2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 12:20 AM by Harold Sensei

InDesign, XML Import, switching to/from multicolumn design possible?

Harold Sensei

I have an issue which may or may not require a scripting solution. I have an external data source generating XML-tagged text file which I will flow into a book. Normally, the book is a two column layout, however there are illustrations (and sometimes chunks of explanatory text) that should span both columns. I have built examples of using smart text reflow for single column layout and multicolumn layouts. Using either of these with the smart text reflow turned on works beautifully.

Ideally, I would like an XML tag that says "starting spanning two columns now", inserts a large illustration (could also be a chunk of text though) and another that says "go back to normal 2 column layout". I have made a number of experiments (all unsuccessful) I can't seem to get a working solution. I really like the XML import, but if that isn't possible, I am willing to look at other approaches.

Has anyone encountered a similiar problem?

As a crude illustration....

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,           consectetur adipiscing elit.

Cras quis est ligula. Sed                dictum erat a est porta in

ultrices nisl dignissim. In et            convallis elit. Curabitur pretium

<HYPOTHETICAL_SPAN>magna eu fringilla ornare, tellus arcu faucibus velit, vitae placerat

ligula nulla non sapien. Vestibulum vel erat mauris, et pellentesque

nunc. Vestibulum tincidunt velit ac nulla ornare eu ultricies sapien</HYPOTHETICAL_SPAN>

suscipit. In dignissim                     gravida metus, id auctor erat

eleifend eget nisl dignissim             dictum erat a est porta in

Harold

• 1. Re: InDesign, XML Import, switching to/from multicolumn design possible?
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Just to be clear, when you say:

I have an external data source generating XML-tagged text file which I will flow into a book.

you mean XML Import, not InDesign Tagged Text import, correct?

Ideally, I would like an XML tag that says "starting spanning two columns now", inserts a large illustration (could also be a chunk of text though) and another that says "go back to normal 2 column layout". I have made a number of experiments (all unsuccessful) I can't seem to get a working solution. I really like the XML import, but if that isn't possible, I am willing to look at other approaches.

Can't you just have a tag that maps to a paragraph style that enables Span Columns?

• 2. Re: InDesign, XML Import, switching to/from multicolumn design possible?
            Harold Sensei Level 1

John,

Perfectly correct answer and you saved me a lot of time. I was using an older version of InDesign and had to upgrade to the latest. There it was. I tried it and it still wasn't working. But a video I had watched while it was downloading the latest version answered that question. My original master files were set up as individual text frames (linked together so the smart flow works). It needs to be set up as a single multi-column textframe in the master and it works beautifully.

Many, many thanks.

Mark