5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2011 12:48 PM by the_wine_snob

PrE 9 no video

sirjello2

I have no video (only audio) when trying to look at clips on Premiere 9.

I can play these clips without any problems on other video players.

I just updated my video drivers to 8.881.0.0 (AMD/ATI) and windows update is 'uptodate'.  PrE is up to date as of Sept 1, 2011.

The camera I'm using is a Canon HF G10 and I am recording on MXP (highest) quality.

My computer details are as follows:

windows 7 professional 64 bit

i7 930

12 GB ram

program is on 120 GB SSD

videos are on a separate 1 TB western digital caviar black

radeon HD5870

...not sure what other info may be useful (I'm new to video).

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

• 1. Re: PrE 9 no video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

Have you got the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, per the program requirements?

How did you get the video from the camcorder to the computer? Did you use Premeire Elements' Video Importer by way of the Get Media tool?

• 2. Re: PrE 9 no video
            sirjello2 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't think I am in a 'project'.  I am trying to play the video clips in 'organize'.

My quicktime is up to date.

I imported the recordings by using the 'organizer' and File/get photos and video/from camera or card reader...

• 3. Re: PrE 9 no video
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are components in the program that need to be activated.

First, ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, per the software're requirements. Then open a Full AVCHD project that matches your video specs, import your video into it and place your video on your timeline. This should activate the AVCHD component.

Because this is a multi-format camcorder, I can't guarantee your video will play in Organizer. (AVCHD plays fine in my Organizer.) But, if anything will activate this necessary components to make this happening, this should.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PrE 9 no video
                sirjello2 Level 1

Quicktime is the latest version.

I opened a project with what I think is the appropriate preset and video works, but there is no audio!

When I go back and open the organizer, there continues to be no video, but I can hear audio!

Wierd.

I frequently use lightroom and photoshop, those applications just work.  I think they are great (particularly lightroom).  I was hoping PrE would be as slick.

I can see that this isn't going to be straightforward.  Maybe this industry has too many video formats.  Are there any other all-in-one video importing/organizing/editing programs made by Adobe or that you could recommend I look at?

thanks.

• 5. Re: PrE 9 no video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the big differences between a video editor and an image editor, is the vast range of material, that can be Imported into the video editor. Besides the same, common still image formats, there are many dozens of video formats, and almost all of those have dozens of variations. Nearly all video files will have two CODEC's, one for the Video Stream, and one for the Audio Stream. Those are not givens, and each can greatly impact how the file performs in the video editor.

Next, the video editing program must interface very closely with computer sub-systems, like the Audio, that PS and LR do not have to worry about. Then, and though they do interface with the video card's driver, the video editing program will do so at a much, much higher level. Last, getting all those images to "move" requires a lot more computing horsepower, than does a still image editor.

Knowing exactly what is in the AV file, is all important, and unless one knows the exact specifications, that their camera uses, we recommend that they research the files in either G-Spot, or MediaInfo - both free utilities.

With the right material, the right Project Preset, and a tuned computer, PrE usually works very, very well, and especially when one considers all that extra work, that it must do.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful