14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 11:01 AM by gkaiseril

javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)

valz617

HIi Everyone,

I have a scripting problem.  I used javascript to do some division and subtraction, but it only works some of the time in the second half of my form.  What I mean is, if I'm using a nice even number like 100-the calculations are correct, but if I use 415.75, it calculates, but not correctly.  (I actually also have that problem with some multiplying also???)  It's very weird.  And it only seems to be this particular form.

I can e-mail the form if that will help.  I'd appreciated any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Valerie

• 1. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Can you post the code you've used for these calculations?

Also, did you make sure that the field calculation order is correct?

• 2. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)
            valz617 Level 1

Sure.  The form looks like this: (Field Names are in quotes.)

1. Total Amount of Third Party Recovery      "total third"

2. Accrued Compensation Lien                   "accrued"   (I clicked in calculations and just clicked "value is the sum of the following: and then clicked the field

a. "indemnity benefits"                                             names of a and b.)

b. "expenses of medical"

3. Expenses of Recovery                             "recovery expenses"

4. Balance of Recovery                              "balance"  (Its supposed to be #1minus #2)  I used this script:

this.getField("balance").value = thisgetField("totalthird").value - this.getField("accrued").value;

HiddenLockedField "percent" (The content is set to 100.)

5. Lien Expenses Reimbursement Rate          "5"   (#2 divided by #1 * 100)   I used this script:

event.value = ""

var accrued = getField("accrued").value;

var totalthird = getField("totalthird").value;

var percent = getField("percent").value;

if(totalthird!null && total third!=0)

{event.value = accrued / totalthird * percent;}

6. Expenses Attributable to Lien                    "attribute"    (Supposed to be #3 times #5.)  I went to calculations, anc clicked on, "value is the product

of the following" and checked "recovery expenses" and "5".

7. Net Lien                                                   "netlien"   (Supposed to be #2-#6) I used this script:

this.getField("netlien").value = this.getField("accrued").value - this.getField("attribute").value;

8. Reimbursement Rate of Future Lia.             "rate" (Supposed to be #3 divided by #1 * 100.) I used this script:

event.value = "";

var recoveryexpenses = getField("recoveryexpenses").value;

var totalthird = getField("totalthird").value;

var percent = getField("percent").value;

if (totalthird!=null && totalthird!=0)   

{event.value = (recoveryexpenses / totalthird) * perent;}           

• 3. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)

In #5 there's an error in the code, in this expression:

totalthird!null

It should be:

totalthird != null

Are there any error messages in the JS console?

• 4. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)
                valz617 Level 1

I know that the field order is right.  The users are able to tab from 1 to 2

and just follow the nuber order, but I'm not sure about calculation order. How do you find/check that?

Also, here are the numbers that I used, and adobe gave me.  (This is an incorrect one.)

1. 100,000

2.  a.11,989.73

b. 39,905.06                    2. 51,894.79

3. 41,229.45

4. 48,105.21

5. 51.89

6. 21,393.96

7. 30,500.83

8. 41.23

• 5. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)

The tab order is not the same as the calculation order.

To check that go to Forms Edit mode and then go to Forms - Edit Fields - Set

Fields Calculation Order...

• 6. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)
                    valz617 Level 1

I hit control J and the javascript console appears, but no errors are shown.

• 7. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)
                      MediaSLML

Im not sure what version of Acrobat your using but in 9 Pro

Goto 1. Forms

2. Edit fields

3. Set Field Calculation Order

I think that will be the source of your problem, I had a similar problem too.

(Gah, try67 you beat me to it while i was searching for the button!)

• 8. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)

Check the field calculation order. I have a feeling it's that.

• 9. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)
                          valz617 Level 1

Thanks, I never knew there was something called a calculation order.  I'm running a bunch of numbers through it now-just to make sure.

• 10. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)
                            gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You should also be aware that the values used in calculations are the result of the calculation and not the rounded display value. This difference between the rounded displayed value and the unrounded calculation value can result in some significant differences if there are values from a division and then a multiplication. You may want to add some rounding of the intermediate results for your calculations.

• 11. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)
                              valz617 Level 1

I think you were right.  I've tested a bunch of numbers now -and it wll works out.  (I've put the form in the regular users folder, so I'll get more feedback today or tomorrow.)  But I can't thank you enough.

• 12. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)
                                valz617 Level 1

How do you do that? I've set the calculations to two decimal places, but that's about it.

• 13. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)
                                  valz617 Level 1

Sorry, meant to post this up here. Thanks.  I think you were right.  I've tested it a bunch.  I put it in the regular user folder-so I'll get more feedback today or tomorrow, but hopefully this fixed it.  I can't thank you enough.  (Some of my coworkers were getting a little snippy about it.)

• 14. Re: javascript only works for "easy" numbers (and multiplying error)
                                    gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can use the 'util.printf()' method or write your own rounding routine using JavaScirpt's "Math.round()" method.

You posted the numbers you got from your script, but what were the values you were expecting or the values that were wrong?