6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2011 10:10 AM by rob day

InDesign 5 changes automatically RGB to CMYK, is possible?

EAN40078117

Hello everyone,

First at all, I'm Spanish so I apologize my faults writing.

RGB.jpgCMYK.jpg

I always work with RGB (monitor, profile color Adobe, printers, documents, etc...), because all my printers suppliers have this color profile in their prints.

The problem:

When I have a red box in RGB and I paste a PSD document (without background and RGB), automatically the red box change to darker its appearence. And depend on the design of differents page the appearence in PDF is different.

Please, anyone could help me??

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: InDesign 5 changes automatically RGB to CMYK, is possible?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First off, you should PLACE, not paste, the art from Photoshop. When you paste you get only the low resolution screen preview.

As for the darkening, I think this may be the same effect that makes type look bolder when you add transparency to a page. It shows up on screen and in low resolution prints, but generally not with press output. You've used a spot color, are you going to press, or are you using a different output method. You really should use spots only when the output method uses real spot ink.

The other thing to check is your transparency flattener blend space. I think in this case you probably want Document RGB, but if it's already set for that, see waht happens if you switch to CMYK. I'm not certain what happens with the spot colors in either option if there is no direct interaction with transparency.

• 2. Re: InDesign 5 changes automatically RGB to CMYK, is possible?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It may also help to go to Ink Manager and check the box to Use Lab values for spot colors.

• 3. Re: InDesign 5 changes automatically RGB to CMYK, is possible?
              EAN40078117 Level 1

Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for your fast answer. I think I'm a expert user of this program and really I've never seen someone like this.

I always use place and manage the the pictures with "links". So When I said "copy the picture" (previously placed in the page) and I only do these steps:

1) I have the text in "red" + picture. (Red = tone dark)

2) Cut the picture and leave the "red" text. (Red = tone brillant, as I want the document).

3) I Paste in place the same picture. And automatically the red of the text change to dark.

I'll check the ink Managers, but I think is very strange or my program doesn't work correctly.

KR

• 4. Re: InDesign 5 changes automatically RGB to CMYK, is possible?
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One thing I notice in your screen captures is you have to visually similar orange spot colors. One named Asepri, which is a spot defined as RGB, the other is PANTONE Warm Red U with a CMYK definition. If you are using the default CMYK Transparency Blend space and your object is filled with the Apepri RGB orange color, it would be brought into the CMYK gamut (darkened) as soon as you place a PSD with transparency. I'm guessing you don't really want the two similar orange spot colors so delete the one you aren't using and set your ink manager to Lab for spot colors.

• 5. Re: InDesign 5 changes automatically RGB to CMYK, is possible?
                  EAN40078117 Level 1

Hi Rob,

I have a problem with that, so I want to delete the Pantones (two) but I have not option for this. And I created a new blank document and InDesign does the same (I think convert RGB to CMYK automatically) and in this new document there are only "Asepri" colour.

I'll try to work with another computer because I think the problem is the computer + Software.

Thank you!

• 6. Re: InDesign 5 changes automatically RGB to CMYK, is possible?
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    And I created a new blank document and InDesign does the same (I think convert RGB to CMYK automatically) and in this new document there are only "Asepri" colour.

Set your Asperi spot color mode to Lab and check Use Lab Values for All Spots in Ink Manager.