11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2011 5:14 AM by Lee Hui RSS

InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?

hverlinde Community Member

When working with local InDesign files and local image links, I get warnings about missing links or modified links in case the images have been removed or updated since being placed in InDesign. When working with InDesign through Adobe Drive, the behavior seems to be radically different.

For instance, I place an image from the virtual Z drive and save the InDesign file on the virtual Z drive.

At a later time, the asset is removed from the DAM system (or moved so it is now mapped to a different local path).

When I reconnect through Adobe Drive and open the InDesign file, I will not get a missing link error, instead the link will appear without a missing link icon but also without a path.

Certain workarounds that we have implemented (e.g. remapping the path on the fly in case the asset has been moved) work when the originally placed image was a local file (i.e. occurs in the XMP with a C: path) but not when the originally placed image was retrieved through Drive (i.e. occurs in the XMP with a Z: path). Of course we would like to obtain consistent InDesign behavior regardless of whether the user connects through Drive or not.

Has this different behavior for InDesign links been documented? Can I get any additional information about it?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?

In the mean time I have done some more research. Basically the issue I am struggling with can be illustrated with the following simple scenario:

1. Create a new InDesign file and place an image located at C:\Temp\link.jpg in it. Save the file to the C drive.

2. Connect to your DAM through Drive which is mapped to the Z drive.

3. Create a new InDesign file and place an image located at Z:\Temp\link.jpg in it. Save the file to the C drive.

4. Copy both InDesign files without the links to a clean machine (which has no connection with Drive and no images in the C:\Temp folder).

5. Open the first InDesign file. You will get a missing link error as expected.

6. Open the second InDesign file. You do NOT get a missing link error.

7. Create a new image on the clean machine and save it as "link.jpg" in the same folder as the copied InDesign files.

8. Open the first InDesign file. You will get a warning about a modified link with the option to update the link.

9. Open the second InDesign file. You do NOT get a warning about a modified link. You cannot update the link.

So the problem is in steps 6 and 9.

Why don't I get a missing link error in step 6?

What will happen when I try to print the InDesign document at this stage (or try to export to high resolution pdf)?

At this point the high resolution image link is not available so I assume the preview will be used.

However the user is not at all aware of this. This could turn out to be a major issue for our adoption of Adobe Drive.

Thanks in advance for any additional insight you can provide.

• 2. Re: InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?
            apruneda Community Member

Hi  hverlinde,

have you got any feedback about this issue? We are evaluating the adoption of Adobe Drive and we have found out this problem too.This is an important issue for us too.

Regards,

Alvaro.

• 3. Re: InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?
              Lee Hui Community Member

Currently, In one machine, User creates a new InDesign file(eg. main.indd), place an image located at Z:\Temp\link.jpg in it, and save the file to the C drive. If he deletes/renames Z:\Temp\link.jpg, the following dialog will be show when open the InDesign file(main.indd).

MissLink.PNG

But if user copies that InDesign file(main.indd) to another machine and open it, above dialog won't be shown. It's an issue for Adobe Drive working with InDesign. We can fix it in next release.

For your case, I think it's better to mount Adobe Drive Disk on the machine where you copy the InDesign files to.

• 4. Re: InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?

Thanks for the reply.

Currently, In one machine, User creates a new InDesign file(eg. main.indd), place an image located at Z:\Temp\link.jpg in it, and save the file to the C drive. If he deletes/renames Z:\Temp\link.jpg, the following dialog will be show when open the InDesign file(main.indd).

I cannot reproduce this. I get the same behavior (i.e. no missing link warning) both on two separate machines and on one machine.

But if user copies that InDesign file(main.indd) to another machine and open it, above dialog won't be shown. It's an issue for Adobe Drive working with InDesign. We can fix it in next release.

This would be a high priority fix for us. Has a next release already been planned for Adobe Drive?

For your case, I think it's better to mount Adobe Drive Disk on the machine where you copy the InDesign files to.

Unfortunately, this is not always possible. Depending on the publishing workflow, the InDesign file and links may eventually end up e.g. at a printer agency that has no access to the customer's DAM system.

• 5. Re: InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?
                  Lee Hui Community Member

Could you tell me the version information of Adobe Drive and InDesign that you use?

• 6. Re: InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?

I am using Adobe Drive 3.0.0.70 and InDesign CS5 (7.0.4).

• 7. Re: InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?
                      Lee Hui Community Member

Our QE did testing on my cases, and their results are the same as mine. So could you provide your machine info(OS version) and try my cases on another machine? I will record this issue in our bug tracking system.

• 8. Re: InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?

I have done some additional testing on another test server and I think I know what may be causing the different behavior.

When I follow your steps, I do get a missing link warning, but ONLY if the link was originally added to the DAM system through Adobe Drive on the same client machine (i.e. using the CheckInHandler).

If I try the same steps with a link that was already present in the DAM system before installing Adobe Drive (or a link that was added to the DAM system from another client machine), then I don't get the missing link warning.

This is a serious problem since images can be added to the DAM from many different clients and many image files may already be present in the DAM system when a customer starts using Adobe Drive.

Can you please try to reproduce this behavior, i.e. placing Z:\Temp\link2.jpg but WITHOUT first adding this file to the DAM from the same client machine?

I have some screen capture movies that I can send you through email if needed.

• 9. Re: InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?
                          Lee Hui Community Member

Our QE will try to reproduce your case. Thanks a lot for providing these useful information. We are appreciated if you can send us your screen capture movies. My email: huli@adobe.com

• 10. Re: InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?

Hi,

Have you been able to reproduce this issue?

Did you receive the movies I sent through email?

Thanks,

Hannes

• 11. Re: InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?
                              Lee Hui Community Member

Hi Hannes,

I have received your movies and email. We can reproduce you issue.

We have logged it into our bug system. We'll fix it in future.

Thanks,

Hui