4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 12:58 AM by gtcable

Illustrator brush stroke - Character arm rig

gtcable

I found some fantastic tutorials on how to animated cartoon characters going from Adobe Illustrator to Flash. Very useful.

One tip that was tantalizingly mentioned by not spelled out was how you  can create a character's whole arm as a brush stroke in Illustrator and  then animated it in Flash. See for yourself at the 06:45 marker.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PeaceLoveAnimation#p/u/0/ywONJam2dSg

Anyone have any idea how you can take this brush stroked arm into Flash and have it be as flexible & keyable?

Mahalo for sharing!

• 1. Re: Illustrator brush stroke - Character arm rig
          gtcable Level 1

Still have not been able to figure out how to rig the "brush arm" in two  weeks. My only thought I can think of is to use the puppet (pin) tool  in After Effects to control just the arm animations. Having thick to  thin brush strokes on some features of a character bogs down key framing  without some special rig to work those elements otherwise. I'm avoiding  the bone tool as well because it's too unpredictable.

Would prefer to do all key framing in Flash rather than to jump back and forth between After Effects and Flash.

Any help out there?

• 2. Re: Illustrator brush stroke - Character arm rig
            gtcable Level 1

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

• 3. Re: Illustrator brush stroke - Character arm rig
              gtcable Level 1

Still no reply from anyone here.

I continue on in the wilderness alone.

So I experimented with my last theory. Attempted to use the Puppet Pin Tool in After Effects to achieve the flexiblity I'm looking for. FAILED! It essentially creates a rastered video when exported as either FLV or XFL. The XFL version creates an alias halo as well.

WattEyebrowTest1.jpg

Next I attempted to use the very dodgy IK bone tool in Flash. That created all sorts of overlapping compound path problems.

WattEyebrowTest2.jpg

The solution is out there somewhere!

We've seen it work.

Still it eludes me.

Mai Tai to anyone that can help a fellow animator out!

• 4. Re: Illustrator brush stroke - Character arm rig
                gtcable Level 1

Hmmm...guess this is too hard for anyone to figure out.
                Well, if I ever do solve this riddle I'll be sure to share it here.