3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2011 6:13 AM by Martin S...

placed mp3 stops playing on page turn in exported pdf

Martin S...

Hi, I placed a sound file in an indesign file, left the 'media' setting 'stop on page turn' unchecked, and still, the file stops when i turn the page in the pdf. I have one button controling the play (mouse release action) and stop (mouseover action) of the file.

• 1. Re: placed mp3 stops playing on page turn in exported pdf
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try using the floating window option. My memory is that that works. Too tired to try it tonight.

• 2. Re: placed mp3 stops playing on page turn in exported pdf
            Martin S... Level 1

Hi Steve, there's a pdf-export option in the media tool to float a window for movies, but not for sound. I may be back where I started, having to convert all my audio files to movies files in order to get them to do what I want in the pdf.

• 3. Re: placed mp3 stops playing on page turn in exported pdf
              Martin S... Level 1

hi steve, you're right; from what i've found, the only way that an embedded audio or movie file will keep playing is if you float a controller. The problem there however is that you have to use the controller; that can be dealt with in pdf, but not from indesign, and if one has a lot of media files in their interactive pdf, that's a lot of work after export. from within indesign, that controller can be made fairly small, and it ends up sitting in the top right corner of adobe reader once a media file is clicked; and it only goes away if you close it; and if you open other media files, the contollers start piling up.

what i ended up figuring out as an alternative was that if you export to swf instead of pdf, for some reason the mp3 (i only tried mp3 in swf) keeps playing on page turn (with no controller); and the nice thing about swf is that you can get 'curl' page transitions, and since it opens as an html it's ready to go online.

the document has buttons that upon being clicked, play the file (with nothing popping up); and the mouseover stops the file; and click again plays it.

one thing that would be nice is if one audio file could be placed that buttons on other pages could access cue points within; unfortunately; buttons can only access audio files that have been placed on the page. so instead of having 1 file, accessed at different navigation points, you have 50 files cut from the 1, each with their own button.