2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2011 5:14 AM by TradeMark16

How big can a web based Flex application be?

TradeMark16

I currently have an application for a client written in PowerBuilder and it's about 50mb of code.  I know we are not comparing apples to apples but would a project that size be suitable for converting to a web based application written in Flex?  What pitfalls would i run into on a prject that size?

Any feedback would be great.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: How big can a web based Flex application be?
          saisri2k2 Level 4

It depends on the number of screens you have.

I've developed a flex application which was 10 MB size, about 300-400 screens and most of them are re-used across the applciation but using states(By doing this you can reduce the size of the swf). So, we went to a modular approach(i.e., 1 MB chunk of 10 pieces of swf instead of 10 MB) (load the chunk only when required). So, even if the application is huge, you can always split it up by libraries, modules and sub applications and load them as and when needed rather than loading the whole 10 MB file.

My personal experience with flex is its compilation time, it takes like 1-2 mins or even more to build the whole project into one single swf as the project keeps on growing, so, it is a little frustating unless you have experienced flex developer handling the compile time load by splitting the application.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How big can a web based Flex application be?
            TradeMark16 Level 1

Very helpful response, thanks.

My application doesn't have that many screen and you gave me some thoughts and good advice, thanks again.