5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 2:52 PM by the_wine_snob

Color

thomasjv

Hello Anyone,

I'm trying to make a video in Premiere Elements 9 and as a start a want a few sentences written on after the other. That's no problem, only it's on a black standard background, and I'd like to make this background for example yellow. Is this possible? I can't find a way to do this...

Thanks a lot, Thomas

• 1. Re: Color
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thomas,

Actually, what you see as a "black background," is actually a Transparent Background. To prove that, just place one of the Titles over Video, and you will see right through what looks black.

Now, we will use that to our advantage. Go to the New Icon in the Project Panel, and choose Color Matte. You will then place that on Video Track 1, with those Titles on Video Track 2. Set the color of the Color Matte to whatever you wish.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Color
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the New Icon, and the Timeline with a Color Matte and a Title:

Color_Matte_Title.png

This is from PrE 4.0, but should be very, very similar in later versions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Color
              the_wine_snob Level 9

One other thing. If you wish to use black text to go over the Color Matte, you will find that easier to do, if you create the Color Matte first, place it on the Timeline, and move the CTI (Current Time Indicator) over it, when you create your Title.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Color
                thomasjv Level 1

Thanks a very very lot Mr. Hunt!! It works great, I don't think I would find that after hours of searching... Thanks a lot!

• 5. Re: Color
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That "black background" has thrown many. It looks opaque, though when one begins working on a Title, over Video, it becomes obvious, that it is really Transparent. Only the Text, or Shapes are actually opaque, though they can be given some degree of Transparency, with the Fixed Effect>Opacity.

While we are on the subject of Titles, if one only wants that color to be over part of the background video, then in Titler, one would just add a Shape, and put the Text over that, or perhaps have the Shape on one Title, with any Text on a separate Title above that one.

Steve Grisetti, our MOD, and famous author, has gone into a lot of great and useful detail on Titles, in several of his books. Lot's of great material thre, and also some tricks, that would otherwise take years to discover.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt