1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 29, 2011 2:05 PM by whitefinger

Communicating between components

whitefinger Level 1

I'm sure this is an easy question  but I'm finding it hard to get to  grips with programming an need a  nudge in the right direction please

I   created my site for the first time in Flash Catalyst and now rightly  or  wrongly i have about 50 components and a main. Now most of the work  is  done in my components and i feel I'm nearly half way in writing the  code  in Flash Builder. But it would be a lot easier if i could pass  data  between one of the components to another, as i have one component  that's  displays a tile list of users and then the client selects the  user of  interest which then fires a state selected and then we go to  the new  component which displays the user full info in question.

so I'm trying to pass the ID from component "component_users" to component "component_userinfo"

so i can use the ID property to retrie the data with a SQL string.

But every time i search on the net and try something i just always get errors of the kind that means I'm not doing it right

i   have tried setting up globals ie import mx.core.FlexGlobals; but my   variables are in a component and not in main so that didn't work.

i   have tried making a function and then calling it but that didn't work   component_users.function but maybe i did that wrong maybe

i   have tried making variables [Bindable]

does anyone one know what the correct procedure is or can u not call from other components?