2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 11:47 AM by jegscatalog

InDesign 5.5 Sluggish Redraw

jegscatalog

We just started using ID 5.5 and the copy-paste function, redraw, moving items, etc. have all been very sluggish compared to ID4. In 4 I used to have the PreFlight on, Typical Display Performance on, Live Screen Drawing set at Immediate and my Display Performances set to Raster-Proxy, Vector-Proxy & Transparency-Medium.

I'm running 10.6.8 on a 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Intel with 6GB 667 MHz. I am running two 30" displays.

In 4 I could copy paste, moving items on a page, switch pages and it would keep up with me. I had enough horsepower before with 4 so I don't think that's the issue. I want to keep all of my Display setting the same as before and should be able to with 5.5. What am I missing, if anything. Would Lion help this?

As a side note, and I'm not sure this is related to the sluggish redraw, but LOTS of times when I grab an item to move it and let go of the mouse (items) and it looks like its going to release/drop it, it jumps one way or another. It acts as if I did not let go of the mouse. Very frustrating. So far these items listed above have actually made my upgrade a step backward in my workflow. It takes longer to work now.

• 1. Re: InDesign 5.5 Sluggish Redraw
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Live Screen Redraw was not introduced until CS5, so you had no setting for it in CS4. What you are describing is faily7 typical for older hardware with Live Screen Redraw set to immediate. Change it to Dealyed and it will have the same behavior you are used to from CS4 -- Click and hold before dragging to get a live draw on object move.

• 2. Re: InDesign 5.5 Sluggish Redraw
            jegscatalog Level 1

Peter, that seemed to be the trick. I was unaware of the hardware making the difference. This will greatly improve my productivity at least back to what it was with ID4 if not more. I look forward to using Live Screen Redraw on newer hardware in the next few months! Many Thanks!!