10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2011 11:16 PM by John Hawkinson

CS4 mac OS having problems with numbers and puncuation

cyyraxx86

Hi, i am working with my friend on his CS4 to create a sales brochure for his company.  The main issue we are having right now is that all punctuation at the end of all lines is being moved to the begining of the line, obviously periods are supposed to be at the end.  The second problem we are having is when we type a number InDesign is converting the number to strange glyph looking symbols.  Any help would be greatly appreciated and i thank you in advance for any help.

PS - In terms of the puncuation.  If puncuation is used in the middle of the text it stays where it is supposed to - ie - commas

• 1. Re: CS4 mac OS having problems with numbers and puncuation
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First thing to try is Replace Your Preferences

If the problem persists, show us a screen shot. Uset he camera icon to embed the image in your post:

CameraIcon.png

• 2. Re: CS4 mac OS having problems with numbers and puncuation
            cyyraxx86 Level 1

This is what indesign is putting in when i type numbers.  Here i litteraly typed a bunch of random number just for example purposes.

I dont think replacing the preferences did anything, however i tried putting the periods at the begining of the lines and go figure, it put them at the end like i needed, so that problem is solved.  Still need help figuring these numbers out.

Again, thanks in advance.

Screen shot 2011-08-30 at 2.38.34 PM.png

• 3. Re: CS4 mac OS having problems with numbers and puncuation

It's helpful to mention that you are using the ME version. Lots of stuff is different.

I don't have ME, but I'm pretty sure there is a setting for numbering style.

• 4. Re: CS4 mac OS having problems with numbers and puncuation
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know if email answers work (they should, shouldn't they?), but

here goes:

To change the "glyphs" (which are probably arab numerals -- well, Arabic

is what we use, so I think they're actually called Hindi numerals)

simply set the language to English.

To get your full stops (US periods) back on to the right side of the

page, set the paragraph to be a left-to-right paragraph, instead of

right-to-left.

That should fix it.

Ariel

• 5. Re: CS4 mac OS having problems with numbers and puncuation
                  cyyraxx86 Level 1

You were correct for the puncuation.  I appologize i am pretty new to InDesign, but where would i find the language setting?

• 6. Re: CS4 mac OS having problems with numbers and puncuation

Language is a character level setting. Select the text and either look inthe Character panel or Control panel and you'll see a drop-down field for language.

• 7. Re: CS4 mac OS having problems with numbers and puncuation
                      cyyraxx86 Level 1

I thknk we are deffinately onto something here.  Again i appologize for my noob'ness.  Since me and my mate are new to ID im not sure what you mean when you say the "character panel" and "control panel."  I tried highlighting the text (symbols) and looking for some type of drop down menu for language but could not find.  Can you be more descript in terms of locating this feild once the text has been highlighted?

Thanks

• 8. Re: CS4 mac OS having problems with numbers and puncuation

You'll find panels under the Window menu.

This is really core knowledge that you need before you can work in ID. You need to get some training materials. The help files are free. Google for InDesign Tutorials and you may find some other free stuff. Sandee Cohen's Visual Quickstart Guide book is very popular for new users, though I don't believe it covers ME features, and Lynda.com has very good video turorials, but also not free.

• 9. Re: CS4 mac OS having problems with numbers and puncuation
                          cyyraxx86 Level 1

Well Peter we all have to start somewhere.  I feel i learn better by getting my hands dirty, compared to reading materials which i have a hard time retaining.  Get ahold of me if you ever start producing electronic dance music, Ill school you to the ways modular synthesis .  Anyways back to the topic, i did figure out the problem, turns out i had to switch from Essential ME to Advanced ME to make the language setting viewable in the control panel.  So for you guys on here with thousands of post, spreading knowledge to unsuspecting NOOBS there is a button by the searchbar that allows you to switch from essentials to advanced.  Put that in your knowledge bank.  Also you can see what ME mode (Essentials or Advanced) people are in from screen shots for future questions

Thanks everybody

• 10. Re: CS4 mac OS having problems with numbers and puncuation
                            John Hawkinson Level 5
                            i did figure out the problem, turns out i had to switch from Essential ME to Advanced ME to make the language setting viewable in the control panel.

In general, most people change the language setting the the Character panel, not the Control panel. Knowing how to bring up the Character panel is really an essential part of using InDesign -- it's a bit difficult for some of us to realize you might not know that.

"Essential" vs. "Advanced" are just workspace presets for what the default set of windows up are. Generally speaking, it's not useful to pay attention to them beacuse everyone starts from one of them and then opens additional windows, and many people make changes to those presets and save them, or save them under other names. The upshot being that the name of the preset as displayed is not a terribly useful indicator of what windows (or settings on the Control bar, which is quite configurable.

Also, the behavior of the Control panel is quite dependent on the amount of screen real estate, which makes it a bad example to try to teach with, because so many people will see different things dependng on their configuration.