12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 1:27 PM by illucine

Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?

relwarcrepus

I had a look at "Generic Guideline for Disk Setup".

Can someone guide me how to set up my following disks?

1 X 320GB

2 X 250GB

2 x 1.5TB

• 1. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

C: 1 X 320GB, OS & programs

E: 2 X 250GB, pagefile, media cache & previews

D: 2 x 1.5TB, media & projects

Exports can be located on D or E, depending on the space required.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
            relwarcrepus Level 1

Hi.

Thank you for your reply.

Please bear with my beginning phase of setting up my disks.

By C:, D:, E:, do you mean RAID (which RAID)?

I also read "Storage rules for an editing rig. Some basics", Rule 4. What size should I make my pagefile? I have 6GB RAM. 9GB?

At "How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482 I read, "However, if you remove the paging file from the boot partition, Windows cannot create a dump file (Memory.dmp) in which to write debugging information in the event that a kernel mode Stop Error message occurs. This could lead to extended downtime if you must debug to troubleshoot the Stop error message. The optimal solution is to create one paging file that is stored on the boot partition, and then create one paging file on another partition that is less frequently accessed on a different physical hard disk if a different physical hard disk is available."
            Does this apply to Windows 7 also (I have Windows 7 Home Premium) ?

• 3. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
              Jim_Simon Level 9

Here's what I'd do.

For DV, HDV or other tape based media:

C: 250 GB (OS/Programs)

D: 1.5 TB (Projects/Scratch)

E: 1.5 TB (Media)

F: 320 GB (Exports)

G: 250GB (Images - from Encore as Masters)

For AVCHD, XDCAM or other tapeless media:

C: 250GB (OS/Programs)

D: 320 GB (Projects/Scratch)

E: 1.5 TB x2 in a RAID 1 (Media)

F: 250 GB (Exports/Images)

Don't worry about the paging file.  You're fine leaving it where it is, managed by Windows.

Having said that, the next thing I'd recommend is saving your pennies to replace the second 250 GB and the 320 GB with much larger drives, 1TB at least.  (The first 250 GB is fine for the C: drive.)

• 4. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                By C:, D:, E:, do you mean RAID (which RAID)?

C as a single disk and raid0 for D and E.

What size should I make my pagefile? I have 6GB RAM. 9GB?

With only 6 GB I would make the pagefile 12 GB. Your first priority would be to increase memory to 12+ GB.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
                  relwarcrepus Level 1

Thanks for replying.

Harm Millaard wrote:

C as a single disk and raid0 for D and E.

I am new to RAID. I read "To RAID or not to RAID, that is the question". If I understand correctly then you are suggesting that I make the two 250GB disks 'one disk' in RAID 0, and the two 1.5TB disks another 'one disk' in RAID 0?

My concern is then that there is no redundancy, so what do you suggest concerning backup?

With only 6 GB I would make the pagefile 12 GB. Your first priority would be to increase memory to 12+ GB.

Thanks. On your suggestion that will be my first priority then once I can be at peace concerning redundancy.

• 6. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Redundancy is a hot topic, especially with tapeless formats, because nobody wants to lose their precious shots. With tape based formats, you always have the original tapes to use in case of a disk failure and that is why Jim suggested two different approaches. However, that also entails a drawback, because tape based formats are far easier to edit than AVCHD media based formats and do not require as much disk speed (for temporary storage) as the more complex codecs. So the dilemma is speed versus redundancy. For the easy codecs like DV and HDV disk speed is not the main issue, but for complex codecs like AVCHD, disk speed is important, but at the same time redundancy is much more important.

The way to go is by using diligent backups, even if you use redundancy in your array(s). For tapeless formats, you will want to have at least two copies of your media, one to work with on your (redundant) array and one on a physically different drive (array).

The way I do it with tapeless formats is to copy the contents of a card to an external disk, using my notebook. I then copy the contents of the external to a single internal disk on my desktop for backup and to my internal raid30 to work on. So effectively I have three copies of the original media.

The problem with (R)aid0 is there is no redundancy, so if one drive fails, you lose all data. Redundancy can alleviate this problem, but requires more disks and comes with an overhead to calculate parity, making it almost a necessity to use a (costly) dedicated raid controller.

• 7. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
                      Jim_Simon Level 9
                      For the easy codecs like DV and HDV disk speed is not the main issue, but for complex codecs like AVCHD, disk speed is important,

You'll have to enlighten me on this one.  AVCHD at it's nominal highest bitrate (24) is still just under the total for DV (and hence HDV).

• 8. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
                        Jim_Simon Level 9

at peace concerning redundancy.

That's why I personally recommend a RAID 1 at the least, or RAID 3 if you can swing it.  The redundancy is built-in.  You don't have to think about it, you can't forget to do it.

Peace of mind.

• 9. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

Highly compressed codecs like AVCHD need to be 'unpacked'  or 'uncompressed' before you can edit or scroll through the material. Because of the heavy and efficient compression, the need for disk space when uncompressed is larger than with lightly compressed MPEG2. Of course this is only temporary, but it still requires disk speed. There was an article recently, and I think you pointed that out, that says that the efficiency of AVCHD is around 70% better than MPEG2, but that improved efficiency also carries the burden of more CPU effort to 'uncompress' the material for editing AND the extra storage required for that 'uncompressed' material, so 24 Mbps AVCHD is in fact lower than the 25 Mbps DV or HDV material, but after 'uncompressing' it, 24 Mbps may look more like 35 Mbps MPEG2 material.

• 10. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
                            relwarcrepus Level 1

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response in post #3 and sharing what you would do.

The problem I have with your suggestions is that, other than for Media, there is no backup.

• 11. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
                              relwarcrepus Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I really appreciate it. Please bear with me, I had to go scratch my head a bit over the concept "RAID" that's still new to me.
                              The problem I see with Jim's suggestion is that, other than for Media, there too is no backup in his suggestion for AVCHD, XDCAM or other tapeless media, and isn't it less disastrous to lose Media than to lose Projects files?

Harm Millaard wrote:

The problem with (R)aid0 is there is no redundancy, so if one drive fails, you lose all data. Redundancy can alleviate this problem, but requires more disks and comes with an overhead to calculate parity, making it almost a necessity to use a (costly) dedicated raid controller.

OK, so I dream of RAID 3 and eventually RAID 30, but funds permitting, having just spent all my cash buying the PC as described in my previous thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/896165?tstart=0, I have to do with what I have at present and maybe in the near future I can afford one more extra disk to add to my 5 disks plus more RAM.

BACKUP is first priority to me.

I also read that using onboard RAID puts a burden on the CPU and is slow - I do not know if this is true. As I cannot afford a RAID controller at present, will onboard RAID 0 give me faster performance despite the burden it puts on the CPU? Maybe as a beginner I can still bear with slowness having peace of mind that I at least have backups, while I save up for more RAM, hard drives and a RAID controller - I don't know yet, time will tell.

I have five disks only.

So, if I understand correctly, then with (as per your suggestion)
                              C: 1 X 320GB OS & programs,
                              D: 2 x 1.5TB in RAID 0 media & projects, and
                              E: 2 X 250GB in RAID 0 pagefile, media cache & previews,
                              I stand the risk of losing all data in case of disk failure, and should therefore get extra disks for backup?

• 12. Re: Can someone guide me how to set up my disks?
                                illucine Level 1
                                ...that improved efficiency also carries the burden of more CPU effort to 'uncompress' the material for editing AND the extra storage required for that 'uncompressed' material...

So where is "that 'uncompressed' material" stored - is that what the Media Cache is for?

Roy