3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 10:04 AM by John Osmond

Can a cross dissolve be applied between nested clips?

Navarro Parker Level 3

I have two nested sequences placed end-to-end in one video track. But when I drag the Cross Dissolve effect onto the edit point, it only lets me apply it to the head of the second nest.

EDIT: I think I see why. There's no more footage for the cross dissolve to work with. So how do I do that?  Drag the second nest further back onto the end of the first nest? Then use the Ripple Edit tool? (Or Rolling Edit?)

Side note: I like how Audition shows overlapping clips and fades in the same track. It's not always evident how much head or tail I have to work with in Premiere.

• 1. Re: Can a cross dissolve be applied between nested clips?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You can climb into the nests and add frames to the head of the first clip and the end of the last clip; this effectively lengthens the nested sequence in the nesting sequence, giving you handles. You'll need to account for the timing difference, however; in the nesting sequence, you'd have to slip the nested sequence back by the same number of frames that you added in order to maintain your timing. So, if you add 30 frames inside the nest, you'd have to slip backward 30 frames in the nesting sequence.

Try it; you'll see what I mean.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can a cross dissolve be applied between nested clips?
            SFL46 Level 3

"Side note: I like how Audition shows overlapping clips and fades in the same track. It's not always evident how much head or tail I have to work with in Premiere. "

If you click on the transition and then open the Effects Control panel, you will be presented with a graphic that shows the transition and the incoming and outgoing clip which readily displays the head and tail.  Plus, you can use the various trim tools on that graphic to drag the transition back or forth until you get the needed head or tail. 

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can a cross dissolve be applied between nested clips?
              John Osmond

Yes. In the master sequence put sub-sequences on different tracks. Put a cross-dissolve on the end of one and the beginning of the next. Then overlap the tracks so the cross-dissolves are on top of one another.