19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2012 9:06 AM by londonxp RSS

Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

Mercatus2099 Community Member

So I could really use some assistance from you guys.  I've recently purchased and Alienware M17xR3 laptop for mobile editing on Premiere Pro CS5.5.  I did extensive research before I purchased it and came up with the following configuration.

OS:  Windows 7 64-Bit Home Edition with all the lastest updates.

CPU:       Intel Core i7 2720QM with the latest drivers.

RAM:       8GB DDR3 (I'll be ugrading this to 16GB in the near future, if I can get Premiere Pro to work)

Video      card:  Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M with 1.5 GB of GDDR5 Ram with the      latest drivers.

Hard      Drives: The laptop came with a 1.5TB Raid 0 config from 2 750      GB 7,200 RPM drives.  I then have two external 750GB WD usb 3.0      drives.  I'm using the 3 disk general disk guidelines posted on this      forum.  C – OS, Programs, Page File, D – Media, Projects, and E      – Previews, Media Cache, Exports

I'm trying to edit AVCHD clips from my AF100, HMC150, and GH2. I've retained all of the original file structures.

I'm currently using the trail version of Premiere Pro just to make sure it will work with my computer. I cannot get it to work, and I'm not going to purchase the full version until I can get the trail version to work. To me, this is why you have a trial version. Unfortunately, because of this, Adobe won't provide me with any technical support. But why would I purchase such an expensive program that won't work on my system? 

Anyways, everytime I bring clips, whether they are AVCHD, mp4, or avi, into my source monitor, the program becomes completely unresponsive (i do wait for the files to finish conforming).  9/10 times it crashes right then and there.  If I'm lucky, I'll get to play about 15 seconds and maybe do a little scrubbing before the program crashes.  It's the same when I create a sequence and try to play it back.  It crashes pretty quickly.

I've been trying to get this program to work everyday for nearly two weeks.  If you guys can't hep me out I'm giving up on Adobe, selling my Alienware laptop, and buying a Macbook Pro with Final Cut X.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Have you also updated your audio drivers to the latest?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

yes, i did update my audio drivers

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

OK, that pretty much covers the really easy stuff - vidoe & audio drivers.

Do you have any active, real-time scanning anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-anything programs going? If so, turn them OFF, and test.

If that does not help, then let's take a look at your Event Viewer, to see if you can get some clues from it, as to what is happening, along the time of the crashes. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

Ok, thanks for the suggestions Bill.  I don't have any real-time scanning anti-anything programs running. 

What I did do was a complete uninstall (and removed all preferences).  Then I cleaned the drive and fixed all registry errors.  I've reinstalled the program, and now it runs a little longer before it hangs and becomes unresponsive.  Not sure why that is, but basically the problem remains. 

So I followed your advice and checked the event log after that last time it crashed and here are the two error reports that it created:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Hang

Date:          8/31/2011 7:10:26 PM

Event ID:      1002

Task Category: (101)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      PC-1

Description:

The program Adobe Premiere Pro.exe version 5.5.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 1378

Start Time: 01cc682ed742cdc6

Termination Time: 45

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

Report Id: 57ff57b9-d426-11e0-8c77-68a3c4478106

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Hang" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>101</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-31T23:10:26.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>11382</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>PC-1</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Adobe Premiere Pro.exe</Data>

<Data>5.5.0.0</Data>

<Data>1378</Data>

<Data>01cc682ed742cdc6</Data>

<Data>45</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe</Data>

<Data>57ff57b9-d426-11e0-8c77-68a3c4478106</Data>

<Binary>430072006F00730073002D0074006800720065006100640000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Windows Error Reporting

Date:          8/31/2011 7:10:26 PM

Event ID:      1001

Task Category: None

Level:         Information

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      PC-1

Description:

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: AppHangB1

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

P2: 5.5.0.0

P3: 4d8a89e8

P4: 2540

P5: 1

P6:

P7:

P8:

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Temp\WERBB43.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC1E9.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_Adobe Premiere P_3a7121e6e23b12b90b13b3a60d3e346df255621_197bca41

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 57ff57b9-d426-11e0-8c77-68a3c4478106

Report Status: 1

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-31T23:10:26.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>11381</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>PC-1</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>AppHangB1</Data>

<Data>Not available</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>Adobe Premiere Pro.exe</Data>

<Data>5.5.0.0</Data>

<Data>4d8a89e8</Data>

<Data>2540</Data>

<Data>1</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Temp\WERBB43.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC1E9.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml</Data>

<Data>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_Adobe Premiere P_3a7121e6e23b12b90b13b3a60d3e346df255621_197bca41</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>57ff57b9-d426-11e0-8c77-68a3c4478106</Data>

<Data>1</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Any thoughts? really at a loss here. 

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

One question: that URL: http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event obviously will not work for others, as it ties into your Event Viewer, and to the Event log. Was there anything there?

Maybe others will be able to help, as I am pretty much out of ideas there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

when i click on the link for online help, the following comes up:

"Results for: Microsoft Product: Windows Operating System; Version: 6.1.7600.16385; Event ID: 1002; Event Source: Application Hang;

No results were found for your query. Please see Search Help for suggestions."

I've had 60 of these error events in the past two weeks since I started my trial.  I'm at a complete loss about what to do with this.  The whole reason I built this computer was to run Premiere Pro and I can't get any help to solve this problem.  It just freezes and hangs there everytime I try to use it.  Alienware is offering to get their tech support to try and figure out the problem for a fee (the cost of which will depend on how much work they have to do to fix it).  If that doesn't work, I feel like I'm forced to sell this computer at a loss, by a Macbook Pro, and edit everything on Final Cut.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

is it possible that i just don't have enough ram to smoothly edit AVCHD natively?  I'm keeping my system ram to 3gb which leaves 5 for premiere pro.  Would ugprading to 16gb of ram allow me to avoid experiencing these of spinning wheels of doom?

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

maybe someone can help me out with this question.  it seems like the length of my AVCHD clips effects how quickly premiere pro hangs and freezes.  The longer the clip, the faster the program crashes. 

with the longer programs, the video freezes, but i can still hear audio playback.  if i try to click on anything or stop playback, the program hangs and freezes.

maybe someone can help me understand what exactly the program is doing when it's playing back footage in the source monitor?  is it creating files somewhere?  maybe in the cache?  it doesn't seem to be using up all my ram when the crash happens.  i don't have any anti-spyware or real time monitoring programs running that would be preventing it from creating temp files.  any ideas?

also, any answers for my previous question?  how much ram is needed to edit AVCHD smoothly?

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing
                          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Are you playing the footage from the RAID 0 array? Or the USB 3.0 drives?

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

i've tried both extensively, and it happens no matter where i'm playing the media from.

i was hoping it was due to the way i arranged my drives, but i followed the generic disk guidelines set forth in this forum exactly.  and even played around with the arrangement to see if it would make a difference.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

i haven't changed any of my default windows page file settings.  could this be part of the problem?  how do i set them properly?

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

i've been looking at new threads on this forum and it seems like i'm not the only one having a problem with premiere hanging when editing avchd footage.  anybody editing this codec without any trouble?  i'd love to know the setup up of someone who can edit avchd footage smoothly without the program hanging and freezing.

also, any assistance with proper page file setting?

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

i just installed the 5.5.1 update but premiere actually seems to crash faster than before.

i had gotten to the point where i was deleting preferences everysingle time i opened premiere and making sure my cache folder wasn't too larger.  if i did this everytime, i could get 3-5 minutes of editing and playback before the program would freeze.

now it's hanging in the 5-10 second range again.

i just want to edit my footage.  i don't understand why i haven't been able to get premiere to work in nearly a month.  it's been a tremendous waste of time.

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

anybody have any advice at all?

my trial is about to expire...

and i've spent the entire month just trying to get premiere to work.

once this trial is over i have to switch to a different nle.

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

in a last ditch effort, i completely uninstalled, again, ran c cleaner, ran adobe cleaner, reinstalled, updated to 5.5.1 and then downloaded a trial of neoscene and converted my footage to avi.

premiere still hangs and freezes. 

any help at all?

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing
                                        Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Potentially dumb question, but when you stated:

"Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M with 1.5 GB of GDDR5 Ram with the latest drivers."

Did you explicitly download the 460M drivers from nVidia's website?  Or are you relying on Windows Update?  I've seen many people make the blind assumption that Windows update will get you the latest...  that trips up people all the time.

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing

not a dumb question. 

the thing is, alienware mods the nvidia drivers, so i actually have to get them from dell.  so i have the latest graphic card drivers for my system, but they're not technically the latest ones from the nvidia website.  when i try to download those it tells me i don't have a combatible system and that i have to d/l from alienware.

the thing is, whether i use the gpu or only the cpu, the program crashes either way

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing
                                            Xoomtell Community Member

Hi

Have you solved your problem or have you sold your pc and bought a Macpro and FC?

I guess you could b unlucky sometimes using a laptop. If you chips's desktop with i7 cpu lots of ram and Quick disks it will run. But even then avchd needs a fast pc to run completely smiley with no issues...

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 keeps crashing
                                              londonxp Community Member

I had the same problem after importing AVCHD files for the first time. Suddenly my CS5 project I was working with would freeze, hang and crash. I read that there was a bug fix reading these types of files in the latest Premiere 5.51 release, so I updated it. STILL crashed and hung. Then I deleted ALL related preview files that had been generated for the new footage located in the Cache directorys. When I re-opened the project I saw that Premiere regenerated all associated files for the footage, and wala! Smooth sailing.