14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 4:01 AM by Aniks

Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?

kob35irish Level 1

This is the second time I attempted to make a large slide show using Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 4  I am having two main problems:

1.  I do not know how it got there but every time I run the slideshow on Premiere Elements I hear applause on each photo?  Don't know how it got there either and frustrated how to get rid of it

2.  When I move a photo to another place it leaves a blank space.  I try to get rid of the space by going onto Edit and asking to delete and close gap.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.  Then sometimes my only option is to remove the present photo and it does not remove it.

3.  Lastly I wanted to change composing the slide show from Premiere Elements to Photoshop Elements 9 but the latter would not recognize the file.

THIS PROJECT IS A HUGE RUSH PROJECT FOR MY DAUGHTER'S 25TH ANNIVERSARY.  TIME IS RUNNING OUT AND I AM PANICKING.

Thanks for your help.

Kathy

• 1. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Kathy,

With a SlideShow, the Still Images do not have any Audio. Where did the Audio come from? The applause must be there.

As far as the editing, switch to Timeline View Mode, and you will get a much better picture of where the Still Images are.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As to transfering between PSE and PrE, that is easy. What do you wish to do back in PSE, from PrE? That is very likely not possible, but if you can tell us, what you wish to do, it is likely that someone can tell you how to do it, in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
              kob35irish Level 1

Bill, thanks so much for your prompt reply.

I started out using Premiere Elements 4 and added some music but I later eliminated it because I kept adding photos and it was getting complicated.  I should have started out using PSE and in fact I could add audio, even though it was a slide show.  For some reason it seems working in PSE so I wanted to bring my saved PrE4 project into PSE but it would not recognize it.   The project also has been rendered so that is probably why.  I noticed that the file is a Windows Media File....should it be?  I thought it would be a PrE4 file of some sort.  I would have started over using PSE but it is too large.

I must have accidently added that applause somehow but for the life of me I don't know what I did.  I worked both in the Sceneline and in the Timeline.  I used the Timeline to delete the audio before.

I also need to know how to get rid of those blank spaces where I moved files.  They won't go away using the delete, or the remove and close gap options.

Thanks for your help.

Kathy

• 4. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Kathy,

You say that you have PrE 4.0, but I did not see which version of PSE you have. You would need PSE 4.0, to be able to go directly to PrE from PSE. Otherwise, one would need to do, as you have, and Export from PSE as a WMV file, which would then be Imported into PrE.

The weakness in this latter method, the Export/Import, is that a WMV file is highly-compressed, so quality, when coming out of  PrE will be compromised. Next, if one has the same versions of the two programs, and they Send to PrE from PSE, once in PrE, they can choose Break Apart, to get all of the elements in the SlideShow separated again - this cannot be donw with the WMV Export/Import.

Now, even with the WMV Export/Import method, one can still edit, but they are now cutting on a finished AV file, and things are not so easy - they are working on one large Video file, and one large Audio file on the Timeline.

For the blank spaces, one can just cut those out of the Video, but if the whole Clip (the WMV file) has Audio, that needs to stay, things are not quite so easy. In your case, however, it might be easiest to just Delete the Audio from the WMV, cut the Video to suit, and then Import the Audio Clips that were used in PSE, and just use those again, listening closely for the one(s) with the applause, and substitute something else, instead. This editing will be much, much easier in Timeline View Mode.

For that applause, it might be easier to go back to the Project in PSE, find where it is being introduced, and substitute for it there.

Now, if the applause comes during otherwise silent passeges, you can just cut it out, or can lower the Volume to the point that it is not heard. If it comes over music or dialog, there is nothing easy, that can be done. To remove it, and save the music, or dialog, will be virtually impossible and take much time, for probably little improvement.

Let us know just a little bit more about your Project and also the version number of PSE.

Good lukc,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
                  kob35irish Level 1

Sorry for the delay but I had family obligations away from home for a few days.

I have Photoshop Elements 9, the newest version.  I also have Photoshop Elements 6 that were purchased in the same package with the Premiere Elements 4.  However, when I try to access the PE6 version the newest PE9 takes over and I can't get the older version.  Strange.

At any rate, good news.  I was able to get rid of the applause, sort of by accident.  I substituted something else and was able to delete that clip.  Actually I am so new at this I am not even sure what I did but it is gone.  Yeah.

Now the biggest problem I am having is with the audio.  I have inserted the audio by dragging it into the proper place and then save it.  Note that I have not started at the beginning but am inserting the audio at the chosen places.  I then save it when it is at the start and finish section where I want it.  Also, I don't know how to stop it if there is no clip after the one I just inserted so I have to drag it back to the proper place. and then save it.

Problem is that the clips even though saved move around and don't stay where I placed them.  It is so frustrating.

I am sorry I didn't just use the PE9 slide show to start with but too late now.

Thanks for your wonderful guideance.  I think I may have bit off more than I can chew at this stage.

Kathy

• 6. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Kathy,

Just to make sure that we are in the same program, you are adding the Audio in Premiere Elements, right?

You are editing in Timeline View Mode (and not Sceneline View Mode), right?

I always recommend doing the Audio, after the Video work (including Still Images for a Video SlideShow) is done.

If you have already added your Audio, and want to only work on Video/Stills, then you will want to become friends with the Ctrl key, as it will keep edits from Rippeling, affecting some Audio. When you do edits with the Ctrl key, one must be careful, as if they extend the Duration of, say a Still Image, it will NOT move the following Clips to the right.

To make sure that we are all on the same page, can you perhaps post a screen-cap of your Timeline, so we can see exactly what you have, and what you are having trouble with. If you need any help with screen-caps, this ARTICLE will be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
                      Aniks Level 2

The problem that you encounter about "clips not staying where you place" must be happening when you delete something from the composition. PRE works on the concept of composition. It relates clips on a given track to the clips on the other. In your case, it related the image with an audio track. If you make some changes somewhere, it tries to maintain the relation between the image and audio tracks you had previously and thats why the clips sometimes move and sometimes dont, when you delete a particular image/audio.

The best suggestion would be, finalize your slideshow and then add audio accordingly.

• 8. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
                        kob35irish Level 1

Thanks for your reply.  I am not sure I completely understand what you are saying but the clips I have moved or deleted were still with the same audio for the most part.

I am trying to save it in pieces by sharing it to my computer.  The problem I am having now is I can't seem to just highlight (by clicking on each piece) and then save a part of my project.  I thought I did and went to share and saved it to my computer under "piece #1" to since all of the slide show is rendered, it picked up the whole slide show part of which has other audio and some none at all.  I just wanted to save "piece #1" and so forth and put them all together and then on a disk.

It kept my original Project intact.  Can I cut out the piece that I want which sounds risky since the audio won't blend in too well even though I use different music?  I am at another standstill and I only have a few more weeks to get this thing done and if not .....

• 9. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
                          Aniks Level 2

As I understand, you want to save a part of your timeline. I would suggest you to do the following steps:

1. Take your CTI (The red line on the timeline that moves while playback) to the beginning of the part you want to save. Use Keyboard shortcut "Alt" + "[" (Alt Key Along with Square bracket open). This will set the beginning of your workarea bar. (You can also move the workbar area using mouse instead of using keyboar shortcuts)

2. Now, take your CTI to the end of the part. Use Keyboard Shortcut "Alt" + "]" (Alt Key Along with Square bracket close). this will set the end of your workarea bar.

3. Now when you share it to computer, check the option "Share the workarea bar only". This will share that part only.

4. Change the workspace area to the next part again by following the same steps and share them.

I hope this will help you in doing what you intend to and also keep your original project intact.

• 10. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
                            kob35irish Level 1

I am nearing the end of my project but I am still inundated with problems:

1.  The method below for securing a piece of my file in order to save just that piece has worked except for the last piece.  No matter how many times I try to save this last sequence it saves different parts of it and not what I had highlighted using the Alt + method.  Therefore I had to reconstruct from scratch that whole sequence.  Is there a simple way to unmark those areas so I can try to save it like I want?

Now when I put all the files together, just how do I burn it?  i.e. "share", etc. using the disk instead of computer.  I want to be sure that this will be the final DVD and it can be used on my computer or on a TV.

This program is so user unfriendly but I would not have gotten this far without your wonderful help; thanks again.

• 11. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The WAB, if it has been set to just a portion of the Timeline, can be reset. Hit the \ (Backslash) key, to zoom to the full Timeline. In the middle of the WAB, there is a little "box" right in the middle. Dbl-click that, to extend the WAB. Check that the tail-end now covers the full Timeline. If not, just click-drag on the little "bracket" at the end, and extend it to the very end of the Timeline.

As for the creation of a DVD-Video, Share>Burn to Disc should do that fine. If you have any trouble, choose Burn to Folder, and then use a burning utility, like the free ImgBurn, to do the physical burn to disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
                                kob35irish Level 1

Hopefully this will be the last request but... I am ready to burn to disk now that I have assembled all of my pieces previously saved as DVs, but when I click on "Share" I am only given 2 options, not like the ones I had previously.  One is for Online sharing and the other is for UTube.  I returned back to the workspace area but it did not make any difference because I still get only the two options.  So frustrated with all of this.  Thanks for your help.

Kathy

• 13. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You must have a very small monitor or you're working on a laptop.

Expand the size of the My Tasks panel and you'll see all of the output options under the Share tab.

• 14. Re: Newbe requests how to remove "applause" from Project in Premiere Elements 4?
                                    Aniks Level 2

If you are seeing any Back option on that panel, click that and then you must see alot of other options like Computer, webDVD, Disc etc etc.