9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2011 9:20 AM by peter minneapolis

Wraparound Cover: The End Game

tm6550

The wraparound cover for my novel contains two images created in Photoshop Elements 8 and typography added with InDesign 5.5, all using RGB color space.

I have exported the file to PDF using High Quality Print and every other option on the default settings. CreateSpace, Amazon's print-on-demand service, has reviewed this file and approved it for printing the proof copy with the following note: "The cover file contains transparency that will be manually flattened during our processing and may cause a color shift."

I have reviewed the InDesign Help document in an attempt to better understand what flattening is, and find myself a bit overwhelmed by all the considerations presented when choosing the various options available for the flattening process. This raises the question of whether there would be any advantage to converting to CMYK color space and flattening the file before sending the PDF to CreateSpace, or to let them do it.

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks. 

• 1. Re: Wraparound Cover: The End Game
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't, nor never have used Photoshop Elements. A good program, but I use Photoshop.

See if there is a command in Elements for flattening the file. In Photoshop, that would be Layers > Flatten Layers. That would reduce all the layers to one layer, and remove transparency. Then you could try sending that file.

• 2. Re: Wraparound Cover: The End Game
            tm6550 Level 1

Thanks, Steve, I've considered that, but there's a bit of forum backstory here.

The consensus of previous expert opinion about designing the cover indicated that I'd be better off handling the images in Elements and all the typography in InDesign. So that's what I did, and I think the final result is an improvement because of the additional control over typography InDesign offers. I'd be reluctant at this point to backtrack to the Elements cover.

From what I've read about transparency and color and what happens during flattening with InDesign, it appears that I can accomplish it as well or better within this application. Am I wrong about that?

• 3. Re: Wraparound Cover: The End Game

I'm not clear where the transparency is coming from. Do you have transparent layers in Photoshop Elements (is that possible?) Have you set transparency (opacity, blend modes, effects) in InDesign?

• 4. Re: Wraparound Cover: The End Game
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Thought we talked about this last week? There is some potential for color shift if your type and images are in differnt color spaces, but as long as the flattening space matches the background (i.e. RGB if the image is RGB), the shift should occur in the type, if any happens at all. I think you are probably better off leaving the color as-is and letting the printer do the flattening, both becasue they should know the correct profiles for conversion and as I recall we never were really able to get that information, and if they manage to do it in the RIP instead of in ID, the potential for stitching is reduced.

How much do they charge for a proof? I think you should order one to see if it looks OK. It's a lot easier to talk about ways to solve concrete problems than to speculate on what might or might not happen.

• 5. Re: Wraparound Cover: The End Game
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Steve,

My memory is there is a drop shadow applied to the type.

• 6. Re: Wraparound Cover: The End Game

Thanks for the clarification. I was swamped with work (good thing!) last week and couldn't follow all the threads.

• 7. Re: Wraparound Cover: The End Game
                      tm6550 Level 1

I apologize for the confusion, but yes, there are effects applied to the type, and yes, we talked about this last week. I started this discussion to get an opinion on whether it would be better for me to do the flattening or let them do it, and Peter has answered that, thank you. The proofs aren't expensive, I just wanted to avoid trial and error of multiple proofs if I could do something ahead of time that would facilitate the best possible result. I'll mark this answered and upload the file as it is now and see what happens. I appreciate the help.

• 8. Re: Wraparound Cover: The End Game
                        Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant
                        the flattening space matches the background (i.e. RGB if the image is RGB)

I go with the following methodology: Set the Transparency Blend Space to what colorspace the endproduct will be. So if a project will be printed digitally or offset, regardless of the colorspace of images placed, the blend space is set to CMYK. Reasons I have stated in the past: drop shadows on text. If you use the RGB Transparency Flattener, your shadow will be converted to 4 color mix. A horrible situation for offset printing, and not the best for a digital printing either.

• 9. Re: Wraparound Cover: The End Game
                          peter minneapolis Level 4

tm6550 wrote:

I apologize for the confusion, but yes, there are effects applied to the type, and yes, we talked about this last week. I started this discussion to get an opinion on whether it would be better for me to do the flattening or let them do it, and Peter has answered that, thank you. The proofs aren't expensive, I just wanted to avoid trial and error of multiple proofs if I could do something ahead of time that would facilitate the best possible result. I'll mark this answered and upload the file as it is now and see what happens. I appreciate the help.

How will you know if this proof is the "best possible" if it's the only proof you'll see? If cost truly is small, consider creating at least one other - hide* the text layer, or save a copy and delete the text layer, then flatten either in PE or ID, then unhide or add the text layer and proof that. An additional variation would be to flatten the type layer with the already-flattened non-text version.

Consider the cost of the extra proofs as research for future use. You could recoup the cost by offering the info as a PayPal purchase.

* I'm not sure if a hidden layer is flattened with visible layers. Probably someone can answer that.

Good luck with proofing.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices