7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2011 10:46 AM by alvinetfilms

After Effects Media Core Crash!!

alvinetfilms

Hi,

I saw online that a few people had my problem but mine was a bit different and nothing people suggested would help me.

I've been using after effects cs4 for over a year and recently i took my laptop on holiday with me, when I opened the laptop on holiday it went black after the 'acer loading screen' it did this for about 10 or 15 minutes before turning on, then the wifi wouldnt work. I reinstalled windows but it didnt do anything to my files, but it fixed the wifi problem.

then when i got home, i found that trying to turn on after effects led to the text 'media core initializing'. it hangs on this for ages, i had it on for well over an hour, and no matter what it doesnt load up, it ccrashes and turns off everytime. I decided that by downloading after effects cs5 it might fix the problem, and so I did.. since I was planning on buying it for ages anyway. I loaded everything up and it did exactly the same thing. Is there any one who can give me a clear answer?

• 1. Re: After Effects Media Core Crash!!
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This sounds like a problem with your computer that is not specific to After Effects. I doubt that there is much that we can do to help you here. If you like, you can contact Adobe Technical Support and see if they can help you:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

• 2. Re: After Effects Media Core Crash!!
            alvinetfilms Level 1

I understand what you mean but the problem with my computer seems to have completely recovered apart from the after effects problem..

• 3. Re: After Effects Media Core Crash!!
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As I said, you should contact Adobe Technical Support.

• 4. Re: After Effects Media Core Crash!!
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I understand what you mean but the problem with my computer seems to have completely recovered apart from the after effects problem..

Well, but are you sure of it? Reinstalling the operating system pretty much busts up all file and folder permissions, because it causes the cryptographic keys to be re-calculated. I would expect some trouble here, in particular when MediaCore and the media cache are involved. Either the cache is inaccessible because it still carries your old user permissions and that old user no longer exists (in strict geeky Windows terms, doesn't matetr if you chose the same user name) or conversely, MediaCore itself cannot be launched because it cannot access the files for the Dynamic Link Manager and Process Coordination Server nor possibly load them due to insufficient user privileges. You really need to verify that. Here's some blurb I wrote up to get people started. Otehr than that of course the files in the media cache could be damaged, making things go *poof*. in that case simply delete them and they will be rebuilt the next tiem a project is opened...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: After Effects Media Core Crash!!
                  alvinetfilms Level 1

Ok, I kind of understand, not exactly the best with computer terms, What exactly do I have to delete, the media cache? where can I find that?

EDIT:

Ok I deleted the files from the media cache, it didnt help. Would it work if I unistalled after effects and reinstalled it??

• 6. Re: After Effects Media Core Crash!!
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Probably not... As Holmes would say: "Something is afoot, Watson!" in addition to the media cache consider deleting your prefs and possibly also workspaces. Then again do check the permissions of your user home directory, your temp folder and the application folder. Reinstalling doesn't fix that, either - same file = same security token which Windows simply leaves in place. Also update your graphics card, audio drivers and what have you. Many MediaCore crashes relate to defunct graphics drivers because hardware acceleration for decodin gand display in teh viewers fails....

Mylenium

• 7. Re: After Effects Media Core Crash!!
                      alvinetfilms Level 1

Um, ok, well before your answer, I tried unistalling anyway. then reinstalling and it failed, so you were correct.

But I dont understand exactly how to do what you're recommended, could you please try and explain it in a 'for dummies' way?