5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 1:44 PM by Colin Brougham

Mass apply transition to group of clips with gaps?

Navarro Parker Level 3

I want to apply the same transition to a bunch of clips in my timeline. However, they are *not* butted up against any other clips. They are video overlays on video track 2. I want to apply Cross Dissolve to both the head and tail of each clip.

Apply Default Transition does nothing.

I could probably copy and paste opacity keyframes, but each clip is a different length. Appling Cross Dissolve seems much faster (but not if I have to drag the effect to the head and tail of hundreds of clips).

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Mass apply transition to group of clips with gaps?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You could combine the Next/Previous Edit commands with either the Apply Video Transition shortcut or with a paste command if you had copied the transition you want.

OR... much easier if all you want is a bunch of consistent fade ins/fade outs...

On a single clip, keyframe opacity to create a fade in from the in point of the clip at the duration you like, e.g. 30 frames. Right click Opacity, and select Save Preset; give it a name, e.g. Fade In 30 Frames and set it to Anchor to In Point. Reset the effect and delete the keyframes, and then repeat this to create a fade out. Go to the out point of the clip, set keyframes, and once again, right-click Opacity and Save Preset; this time call it something like Fade Out 30 Frames and set it to Anchor to Out Point.

Now, you can simply select all of your clips in the sequence, and apply these presets by dragging them to the selection. Even though you created two presets, because you can only have one instance of Opacity on a clip, the keyframes from both presets will be added to that single effect. You have to do this with two presets--if you do it with one and use Scale, the keyframes will stretch out or compress to maintain a relative duration instead of an absolute duration.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mass apply transition to group of clips with gaps?
            Navarro Parker Level 3

You're kind of a genius, you know that??

• 3. Re: Mass apply transition to group of clips with gaps?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Aww, shucks.

Could I get that in writing? There are certain circumstances in my household where I'd like to show that in an effort to settle a disagreement

Glad it helped though. I think a viable feature request would be for the Apply Default Transitions to Selection command to allow single-side transitions, personally: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Mass apply transition to group of clips with gaps?
                Navarro Parker Level 3

Is there any way to get smart keyframes that will anchor themselves to the out-point? If I do your preset method, and then adjust the clip's timing, the keyframes don't move with the edit.

• 5. Re: Mass apply transition to group of clips with gaps?
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

No, no "smart keyframes." But... guess what? Another solution for you... not as elegant as smart keyframes, but will probably save your bacon.

This involves creating another preset. Select a clip, open up the ECP, swivel open Opacity, and disable the stopwatch. That's it; just save a preset with that Opacity effect. I call it the Opacity Keyframe Killer.

What you'd do apply the Opacity Keyframe Killer, followed by your Fade In and Fade Out presets. It's the best you can do with the tools at hand. Smart keyframes though... yeah, make that request