4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2011 11:43 AM by Mike Basil

Additional File Formats and Plugins popup

Mike Basil Level 2

I have deleted the effects folder in Plug-ins directory, and now, every time i start After Effects annoying message box pops up, saying it has attempted to install these plugins and failed (because i've canceled it )

Is there a way to get rid of the message (without AE attempting to download additional stuff)

Many thanks in advance

mike

• 1. Re: Additional File Formats and Plugins popup
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is there a way to get rid of the message (without AE attempting to download additional stuff)

No. Just let it finish the install. And it's not downloading anything, it's just restoring the default configuration from the installer backup. Why anyone would want to delete the whole effects folder is beyond me, anyway. This is like screwing out the lightbulbs in a room with no windows to conserve electricity on the chance that someone might actually accidentally turn them on... It's just not smart. As long as you don't use them, none of that gets in teh way, so there is no need to remove anything.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Additional File Formats and Plugins popup
            Mike Basil Level 2

hey, your answer is working,

when developing plugins for AE (i do!) you start/exit it quite often, it

does makes the difference - if you dont believe me just start AE with a

debugger and see how much time it takes to load all of them. Sure one

plugin does it quite quickly, but that there are hundreds of them!!!

sure, your metaphor is quite cool, but i would instead consider scraping

molluscs from the bottom of the (speed) boat.

:-P

Am 29.08.2011 19:06, schrieb Mylenium:

>> Is there a way to get rid of the message (without AE attempting to download additional stuff)

No. Just let it finish the install. And it's not downloading anything, it's just restoring the default configuration from the installer backup. Why anyone would want to delete the whole effects folder is beyond me, anyway. This is like screwing out the lightbulbs in a room with no windows to conserve electricity on the chance that someone might actually accidentally turn them on... It's just not smart. As long as you don't use them, none of that gets in teh way, so there is no need to remove anything.

Mylenium

>

• 3. Re: Additional File Formats and Plugins popup
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

In that case simply put the folders and plug-ins you don't want to be loaded in parentheses. AE will still see them, but not scan their inside nor load the plug-ins. A few "core" plug-ins will be required, though. I believe AE wants at least 1 plug-in in all its default categories like Blur, Stylize, Distort etc. since the menu cannot be totally empty. This migh twork better than trying to strip everything. Also of course don't touch plug-ins that add custom UI buttons in core panels liek Rotobrush, Warp Stabilizer and the Puppet Tool do...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Additional File Formats and Plugins popup
                Mike Basil Level 2

guess what, i just left Foundry and few other small plugins, like Median, Box_blur, without brackets, and it does not bother me with trying to install other plugins!

many thanks