23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2011 3:09 AM by Harm Millaard

Export to tape failed

Chris Nierop

I did have lots of trouble using PPRO 5.5., stuttering video, no Encore library, bad editing conditions etc. After lots of tryings which didn't work, I decided to completely reinstall everyting and change the SSD for a oldfashioned 7200 rpm disk.

It Looks that changing my SSD drive for the OS  and completely reinstall everything has solved most of my problems. I only don't know if it is the reinstalling or changing the SSD what helped me out.

I must  do some editing to look if this stay this way. Hopefully it works now.

But one problem stays, and this is a main problem for me, because I use DV tape to archive my editing results. And without this feature PPRO 5.5 is not working for me.

When I try  export to tape, the recorders start to record, but there is no video and no audio signal on the output. I did try two recorders and tried a lot of "external device" possibilities.

Capturing from tape goes well.

I did try the suggestions Harm Millard gave on one of his valuable forumsuggestions , to quit CPU accelerator and to change the IEEE driver into the "old" driver. But that didn't help much.

Anyone any suggestions to overcome this problem?

Thanks for replying

Chris Nierop

• 1. Re: Export to tape failed
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Be sure that Video Rendering and Playback is set to:

"Mercury Playback Engine Software Only"

Disable or enable GPU acceleration of effects

• 3. Re: Export to tape failed
            Chris Nierop Level 1

Yes. I have done so, but it didnot solve the problem. PPRO recognise the deck, because the deck starts to record. But at the output there is no signal, no video and no audio.so the recorded material stays blanck.

Thanks for replying

Chris

• 4. Re: Export to tape failed

Ummm... if you are getting no video and no audio output

and have deck control, you should read this:

Be sure that Video Rendering and Playback is set to:

"Mercury Playback Engine Software Only"

• 5. Re: Export to tape failed
                Chris Nierop Level 1

That I don't understand,as I said  I did already set to "software only" and I did install the specific driver for the IEEE.as decribed at the forum/.

So this wil not solve the problem.

Or do you mean someting else?

Chris

• 6. Re: Export to tape failed

If you have done the two things described above:
                  "MPE Software Only" and "Legacy IEEE1394 Driver"...
                  I think it is time to check the A/V input settings on your deck.

• 7. Re: Export to tape failed
                    Chris Nierop Level 1

That I did also, I have two decks on which I tried to record.

Both decks failed.

One of the decks stops automatically after about 5 sec of recording when no signal is there, the other deck records anyway, and after playing the result there was an white empty picture and no sound. So I think there is no output on the firewire, and has nothing to do with the decks.

In my former PPRO 2.0 there where no problems recording,

I don't know if I did the right thing to upgrade from 2.0 to 5.5.

After about two months of practically continues solving problems with 5.5 I lost my trust in Adobe's developpers knowledge to  build a more or less "plug and play" system. My system is custombuild as decribed by Adobe and in the forums, but lots of problems did arise, from which this one is one of the last to solve (if uberhaupt possible).

Thanks for replying,

Chris

• 8. Re: Export to tape failed

With your project settings like this:

MPE_Software.png

And your sequence settings like this:

PlaybackSettings.png

Are you able to see video and audio output to your deck as you
                      play your sequence in the timeline without trying to export to tape?

• 9. Re: Export to tape failed
                        Chris Nierop Level 1

Yes, on my deskcomputer and on my 3e monitor the clip to be recorderd is shown and heard during recording.

I tried every possible setting on the "external device" settings, but nothing helped.

The settings Joe described are tried, but no positive result.

I don't know why everything on the desktop lookst well, but no signal on the firewire output.

Export to tape is essential for me, is there another way to get the final editing AVI on tape?

Is there an Adobe developper who can help me out this strange problem? Is there a bug in PPRO?

Chris

• 10. Re: Export to tape failed
                          Chris Nierop Level 1

Adobe experts!

Export to tape is essential for me, is there another way to get the final editing AVI on tape?

Is there an Adobe developper who can help me out this strange problem? Is there a bug in PPRO 5.5 ? It seems to be, rergarding the in this forum given solutions (which don't work for me).

Chris

• 11. Re: Export to tape failed

You said yes to:

"Are you able to see video and audio output to your deck as you
                            play your sequence in the timeline without trying to export to tape?"

If that is in fact the case...

you can simply crash record on your deck, wait a few seconds,

then play out your timeline to tape and avoid using the "export to tape" function.

• 12. Re: Export to tape failed
                              Chris Nierop Level 1

That I tried to, but there is no output on the firewire, so the recorded tape contains a blanc picture (with some distortion signals) and no audio.

When I use "export to tape" instead, the recording starts, so the firewire sees the recorder and automatically starts recording. But also no video or audiosignal.

It looks if there is signal on the deskcomputer which you can see and hear, but this signal is not transported to the firewire output!.

I can caprure from the deck to the computer, so the way in works, the oposite way (out) not.

Chris

• 13. Re: Export to tape failed

I am out of suggestions.

Exporting to videotape

If you can't get it to work, you should contact Adobe Technical Support:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

Good luck.

• 14. Re: Export to tape failed
                                  Chris Nierop Level 1

Thanks, I did. Tomorrow I will contact an technicus who will try to solve the problem

Vingers crossed

Chris

• 15. Re: Export to tape failed
                                    Chris Nierop Level 1

After about 2 hours of telephone conversation and contact with several technicians who suggested step by step the "custom" possiblities, they tried to go into my computer and serach for software solutions.

But that failed because they don't understand the Dutch language of the windows settings and the bios system.

That is to be expected, but don't solve the problem. I've sent a email back with this problem.and wait untill they respond and maybe have another way to assistent me.

In the meantime, when anybody has some suggestions other than the MPE hardware setting and change  IEEE driver, or maybe a Dutch represenatative who knows about the detailed software please help me out solving the problem "can't export to tape" (recordings starts, no output signal on wirefire).

Chris

• 16. Re: Export to tape failed
                                      ferrari@radioitalia.it

Chris, I know this cannot be helpful but I have exactly the same problems

in the same enviroment.

I've done the same tries as you with the same results.

Including the absolute need to ptint to DV tape....

Anyway thank you all for the help.

Pino

• 17. Re: Export to tape failed
                                        Boone Loves Video Level 1

Hmm. What kind of deck(s) are you using? It could possibly be a deck setting. Or a bad firewire cable? Did you try a different cable? Also, have you tried the simple, delete preview files and reboot? Also, try to power on your deck FIRST, and then power on the computer.

I know, stupid suggestions, but they are worth a shot.

• 18. Re: Export to tape failed
                                          Chris Nierop Level 1

To answer your questions

2 decks, one is listed in the PPRO list:  JVC  BR DV 600 and an SONY DHR 1000 VC .

The JVC I already used when I edited with the PPRO 2.0, and that worked (at least in combination with the Matrox 100 card wich I used then) .

I did try different cables, I did completely new installation of windows 7, several new installations of PPRO 5.5, I did try to "power on" deck first, and then start windows, power on first after start  windows and before starting PPRO, and all the combinations you can think of.  I did try manually recording.  I tried the two recorders, both failed. I searched the forumsites, I bought a custom build system completely conform the ADOBE specs, just to avoid the problems which I am in now. I did install only the ADOBE software to look if there could be some problems with other software.

Because Adobe suggested to install the "old driver" for the IEEE and use the "softwaresetting" I think Adobe PPRO 5.5 has a bug that they tried to "solve" with some special  settings, that maybe sometimes helps, but not in my case.  The last three months I am daily busy to get the software workable.

So far, so bad and I lost my trust in the ADOBE software. It looks to me that they never got to overcome the problems which they had in the 80 of the 20e century, when the computer software of the PPRO 5 series normally was named as "Plug and Pray", but then that was not only to blame ADOBE, the windows software also had his problems working with installed software.

But today, with the superfast systems it miust be possible to develope a system which is Plug and Play, with probally some minor settingproblems to solve.

Chris

• 19. Re: Export to tape failed

Ifeelyourpain.jpg

I feel your pain.

External output, both for recording and monitoring has been
                                            compromised since the release of CS5 and the introduction of MPE.
                                            Your continued frustration seems unique since you have performed the
                                            standard disabling MPE / installing Legacy IEEE1394 driver modifications
                                            that have proven to be effective for others with similar issues.  You state
                                            that you have control of your deck(s) so your firewire connection is working,
                                            yet you still get no output signal.  Without going through the input settings of
                                            your recording device, I'm afraid there may be no more suggestions to offer.
                                            this feature request thread (while offering no direct resolution for you now),
                                            is pertinent to your problem.

While waiting for an entirely 'Adobe Native' solution the only real option
                                            for multi-format external output for both monitoring and recording is the use
                                            of third-party hardware (along with their own inherent deficiencies).

• 20. Re: Export to tape failed
                                              Chris Nierop Level 1

Hello Joe

Thanks, you are right. Adobe should fix the problem of the "recording" issue.

The 3e monitor option missed in PPRO 5.5 you cannot blame Adobe, they didnot "sell" this option. The only thing there is that you could expect from an professional editing system that is should be there. So I installed a second videocard myself  to solve this problem.

But the export to tape issue they did sell as an part of the PPRO 5.5. and so they didn't sell what they promised.

This the more when the the system is completely build on Adobe certificated hardware. This, I will say, is entirely an Adobe problem and has to be solved in a bug fix or pay back an amount of money to sell third hardware to overcome the problem..

Futher, when they want to explore the world and sell the software in different countries, they have to have an helpdesk who can help without the language differences.

The people of Adobe who tried to help not to blame, they did there very best to understand the problem and search for an solution. But when they cannot go into the system to understand the settings in f.i. windows, because the language differs, they have an selling problem. I presume it doesn't matter Adobe because of less concurrence on the marked. But that will change.

But anyway, anyone on the forum who tried to help me out, a hugh thanks and maybe the light will come on, even to Adobe. Hopefully they looks as sad as Bill does.

Chris

• 21. Re: Export to tape failed
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

I had an interesting day on the IBC and a good contact with one of the Adobe guys. We will be in touch within two weeks to further discuss things that were not really suitable for discussion at the Adobe booth, so I will keep you informed.

Back to your problem. We have established beyond doubt that the firewire connection is OK, you have the legacy driver installed, capturing works without problems. Only export does not work, although all logical indicators say that it should work. That only leaves a hunt for illogical things that may cause this.

I say illogical, because I would not know whether there is any relation between your export issue and your second video card. We do know that there is something going on under the hood that requires MPE being turned off, which you have done, but in your specific case the dual video cards may cause some mysterious extra complication that PR can't handle. Grasping at straws here.

Question: If you completely remove the second video card from your system, can you then export to tape? Next to your decks, do you have a simple DV camera to try the export to tape?

I'm just trying to figure this out, but for the moment this is the only suggestion I have. I'm as baffled as you are.

• 22. Re: Export to tape failed
                                                  Chris Nierop Level 1

Harm,

Second question, I don't have a camera that allows recording via firewire. This has to do with import laws for videocamera's.

First issue, that I can do, but needs assistance because I don't know what happened with the complete system when I remove the hardware. When that means I have to reinstall everything and start completely new than it has to wait until my project which is running now has been finished. Maybe I have to go back to the vendor to do so. And if I do and it helps, than the problem is that I cannot run a 3e monitor.

But it is worth trying, thanks for the suggestions. I just been back from London and have seen 4 shows there in three days and have to recover from that. I leave Sunday for a two weeks trip to Bayern, Germany and after that I will reconsider the suggestions.

Nice to hear your trip was an success and am interested what the discussions may lead to, maybe Adobe will listen to the discussion around the 3e monitor issue which is on the forum and will lead to some changing in the software.

Chris

• 23. Re: Export to tape failed
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

If you are in the neighbourhood, I suggest Berchtesgaden, Königssee, the 'Berghaus' and the 'Adlersnest' as well as Dachau. A short trip to Salzburg is also very nice. There are many nice places to visit in the area, like Donaudurchbruch bei Weltenburg and Kelheim. Wish you a nice vacation.