12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2012 7:29 AM by GameDesignProfessor

Failed to Install in iOS

ScottFriebel

I'm trying to run and/or debug the app I'm working on on my iPhone. I've gone through the process of getting the certificate and provisioning file and all appears to be well with both files. After setting up the run configuration Flex built the app and created the .ipa file in the bin-debug folder. I added the provisioning file and the app to iTunes and synced with my phone. In iTunes, the sync appears to work flawlessly but when watching the phone, the app almost completes installation then disappears and the error "app-name Failed To Install" pops up.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Scott

• 1. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
          drkstr_1 Level 4

I had the same exact issue once. It got to the end and then said failed to install. It turned out that I had incorrectly installed the provisioning profile.

Maybe try again and hope for the best?

• 2. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
            crusadercheetu Level 1

I am facing the same issue now. But I know I have dragged and dropped the correct mobile provision file and the .ipa file into the itunes window. Is there anything else that I could have got wrong?

When you say " It turned out that I had incorrectly installed the provisioning profile.", I am not sure whether I understand. I dont think there is any installation of provisioning profile file. All you need to do is drag and drop the mobile provision file and .ipa file into the itunes window.

NOTE: I have done iPhone applications using Xcode and have also launched lot fo apps in app store. This is the first time I am trying it via Flash builder. I am just trying only an hellowworld application now. I am using iPhone4 with iOS5.

• 3. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
              drkstr_1 Level 4

The provisioning profile needs to be copied to the device (installed), before you can install the app. The app must also be built against that same provisioning profile.

• 4. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
                crusadercheetu Level 1

Hi, the app is built against this mobile provision file and I have gone and checked the settings in the iPhone now. I see that this mobile provision file is also installed. My error message still persists.

iTunes sync - Helloworld failed to install

Any other thoughts?

• 5. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
                  crusadercheetu Level 1

Hi, I have got this issue sorted out now.

In the link "http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/packaging-air-apps-ios.html", under "Create a P12 file on Mac OS", it says  "Right-click on the private key and select Export.". This is what we did and generated a .p12 file and it didnt work till now. We kept receiving "iTunes sync - Hellowworld failed to install". So this time, I went ahead and right clicked on the certificate name (carrying the pvt key) and exported it. This worked and we were able to install the app to the device.

• 6. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
                    Piyush kathayat Level 1

Hi to all,

I am having the same kind of issue while developing IPHONE app. Trying to create a very simple app just to test Iphpne app. (Having Sprite on stage only)  after creating build normally I am usinghttp://www.diawi.com/index.php for IOS. This build is working with IPAD without having any issue. But if I am trying to install that App in to IPOD or IPhone getting error message while installing and not able toinstall.

Working perfectly with Ipod.

Tried with new Provisioning file but no luck.

Using air3 and flex builder.

Please suggest solution for this issue.

• 7. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
                      drkstr_1 Level 4

Did you add all of the other devices to your provisioning profile using the Apple dev control panel thingy, then rebuild the app against the new one?

Also, I sometimes need to copy the provisioning profile to the device first, then restart iTunes, then install the app. Maybe there is a more direct way to do it, but that has always solved the problem for me in the past.

• 8. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
                        Piyush kathayat Level 1

yes my both devides are already added in to provision file. Already create a new provision file and installed in devise. but no luck. It seems issue related to provision file but I am using new provision file. Not able to understand this issue.. :-(

• 9. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
                          crusadercheetu Level 1

Hi Piyush

I am not sure whether I understand the issue you are facing. But just incase you didnt receive any error and the app didnt install inspite of you dragging and dropping the app into the iPhone / iPod, I think its an issue related to the device. I dragged and dropped an app into the device. For the first time, it said installing; I also saw the progress bar in the itunes and also the device. But the device never showed the app icon. So I dragged and drpped the app icon again into the device but nothing happened. Then I clicked on my device in iTunes and clicked on "Apps" to check the installed apps in the device. I saw the app icon I was trying to drag and drop. This app icon was not visible in the device though. So i clicked on the "X" to delete the app. Then I again dragged and dropped the app from my library to the device. This time I was able to see the app icon on my device as well. Let me know if this works fine for you or not.

• 10. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
                            ChopperDavo

Looking at this thread today because just had a similar issue.

We have an iPad eBook, and we thought we'd whack it onto an iPhone to see what it looks like on that.  We'd like to release onto iPhone, but will need to make some changes.  Would be nice to see what it looks like on the phone as-is so that we know how much we're going to have to change.

So the steps I took were:

1) Set device type to iPhone under publish settings.

2) Rebuilt app.

3) Plugged iPhone into my PC.

4) Tried to put app onto iPhone but no luck because it's a different iTunes account (it's my friend's phone) and syncing would remove all his apps and put on all my apps. Thinking about it now, perhaps we could have logged in with his account?

5) So we plugged the iPhone into his Mac laptop and copied .ipa file over to his desktop.  I dragged it into his itunes, so far so good.

6) But then we clicked it in iTunes (so it's checkbox is selected) and then did a sync.  It started to install, and then came up with a dialog box on the iPhone saying "AppName failed to install."

We tried this a few times but no luck.

Now, I'm guess that I should have built a new provisioning profile with that device listed as one of the authorised devices?

If so, every time you want to try on a new device, you have to do the whole provisioning certificate thing again and rebuild the app against the new certificate/profile?  This seems like a lot of work.

Also, some people have mentioned installing the provisioning profile on the device, how would one go about doing that?

• 11. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
                              drkstr_1 Level 4

Now, I'm guess that I should have built a new provisioning profile with that device listed as one of the authorised devices?

Correct. And don't forget to rebuild your entire app against the new profile!

If so, every time you want to try on a new device, you have to do the whole provisioning certificate thing again and rebuild the app against the new certificate/profile?  This seems like a lot of work.

Again, correct. And yes, it is quite a pain in the ***. I would be surprised there hasn't been a developer revolt against Apple already, but I hear they have some pretty good koolaid...

Also, some people have mentioned installing the provisioning profile on the device, how would one go about doing that?

You just go to File -> Add to Library, and selection your provisioning file. Sometimes you have to restart/sync/apply/whatever for it to take effect.

• 12. Re: Failed to Install in iOS
                                GameDesignProfessor Level 1

Turns out my 2nd Gen iTouch will not run the app!

I have a 4.2.1 version

A colleague told me it was my version. I took a look at the Design tab and noticed 4g, 3GS, and iPad Nothing else so I'll assume that iTouch must be 3rd or 4th gen to run Flex mobile projects.

The recycling of itunes and 3GS phone did the trick on getting it synced.

Now can someone tell me if its possible to use shared files from an existing .as game in Flex mobile projects?

And is there a guide to syntax for iOS stuff I would like to port an existing game to iPhone and iPad.

Thanks.