2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2006 8:41 AM by DMS60

Pictures are resized by Contribute

DMS60
      I'll bet there's a really simple solution to this, don't let the long message scare you ...

Using Contribute 3.0 to create an online catalog using the supplied Starter Page "Photo Album Page - - Silver".

1. I changed the gray photo placeholder box size from the default 400x280 pixels to 800x1039 pixels.
      2. I save this page as "test3.htm" to my server (without inserting a photo).
      3. I publish this page to my server, and when viewed by IE7 I see the placeholder box with properties of 800x1039 pixels.

So far, so good.
      4. Back in Contribute I choose "Edit Page".
      5. I select the gray photo placeholder box and choose "Image Properties"
      6. Display Width and Height is shown correctly, 800x1039 pixels, and the "Constrain Proportions" box is checked.
      6. The "Image File: " dialog box is blank (no image yet selected) so I browse to a JPG image that is 800x1039 pixels (shown in Windows Explorer).
      7. When I confirm the selection I am returned to the Image Properties box, which has changed to show Display Width as 538 pixels and Display Height as 700 pixels.

If I select "OK" the picture is placed at the smaller dimensions, and a new image is created with a file name of name _002.ext.

If I manually change the settings in the Display Width and Height boxes the picture is placed at the larger size, but the image used is still the new file name "name _002.ext." and the picture is still noticibly lower resolution than the original image.

It appears Contribute is copying my original image file, reducing it to 700 pixels high, saving it with an different file name, then including it in the page. Any attempts to resize it in the page result in pixalation.

It's as if this layout will not allow a vertical dimension higher than 700 pixels.

Is this an issue I can resolve in the page itself? Or the CSS?

Any help greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Pictures are resized by Contribute
          Level 7
          The Administrator of your site (hopefully you in this case) can set the
          maximum resolution for images inserted into a page. Within each role's
          settings, there is a "New Images" tab that controls this option.

DMS60 wrote:
          > I'll bet there's a really simple solution to this, don't let the long message
          > scare you ...
          >
          > Using Contribute 3.0 to create an online catalog using the supplied Starter
          > Page "Photo Album Page - - Silver".
          >
          > 1. I changed the gray photo placeholder box size from the default 400x280
          > pixels to 800x1039 pixels.
          > 2. I save this page as "test3.htm" to my server (without inserting a photo).
          > 3. I publish this page to my server, and when viewed by IE7 I see the
          > placeholder box with properties of 800x1039 pixels.
          >
          > So far, so good.
          > 4. Back in Contribute I choose "Edit Page".
          > 5. I select the gray photo placeholder box and choose "Image Properties"
          > 6. Display Width and Height is shown correctly, 800x1039 pixels, and the
          > "Constrain Proportions" box is checked.
          > 6. The "Image File: " dialog box is blank (no image yet selected) so I browse
          > to a JPG image that is 800x1039 pixels (shown in Windows Explorer).
          > 7. When I confirm the selection I am returned to the Image Properties box,
          > which has changed to show Display Width as 538 pixels and Display Height as 700
          > pixels.
          >
          > If I select "OK" the picture is placed at the smaller dimensions, and a new
          > image is created with a file name of name _002.ext.
          >
          > If I manually change the settings in the Display Width and Height boxes the
          > picture is placed at the larger size, but the image used is still the new file
          > name "name _002.ext." and the picture is still noticibly lower resolution
          > than the original image.
          >
          > It appears Contribute is copying my original image file, reducing it to 700
          > pixels high, saving it with an different file name, then including it in the
          > page. Any attempts to resize it in the page result in pixalation.
          >
          > It's as if this layout will not allow a vertical dimension higher than 700
          > pixels.
          >
          > Is this an issue I can resolve in the page itself? Or the CSS?
          >
          > Any help greatly appreciated.
          >
          • 2. Re: Pictures are resized by Contribute
            DMS60 Level 1
            That was it!

Thanks for your help.