3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2011 11:52 AM by RaenLite

Probably a dumb question... but

RaenLite

Is there any way to import formats (variables, page size, paragraph styles, etc.) like you can in FrameMaker? Or is a template document the best option?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Probably a dumb question... but
          peter minneapolis Level 4

RaenLite wrote:

Is there any way to import formats (variables, page size, paragraph styles, etc.) like you can in FrameMaker? Or is a template document the best option?

Thank you in advance.

You FrameMaker folks (like me) are all alike. You want to gain all the great stuff in InDesign, and keep all the great stuff from FrameMaker!

YES! It's done differently. In InDesign's paragraph or character or table, or object styles, or swatches panels, open the panel menu (aka "flyout" menu, the icon at the top-right corner of the panel) and select "Load <style type>." Search Google for terms like "InDesign load styles" without quotes for details.

[EDIT]Similarly, you can load variables and cross-reference formats, and master pages. Search Google for terms like "InDesign load master page variable cross-reference format" without quotes.[/EDIT]

This is for loading/importing from one file to the current file. The source file doesn't need to be open, as in FrameMaker. To import from one file to selected or all files in a book, you "synchronize" from the book's panel menu. Search Google for terms like "InDesign synchronize book" without quotes for details.

HEADS-UP: Forget about finding run-in or side-head paragraphs. Search Google for terms like "InDesign run-in sidehead paragraphs workarounds" without quotes for discussions. Also, enter a formal feature request at Wishform.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro

• 2. Re: Probably a dumb question... but
            RaenLite Level 1

Thanks Peter,

I currently have a few large FrameMaker and InDesign projects on the go... Including manuals on how to import into FrameMaker and InDesign from Word (respectively).

I am trying to simplify the process for my fellow writers if they ever need to help with any of my projects, and it would be much easier if the two programs were slightly more alike. lol. But for now, they have a 50 page document for each application.

• 3. Re: Probably a dumb question... but
              RaenLite Level 1

Thanks, Peter.

It is nice to know that I can "cheat" a little bit with my InDesign work,