10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 7:22 AM by Colin Flashman

Pdfs and InDesign (printout issues)

Sam_Bone

I'm  having trouble with the way my ads print in our local newspaper. I am  the graphic designer here where I work and I use InDesign 5 to create  all my layouts for whatever type of print. When it comes to newspaper, I  export my layout as a pdf using the "pdf/x-1a:2001" preset which is  what the newspaper has asked for. I send it to them via ftp and they  load it into their ad tracking system. The problem that is occurring is  that sometimes strokes around text will be missing or replaced with a  different color or larger areas will be blocked out in a wrong color  (usually blue). When they view the pdf before it prints it looks normal,  this is what they've said. What they are trying to convince me the  problem is, is that I'm using CS5 InDesign and it's incompatible with  their ad tracking system. They say CS3 is compatible. What I'm wondering  is if this is at all a possible explanation for these printing errors?  Personally I don't see how the authoring program of a pdf can affect the  way a pdf prints. Isn't that why people use pdfs? Because they are a  universally useable file type or "portable document file". If they are  in fact correct and it can affect how their processing systems handles  it, can you explain to me why? And if it shouldn't make a difference, is  their any help or advice you can offer so that we can finally have our  ads appear the way we'd like on a more regular basis.

Thanks anyone so much in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Pdfs and InDesign (printout issues)
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think they have no idea what they are talking about.

• 2. Re: Pdfs and InDesign (printout issues)
            Sam_Bone Level 1

That's what I think too. I feel confident in my knowledge as a graphic designer and their explanation makes no sense to me, not in the least. I thought I would at least check around to see if anyone else can back up their absurd explanation... or back me up.

• 3. Re: Pdfs and InDesign (printout issues)
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Likewise, sounds like a load of baloney to me.

For an ad tracking system that deals with PDF/X-1a files, the version of InDesign that created same should be totally irrelvant.

What may be happening is that this ad tracking system is not simply storing and forwarding your PDF file, but rather, processing it in some obscene way in order to “fix” it. It is amazing how many publications and printers ruin perfectly fine PDF files by applying all sorts of unnecessary preflights and supposed fixes to files that don't need them.

- Dov

• 4. Re: Pdfs and InDesign (printout issues)
                Sam_Bone Level 1

Agreed. I think if their job is working in a pre-press department at a newspaper they should have knowledge of these issues and fixes or "fixes" as you put it. I know I take my job/career seriously and feel it's my responsiblity to know what I am talking about when I need to explain something to anyone.

Thanks for your input as well, I'll give it a few more days to see how many people on this board agree and/or offer explanations and then I'll bring them my findings.

• 5. Re: Pdfs and InDesign (printout issues)
                  Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant
                  sometimes strokes around text will be missing or replaced with a  different color or larger areas will be blocked out in a wrong color

Regardless of the version of Indesign used to create a PDF, and what the newspaper has reported back to you, there are obviously some things going on that shouldn't. These two issues that you bring up sounds like there could be spot colors involved with your PDF. Color missing around strokes, perhaps their system is ignoring spot colors as opposed to converting to process. A different color or color blocked out are commonly reported issues with spot colors. Can you verify that your PDF does not contain spots?

• 6. Re: Pdfs and InDesign (printout issues)
                    Sam_Bone Level 1

No, it doesn't contain any spot colors. Sometimes it happens with basic black text with a white stroke. :/ Great suggestion, though. Thanks!

• 7. Re: Pdfs and InDesign (printout issues)
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sometimes imported art can have white set to overprint, which means it disappears.

• 8. Re: Pdfs and InDesign (printout issues)
                        Sam_Bone Level 1

That would make sense, but I doubt it would exchange the white for blue in that case. As well, one important thing I forgot to mention is that it prints fine on my color office printer. The strange thing is, and the reason I think Dov Isaacs (above post) could be correct is that sometimes our ads are just pick-ups (repeats of a previous ad) and it'll print fine if we have barley any changes for our ads for the following week, I just take and save my InDesign file as a new name and start editing it from there and then that version might print fine even though it has almost all the same images and text. I'm certain it's on their end.

I contacted Adobe support today and they told me that once the pdf is created, InDesign has done its job and has nothing else to do with it from there on, as we all thought!

• 9. Re: Pdfs and InDesign (printout issues)
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Before it gets too adversarial, you might want to see if there is someone else there you can talk to who is more technical...

• 10. Re: Pdfs and InDesign (printout issues)
                            Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

I'm with John on this... i'd be speaking to someone clued in at the newspaper about their workflow.

When they view the pdf before it prints it looks normal,  this is what they've said

Who is "they"? this is important to know as it determines the amount of skill based around what has been said. is it the editor, sub-editor, the head of graphics, or one of the art-room staffers? i'd insist on talking to the head of the art department (or whoever is responsible for the ad tracking system).

Also, how does the newspaper know what "normal" is? What I mean by this is does the newspaper have a printed proof of what the advertisement is meant to look like? That is, does the newspaper have a comparison for what is on-screen compared to what is expected?

Without knowing the inner-most workings of the paper and the anecdotal cases in point, it's hard to be objective and pinpoint what is going on and give any clear answers - it's something best dealt with at the newspaper.