3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 2:29 PM by peter minneapolis

Vertical rule in a table?

bobtem Level 1

I'm creating a two column table and I want a vertical rule to divide the two columns, but I want the rule to also break between each row and not be solid from top to bottom. I can do this by adding a horizontal white rule between each row, but then that interferes with artwork in the background.

Is there a way to control the height of a vertical rule in each row? Please advise.

• 1. Re: Vertical rule in a table?
          peter minneapolis Level 4

bobtem wrote:

I'm creating a two column table and I want a vertical rule to divide the two columns, but I want the rule to also break between each row and not be solid from top to bottom. I can do this by adding a horizontal white rule between each row, but then that interferes with artwork in the background.

Is there a way to control the height of a vertical rule in each row? Please advise.

Have you tried a vertical bar character in a narrow column between the two columns? You can adjust the top and bottom cell insets to control the gap between rows. You can adjust the bar character's vertical and horizontal size with the scale options of advanced character formats in the character style definition, and/or with adjusting the character's stroke in the stroke panel.

An alternative is to right-align a vertical bar character at the end of the left-side column cells, or left-align the character at the beginning of the right-side column cells.

You can adjust space around the character with the inset property in the cell text options.

You can also experiment with narrow filled cells and cell strokes - horizontal strokes with paper color, one horizontal stroke with paper color, and the other using a standard solid or striped stroke, or create a custom striped stroke.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 2. Re: Vertical rule in a table?
            bobtem Level 1

My work around was to create an empty row between each content row which gave the intended "spacing" effect.

• 3. Re: Vertical rule in a table?
              peter minneapolis Level 4

bobtem wrote:

My work around was to create an empty row between each content row which gave the intended "spacing" effect.

I read too fast and took the white rule's problem to be an empty row's problem. Yes, you have the simple solution. Meanwhile, like Edison, we now have a bunch of ways to make other kinds of light bulbs.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices