5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 1:02 PM by Eugene Tyson

Finding out if a file is linked to indesign

fontstar

Hello all;

I'm looking around for a app/script/plugin which will enable me to   see on a psd file whether it's used in a indesign file as a link or not.

I have found a program called "Geidiron Flow", but seems to be too complicated for my needs.

BTW, I'm a mac user.

Would appreciate any answer.

Thanks a million.

• 1. Finding out if a file is linked to indesign
          Mr. Met Level 3

I could be wrong but I don't think you can place an InDesign file into a PS file.

• 2. Re: Finding out if a file is linked to indesign
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Photoshop has no concept of linked graphics—from InDesign or from any other application.

Once you bring something into Photoshop, it either becomes pixels or smart objects or a vector path. There is no link to the original.

• 3. Re: Finding out if a file is linked to indesign
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Fontstar, I wonder if Mr. Met and Steve interpretted your question correctly. You said:

I'm looking around for a app/script/plugin which will enable me to see on a psd file whether it's used in a indesign file as a link or not.

I thought this meant you want to know if your PSD file is used by any InDesign file on your system.

That is very different from using your InDesign file inside your PSD file, which is what I think they answered.

There is no good way to tell. In order to determine this, one would have to open every single INDD file on your system and check to see if it referenced your PSD file. And what would happen if you created an INDD file that referenced a PSD file, then emailed it a friend, and then deleted it?

This problem becomes much worse in a network environment.

One could imagine some customizations to address this. For instance, a plugin or script that saved the list of all linked files into a central database, every time you closed an InDesign file. Then you could just consult that central index. It would still have problems with networks, though.

But it's tantamout to your keeping a legal pad on your desk and writing down all the referenced PSD filenames.

Producing a script to do the above is probably not hard. Though making it bulletproof might be.

Can you tell us more about what you want to do? Many people package their INDD files routinely to avoid having to keep track of links.

Others make sure all linked resources are in the same folder as the INDD file.

• 4. Re: Finding out if a file is linked to indesign
                fontstar Level 1

Yes John, you understood right my question, sorry if my question was not enough clear.

Again: i have tons of files which i wanna delete, psd's as well as jpgs etc.

But i wanna see if they have been used in some indesign file, so deleting a file will not cause any problems in the ID files.

• 5. Re: Finding out if a file is linked to indesign
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Gridiron will do what you want it to do.

I don't know of any other tool