4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 2:56 PM by the_wine_snob

Should I bail on PRE 9? ETC

irislake

Hats off to all of your help but my tolerance level for all these technical problems importing files has reached a threshold where I am ready to send the program back to Adobe. I know you are all probably Adobe fans, but I can't believe that all these problems are normal. Was PRE 8 as buggy? Would I be better off with a MAC?

I have Win 7 64 Ultimate SP 1

HP Pavilion d7 notebook

Processor: Intel (R) core (TM) i7CPU
      Q720@   1.6 GHz  1.60 GHz

Installe Memory RAM 6.00GB

64 bit os

Firewire port 4 pin with driver changed to legacy version

Graphicx NVIDIA Ge Force GT230M

Gaming Graphics 3835MB Total avail graphics memory (PS I don't game)

Primary HDD is 319 GB Free of 450 Tot

# core processors 4

Display adaptor drivere version 8.17.12.6099

Monitor Res 1600x900

DirectX version  DirectX10

HDD drive is WDC WD 5000 BEKT 60KA9T0

Computer also has IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers with Intel (R) PCHM SATA AHCI Controller 6 port

finally able to import from old Sony DV camcorder after many problems (at least the last I checked) but now can't import from Sony HDR-HC1 per another thread about generic failure error. Could previously import at least via HDVSplit but now can't with that either.

I am still trying to find out the HDD speed but can't seem to find anything in the properties files. See HDD type above.

I have Bitlocker encryption installed per company policy.

Norton Internet settings show all the following as ON: antivirus, anti spyware, advanced protection, smart firewall m intrustion protection and email scanning. I believe the first three are live because I can see history minute by minute of detections found. If I turn thes off after I close all internet connections am I at risk? Do I  need to turn these off? None of these have been changed since I began using this product.

I know these are a lot of questions but the bottom line is I'm just asking for an honest opinion about PRE 9.

• 1. Re: Should I bail on PRE 9? ETC
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sorry for your problems, Iris. For what it's worth, most people would agree that version 8 was particularly clunky version. However, Adobe fixed most of the biggest problems with its patch.

I don't know if I'd label myself an Adobe fan. I judge anyone's products one at a time. And, though I have some issues with the direction Adobe has taken Premiere Elements, I keep coming back to it. It's the best program of its kind, for my purposes. And I've rarely had buggy behavior with any version. But, as you know, I also keep my computers clean and defragmented, with a regular weekly regimen that I've posted in the FAQs as well as included in the appendix of my books.

As whether or not you should move to a Mac --- I've been transitioning over to it. Premiere Elements on an iMac runs very well! You'll pay nearly twice as much for the same hardware on a Mac -- but you'll also get that wonderfully elegant operating system and stable performance. So, if it's in your budget, it's worth checking out.

Although I'm also running it on a Windows 7 machine and it runs very well on it too. Though I do not have any Norton software on any of my machines. And I always recommend people get rid of it.

But that's just my personal opinion and experience. Remember, the world of computers is very relative. There is no one single BEST piece of hardware or software. It's about what works best for YOU.

• 2. Re: Should I bail on PRE 9? ETC
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Exactly what is being encrypted?

Good luck, and sorry for your dissatisfaction.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Should I bail on PRE 9? ETC
              irislake Level 1

as i understand it, the hard drive. Basically, I need an encryption key on a flash drive inserted into a usb port in order to start my computer.

-

Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Exactly what is being encrypted?

Good luck, and sorry for your dissatisfaction.

Hunt

>

• 4. Re: Should I bail on PRE 9? ETC
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Is this the same HDD that has the PrE program on it?

Do you know if this encryption is active, or perhaps OFF, once you insert the dongle, or PW?

I am just wondering how transparent that encryption might, or might not be. Maybe nothing to it, but working from an encrypted HDD is not the norm. However, I can see the need. My wife's smartphone, her computer and her iPad all have security measures in place, however she is not working with any programs, like PrE. I just do not know that software, or what impact it might have.

Good luck, and if you bought PrE within 30-days, Adobe will allow you to return it for a full refund.

Hunt