6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 4:53 PM by drmz2004

Resolutions for Graphics DV Widescreen Project

drmz2004

Working on a 16x9 DV Widescreen project and trying to import 720x480 graphics for menu backgrounds and they aren't coming in fullscreen. I've tried rezizing them bigger with still no luck.

Suggestions??

• 1. Re: Resolutions for Graphics DV Widescreen Project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on whether you have an NTSC or PAL Project, the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) will be 1.212, or 1.422. Both, as you can see, are wider, than tall. You Images most probably have square pixels, or a PAR = 1.0. That is why those Images do not fill the full width.

There are a couple of ways to handle that. First, one could take the Image into Photoshop, and alter the PAR (from CS newer), BUT one should look closely at the image, as with non-square pixels, the Image will be "stretched" a bit. One additional problem with this method is that computers also have square pixels, so the display will not reveal how that PAR change will really look, and it's not until one tests on a TV, that issues can become apparent - so long as that TV is using non-square pixels.

Next, one could Scale the Image, and then let the Project's Frame Size effectively crop off a bit of the top, or bottom, or a touch of both.

If one were building the Menu in PS, or PSE, they could just place the Image into the Menu, and hit Ctrl+T (Free Transform - think that PSE has that, with the same keystroke), and Scale the Image, as is needed. That is how I handle adding stills to my menus.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Resolutions for Graphics DV Widescreen Project
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also make sure Scale to Frame Size is unchecked under Edit/Preferences before you bring the photos into your project. (You can also manually remove this preference by right-clicking on each photo on your timeline and unchecking it there.)

If you do that and bring in photos that are 855 pixels wide, they should fit perfectly. (Although, since the frame is 16:9 and most photos are 4:3, you may lose some of the tops and bottoms of each photo if you fill the screen with them, of course.)

• 3. Re: Resolutions for Graphics DV Widescreen Project
              drmz2004 Level 1

ok... why does this not work?

My PSE project is DV Widescreen with a resolution of 720x480.

In Photoshop I create a blank image with a resolution of 720x480. I create a graphic that fits fullscreen in that image and save. I import it into the PSE DVD menu portion of the program as a background image for the scenes menu and it does not fit. Black bars on right and left??

PSE lets me scale down the image but not up once in the menu editing section.

I don't really want to scale, or change pixel size, or what have you unless absolutely necessary. I want to create my graphic in Photoshop fullscreen and import into Premiere and have it display fullscreen so that I can align and design elements easily without all this re-scaling nonsense.

• 4. Re: Resolutions for Graphics DV Widescreen Project
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Simply put, it's because video uses non-square pixels and photos use square pixels (Unless you are intentionally using non-square pixels in Photoshop Elements -- which you don't really need to).

A 640x480 pixel photo fits perfectly in a 720x480 standard DV video frame.

A 855x480 pixel photo fits perfectly in a 720x480 widescreen DV video frame.

Trust me on this. Or better yet, try it yourself. If you need an explanation why, I go into it in a bit more depth in my Photo Elements/Premiere Elements book.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

• 5. Re: Resolutions for Graphics DV Widescreen Project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For much more info on PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio), see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Resolutions for Graphics DV Widescreen Project
                    drmz2004 Level 1

thanks for the resolution guides Bill...