8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 4:19 PM by Colin Flashman

Text variables for Other File Formats?

Zoffix222 Level 1

Hey,

I was wondering whether there was a way to load text variables from, say, a text file, or XML file instead of an InDesign file.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to create 5 versions of a catalogue, with the only difference being the pricing for each product.

Ideally, I'd like to have a Text, Excel, or XML file that would contain a price for every product, and I would just load different files with variables for different catalogues.

I figured, I could use Text Variables for this, but it seems to me the only way to load them into InDesign is manually, each one; and with 600+ products in the catalogue, it's doesn't sound too enjoyable.

Is there any way to accomplish what I want?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Text variables for Other File Formats?
          Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

as far as i know, there's no way of actually importing text variables - they have to be entered manually.

need to know more about the catalogue and how it is set up at the moment.

have you considered using layers for the base and 5 different sets of prices? its lazy but once the prices are set up for one variety (in one text thread which flows above the data that is referring to) that the layer could be duplicated and the second price variety is inserted, etc?

for me it would depend how far the project is at the moment (e.g. all finished but now going nowhere as text variables won't work; or still on the drawing board) because if the doc isn't made at the moment, setting up the document using XML data may be the way to go, provided you are familiar with long documents and XML as i have found it to be a steep learning curve which, while it does work, takes me ages to get it working.

have you considered any third party plug-ins which make catalogues using indesign, such as emcatalog, cacidi livemerge, easycatalogCS or the like?

• 2. Re: Text variables for Other File Formats?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Actually, this sounds like a perfect use case for Conditonal Text.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Text variables for Other File Formats?
              Zoffix222 Level 1

Thanks, not sure if I found the same thing you were talking about but I solved my problem.

I created a tab-separated text file with all my pricing, then I used the "Data Merge" (Window->Utilities->Data Merge) and was able to do exactly what I wanted!

The catalogue is still on the drawing board, so I'm happy I found this feature before we created anything

• 4. Re: Text variables for Other File Formats?
                Zoffix222 Level 1

Great to know there is such a feature, as I'll definitely make use of it for the different addresses on the back cover.

For the pricing, using conditional text doesn't avoid the problem of having to enter all the gazillion of prices by hand

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Text variables for Other File Formats?
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

you should be able to export to IDML and fill in the conditional text or text variables inside the IDML in an automated fashion, and then open the IDML.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Text variables for Other File Formats?
                    Zoffix222 Level 1

Awesome. This method is more complex than the Data Merge (for this specific case), but can be used for already-made catalogues!

• 7. Re: Text variables for Other File Formats?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Conditional text would work quite well with Data Merge. Add all the different prices usingData merge, then you can use Find/Change to assign Conditions based on the currency symbols.

• 8. Re: Text variables for Other File Formats?
                        Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

not so sure about using datamerge as a solution for this scenario. for VDP where hundreds or thousands of records only have a few items changing on a page/pages... sure.

must admit i had "text variables" confused with "conditional text" in my original reply to the OP. in any event, there is no off-the-shelf way to take an XML or txt file and import them as conditional text entries. John's suggestion will work but (correct me if i'm wrong) requires either scripting or taking the IDML into something like OxygenXML and deciphering the code, so again wouldn't be "off the shelf" and something that would be easily picked up by everyday users of InDesign.

but the OP has FIVE records with HUNDREDS of items changing in pages. the excel file would look like this:

Book
                        price 1price 2price 3price 4price 5price 6price 7price 8price 9price 10price 11price 12price 13price 14price 15price 16price 17price 18price 19

and so on...

and the data merge panel would look like this:

Book

price1

price2

price3

price4

price5

price6...

(hundreds of records)

...price599

price600

never tried doing a data merge with 5 records but 600 items, but the OP will be scrolling all over the place in the data merge panel to place the next price field.

do the databases at the moment contain everything which would populate a catalogue item (e.g. pictureURL, name, description, SKU, price) or do the databases ONLY contain prices with the catalogue items already in indesign as template? if the latter is the case, carry on with the Data Merge solution, otherwise if the answer is the former, i'd stick to my guns and use an XML based solution.