18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 10:39 AM by the_wine_snob

importing HDV AVI

Markissocool Level 1

I had some Super 8 transferred to HDV and the telecine service sent it back in AVI files.

I imported them to the timeline and they won't play smoothly.  I was advised to install xvid and divx and it makes no difference.

What are my best options?

• 1. Re: importing HDV AVI
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I doubt that the transfer of Super-8 to HDV will work in the manner you describe. HDV is .M2T format and can only be captured over firewire from tape. If you don't have tape to capture from, you have to ingest by copying the .M2T files to your hard disk. Since you mention AVI files and say they are HDV your best bet is to convert the AVI to M2T files. Maybe it is only the wrapper and renaming will do the trick, otherwise you have to find an external converter or ask your telecine service to redo their work, especially since they utter the absolute curses of every video editor 'Xvid' and 'Divx'.

• 2. Re: importing HDV AVI
            Markissocool Level 1

Thank you. The telecine man is going to send them to me again in my preferred format.  Yes, I would have preferred the orginal tape.

So M2T is the best option?

• 3. Re: importing HDV AVI
              digitlman Level 1
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Harm Millaard wrote:

I doubt that the transfer of Super-8 to HDV will work in the manner you describe. HDV is .M2T format and can only be captured over firewire from tape. If you don't have tape to capture from, you have to ingest by copying the .M2T files to your hard disk. Since you mention AVI files and say they are HDV your best bet is to convert the AVI to M2T files. Maybe it is only the wrapper and renaming will do the trick, otherwise you have to find an external converter or ask your telecine service to redo their work, especially since they utter the absolute curses of every video editor 'Xvid' and 'Divx'.

Not entirely true, m2t is not the only method of acquiring video from HDV tape. They could have done an analog component or SDI capture into an AVI file with any codec they chose. Or they could have captured via firewire into an AVI container instead of an MPEG file. Our Matrox Axio system allows us to capture HDV tapes via firewire into an AVI with Matrox Codec in premiere.

• 4. Re: importing HDV AVI
                joe bloe premiere Level 5

If you are unsure what to ask them for, you could find out
                what all of their delivery options are and report back here
                with that information.

You should then get a definitive answer about what
                available delivery format will best serve your needs.

• 5. Re: importing HDV AVI
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  Not entirely true, m2t is not the only method of acquiring video from HDV tape.

That is rather beside the point, since the starting point is Super-8. Also the OP luckily does not have anything Matrox, at least he did not mention he was handicapped by something like Matrox. A telecine service should know that the native format of HDV is .M2T and not AVI.

• 6. Re: importing HDV AVI
                    Markissocool Level 1

Thanks all.  He is waiting for me to get back to him with my preferred format. So M2T and not 'Lossless AVI' is the best option?

• 7. Re: importing HDV AVI
                      joe bloe premiere Level 5

It depends.
                      You should start by getting their menu of delivery options.
                      Lagarith or UT lossless .avi may not be an option.

The film transfer house I most often receive material from (Filmworkers Club)
                      does not offer either Lagarith or UT codec .avi files.  As a result, I always take
                      delivery in Uncompressed YUV 4:2:2 quirktime files (HUGE but flawless).

I then take these files and flip them into logical and manageable segments
                      using UT YUV4:2:2 codec, and give the original qt's to the agency to archive.

• 8. Re: importing HDV AVI
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Using either Lagarith or UT codecs is fine. It will give you visually lossless AVI files that can easily be edited, but do not use the incredible amount of disk-space of uncompressed.

If they have really converted your material to HDV then .M2T is the preferred way. Keep in mind that HDV is a very specific MPEG2 format with 1440 x 1080 non-square pixels, unless they converted to the lower resolution 720 HDV format.

• 9. Re: importing HDV AVI
                          digitlman Level 1

Actually i am not sure what HDV has to do with you getting your film transferred to files. HDV is a tape format (and a VERY LOW quality one at that) but it seems you are not getting tapes, but you are getting files. I would think you would want high resolution high quality files most likely based on an mpeg4/h264  compression for best quality for the file size.

• 10. Re: importing HDV AVI
                            Markissocool Level 1

He suggested that but the mpeg4 shows up tiny in the window.  For now, I converted the AVI's to MPEG2 and don't notice much, if any difference.  

• 11. Re: importing HDV AVI
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, you are starting with SD material with the Super-8. I would not bother trying to up-rez that to an HD Project, as I doubt that you will like the results.

If you are Importing the telecine work into an HD Project, that is likely why the Frame Size is so small in the Project - it is SD, and not HD, regardless of what file format was used.

To find out about those original AVI files, just download, install and run one through MediaInfo. Post the text from MediaInfo, to tell us what the CODEC and also the Frame Size is.

Good luck, and remember, "making a silk purse (HD) from a sow's ear (Super-8)," is likely not going to result in a nice "silk purse."

Hunt

• 12. Re: importing HDV AVI
                                Navarro Parker Level 3

Are you talking Super-8 (the film) or Hi-8 (the video)?  Super-8 is certainly better than SD resolution. Hi-8 of course is not. Of course, if you found a Digital-8 camera/deck, you could transfer your Hi-8 tapes directly to your computer via DV and Firewire.

Keep in mind, once it's captured via HDV (or DV), you've already got about the worse picture imaginable. (squished non-square pixels, crappy 4:2:0 color sampling. Both DV and HDV are also both limited to 25Mbit/sec).

• 13. Re: importing HDV AVI
                                  digitlman Level 1

He said it was telecine, so i assumed Super-8 Film, which is why it should be done in high rez HD.

• 14. Re: importing HDV AVI
                                    Markissocool Level 1

He is posting them as "Lagarith".  I will choose a different telecine service next time.  The SD transfer I had before was better.

• 15. Re: importing HDV AVI
                                      Markissocool Level 1

He is posting them as "Lagarith".  I will choose a different telecine service next time.  The SD transfer I had before was better.

• 16. Re: importing HDV AVI
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Only the OP can help you there.

If it is Super-8 the film, I cannot imagine how one would consider it to be better than SD, considering that it was just re-sprocketed and gated 1/2 `16mm. Also, as the stock was pretty much limited to Ektachrome 64 (a daylight balance, but before 64D), or 160 T, and neither of them particularly fine grained, coupled with the tiny Frame Size, I would never suggest that the footage would hold up well in an HD Project.

Hunt

• 17. Re: importing HDV AVI
                                          Markissocool Level 1

There are some very good examples to be found online by some of the best wedding videographers.

• 18. Re: importing HDV AVI
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Sounds like Super-8 is making a comeback?

For a bit of tech-talk, maybe see this article from American Cinematographer.

Guess that it's time to dust off my old Beaulieu?

Hunt