5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2011 9:10 AM by ts_quint90

Changing field display options for external video preview?

ts_quint90

I'm running CS 5.5 with two desktop monitors (fed by a GTX 465) for the editing workspace, and one external monitor (Samsung 1080p LED TV) fed by a secondary graphics card (GeForce 6600 GT) for a preview monitor. This is an "upgrade" from previously using a DV deck (fed by firewire connection) previewing on a Sony SD studio monitor.

Technically, the Samsung monitor works just fine: seen as a 3rd extended desktop via Windows, and then is selectable as a preview monitor when Premiere is running. The feed from the graphics card is DVI -> VGA input on the Samsung, until I get a DVI -> HDMI cable/converter.

When working within an HD/progressive timeline, the external preview on the Samsung TV looks perfect. But when working in an SD/interlaced timeline (DV NTSC), it's pushing a single-field video signal. I first ran into this problem when I upgraded to CS 5 in the first place: realizing that the preview/program monitor windows now has options to display first, second or both fields... why you would want to only view one field doesn't make sense to me in the first place. Anyway, the point is that Premiere seems to be pushing this "single-field" video signal to my external monitor, and there is no way that I can find to change the options like you can with the preview/program windows.

Other than the basic settings via the "Playback Settings" window, is there any way to tell Premiere to send both fields to my external monitor?

**UPDATE**

So I just tried two things to investigate the problem further, and it seems as if though Premiere simply can not scale DV NTSC properly at all.

1) I highlighted the Program monitor window and selected "Maximize Frame", which basically scales up the window to fit the screen... and got the same messed up video I was getting on the external monitor, which seemed to be only one field of the interlaced video being displayed.

2) Instead of selecting the third monitor as an external preview via the "Playback Settings", I dragged the Premiere workspace onto the third monitor (via extended desktop mode), and then dragged the Program Monitor window so that it would encompass the entire third monitor's screen space... same problem. At this point I started to mess around with the Program Monitor panel size (dragging it larger and smaller with the mouse), and there's a definite cutoff point as to when the video signal looks good, and when it starts to look bad. It seems that when it's scaled to anything larger than it's native video size (720x480), Premiere starts dispalying it incorrectly.

Screencaps (note: the resolution of these screen cap are from the Samsung @ 1920x1080):

premiere_scaling1.jpg

premiere_scaling2.jpg

I never had any problems with the video preview/monitoring in CS 3 running in Windows XP, but ever since we upgraded to Win 7 64-bit and then CS 5, I can't seem to get a solid video playback when Premiere's internal video processing is in charge (* the only pristine image I got was via the firewire-connected DV deck, outputting to an SD tube monitor).

Message was edited by: ts_quint90

• 1. Re: Changing field display options for external video preview?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

External monitoring is usually done for critical evaluation purposes.  You can't do that with SD on an HDTV.  For proper critical viewing of SD media, you need an SD set that can display proper interlacing - that means CRT.  So, yes, that means two external sets for two work flows, one for SD and one for HD.  There's no other way to do it right.

Time to break out the old Sony and FireWire cable.

• 2. Re: Changing field display options for external video preview?
            ts_quint90 Level 1

Like I stated with my update to the post, the problem is actually occuring because Premiere can't seem to scale the video signal correctly. However, I'm not sure if it's 100% Premiere's fault, or if it has something to do with the 64-bit operating system (never had any issues like this while running any pre-CS5 Premiere on a 32-bit OS).

I'm also wondering if the only way to make my current setup work is to go ahead and buy a supplementary I/O card or device to feed an external monitor; something like an Intensity Pro or Matrox box. I would hope that that device would take over the video scaling/rendering and be able to display a clean signal.

• 3. Re: Changing field display options for external video preview?
              joe bloe premiere Level 5

Jim Simon - Apr 18, 2011:

Premiere Pro is looooong overdue for a proper monitoring solution, one that does not depend on closing or extending desktops, one that does not depend on third party codecs at all, one that works with just about any graphics card that has the appropriate port.

Sooooo true.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Changing field display options for external video preview?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                the problem is actually occuring because Premiere can't seem to scale the video signal correctly.

Actually, the problem is occurring because proper monitoring should not include any scaling at all.  You can't get a correct SD signal displayed onto an HDTV.  There will be scaling and deinterlacing of some sort going on, and you don't want that.  You need to use a CRT set (and hence, FireWire out) for correct SD monitoring.

• 5. Re: Changing field display options for external video preview?
                  ts_quint90 Level 1

I am fully aware of how to "correctly monitor" an SD signal; that wasn't the issue.

Anyway, I figured out a solution for the problem I was having: enabling GPU accelerated rendering. I had to use the graphic card hack trick because my GTX 465 isn't officially supported, but the SD signal is no longer having issues scaling itself and generally looking strobed/half-field only. The only issue now is viewing the interlaced video on this progressive monitor/TV, but it just looks the same as watching interlaced video on your computer without running it through a media player that auto-deinterlaces. It would be nice if you could tell Premiere to deinterlace it's preview video signal before sending it down the pipe to the monitor, because my Samsung can't compensate for it.