3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 8:37 PM by Rick Gerard

AfterEffects video output and Youtube video quality problems

djnykk@gmail.com

Hello guys

I will be short, as my question is simple:

When I create video file and export it by hitting CTRL+M & selecting the best quality from small pop-up menu in Output Module: H.264 - AfterEffects will produce perfect quality and small video file. BUT, if I upload that video that looks perfect on any player and on any PC platform - to Youtube and play it - video will look very badly, like JPEG image with high compression! It will have lots of artifacts and dirt

I have made 3 video tests of the same part of the video [with text] in

a-h264.mp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3L36VFDVew

a-flv.flv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGx9I2DCuuc

a-f4v.f4v

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg56RVahYSs

Seems only FLV video [flash video] looks 98% correct [no compression] while all others looks bad.

Does anybody know why predefined output video presets in AfterEffects produces quality videos that looks great when played on PC and looks bad when upload to Youtube? Do you have any suggestion / help / ideas what is the best video file to be produced from AfterEffects that will look great online and offline?

Thank you very much for your help and all best.

Nick.

• 1. Re: AfterEffects video output and Youtube video quality problems
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want to make mp4 files for YouTube you should be rendering them with the Adobe Media Encoder using the H264 YouTube HD preset for 1280 X 720 or the other YouTube preset for SD projects. You can load an AE project directly into the media encoder and then pick the compositions you wish to render.

The only mod I would make to the preset would be to set the compression to 2 pass. This will give you the best you-tube quality and the fastest processing times because the video will exactly match YouTube standards.

BTW, did you realise that your videos are marked private. If you don't want them widely available but you want to share with the forum then I'd suggest you choose unlisted rather than private.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AfterEffects video output and Youtube video quality problems
            djnykk@gmail.com Level 1

Thank you very much for your help. I will try it and see results.

Well my video examples are in 720x480 pixels [requested by clients] and what I am looking is - quality of text - in FLV they are smooth while in any other direct-from-AfterEffects-exporting-video-preset - text look fuzzy [pause example videos and you will see].

Also thank you for reminding me youtube videos change private to unlisted. I didn`t realize this option will require logging in to view example files.

So - basic action for good PC and Youtube quality would be:

- export video file as full quality, non compressed AVI from AfterEffects, then

- open Adobe Media Encoder, import my uncompressed video

- and export to mp4 [h264]?

All best

Nick

• 3. Re: AfterEffects video output and Youtube video quality problems
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Now that I look at the files I can see that there are some compression artifacts in the two non flash versions of the video. These are probably caused by either a data rate that is too low or by single pass compression with high contrast edges. You'll never get great edges with single pass compression.

One thing to think about. Your comp size is 720 X 480 which means that the project is DV Video. It's kind of hard to tell by the examples you posted but I'm assuming they want a 4:3 picture aspect ration. SD NTSC video is rectangular pixels. YouTube is Square pixels, therefore, the video you're uploading to YouTube is going to be distorted. It is wider than it is on TV. The client may be very picky and probably doesn't understand pixel aspect ratios so they may be very dissapointed when they see the product on TV because it won't look the same as it did on YouTube. This is escpeciall critical if you have any perfect circles in something like the a logo.

Using the Media Encoder you'll want to pick the YouTube SD preset and turn on multi pass. This will render your video to the standard 640 X 480 square pixel equivalent of your project and present your client with an undistorted view of the video.

There are ways of working directly in square pixels and you should understand them. You should also read up on non square pixels in the help files so that you understand the workflow and the problems a little better. You'll find the info HERE.