5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2011 9:53 PM by Dov Isaacs

Issues with InDesign 5.5 and Windows 7?

SwinertonMarketing

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on a few issues that my entire Marketing group at my company has been having with InDesign.

1. Is anyone else experiencing compatibility issues between Windows 7 (64 bit) and InDesign 5.5? We have had issues such as: not being able to export to PDF, files being spontaneously corrupted, not being able to package files correctly (error message is "cannot copy necessary linked files"), and a whole bunch of other stuff.

2. Getting not enough Server storage errors. There is ample amount of space left on our server but we're unable to save or copy things there.

3. Cannot copy text from InDesign into a word document (copy and paste just isnt' working)

4. Unable to save files or open new documents (whether to desktop, my documents folder, or server folders).

The list goes on and on really. All our marketers upgraded from 3 to 5.5 within the past month or so. Some of us are on Windows 7 (approx. 10) and the rest are still on Widows XP. Everyone is having similar issues and our IT department doesn't have enough knowledge of the program to offer us the support we need. I've been an InDesign user for about 8 years now so I'm definitely familiar with it.

If anyone could offer any sort of explaination or help for errors i've listed above I would greatly appreciate it. Please let me know if you need more information.

• 1. Re: Issues with InDesign 5.5 and Windows 7?
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Many of us at Adobe as well as many forum members run InDesign 7.5 (CS5.5) under Windows 7 64-bit without any problems whatsoever.

The fact that your entire group is having these problems and that you have an IT department would lead me to believe that perhaps your IT department's configuration of your Windows systems is the culprit. Perhaps your Windows userids are too restricted (see whether changing your id to be in the Administrator's group and not otherwise restricted resolves the problems). Overly aggresive virus checkers and firewalls could also contribute to these problems.

You also mention server issues. Check whether your userid has full access to the server paths you are using, not simply read-write.

- Dov

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Issues with InDesign 5.5 and Windows 7?
            SwinertonMarketing Level 1

Dov,

Thank you for your timely response. None of us have admin rights to our computers and I had wondered if maybe this was an issue. Since we dont have these rights we are also unable to install upgrades to Creative Suite that Adobe sends out. Could this also be an issue?

Is CS 5.5 only compatible with 64-bit? I had thought I'd read that somewhere; could this be causing the XP users issues who are presumably using 32-bit? We didnt' have near the same amount of issues while using CS 3, although I was not with the company when they originally started using that version some odd years ago.

• 3. Re: Issues with InDesign 5.5 and Windows 7?

InDesign 7.5 (CS5.5) is still a 32-bit program and runs in 32-bit mode under Windows 7 64-bit. The advantage of running it in 64-bit Windows is that you can large amounts of real memory (typically a minimum of 4 gigabyes with 8 gigabytes and up recommended) and that InDesign isn't competing with other applications for memory pages as it does under 32-bit Windows which is limited to 3+ gigabytes.

And yes, not having Administrator rights could easily prevent you from installing either updates or any software in general.

The permissions issue is not restricted to 64-bit Windows or WIndows 7. Your 32-bit Windows users could easily run into the same issues.

- Dov

PS:     Good luck dealing with your IT department. Hopefully they help you by adjusting your local accounts to what you need.

• 4. Re: Issues with InDesign 5.5 and Windows 7?
                Ovis2000

omg

We bought ID55 and you say that does not work, 64-bit

• 5. Re: Issues with InDesign 5.5 and Windows 7?

Read the full thread. InDesign 7.5 (CS5.5) certainly works exceptionally well with 64-bit versions of Windows 7 (and Windows Vista). It is not a 64-bit program, but neither are the vast majority of application programs currently being run under 64-bit versions of Windows.

- Dov