10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 12:11 PM by Steve Grisetti

Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9

Brainforest

I use pre8 at work - use Interpret Footage all the time to Conform to - PAL widescreen. It works fine. No problems.

I have just purchased pre9 for use at home. Interpret Footage does NOT work. The video fails and the audio fails. Not good. Problem.

I am using the exact same footage, camera, project settings etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder is this video coming from and how diid you get it into your computer? Which project settings did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?

Do you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, per the software's requirements? If you are using a Windows computer, have you manually gone to Windows Update to ensure that you have even the non-critical updates?

Interpret Footage does indeed work in version 9. Just right-click on the clip in your Project panel and select the option. If it doesn't work, there must be something in your settings or on your system that's blocking it.

• 2. Re: Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Interpret Footage is not a fail-safe file converter. It is only useful if PrE is not picking up a flag in the file's header, say it is seeing the footage as 4:3 Standard, when it was shot 16:9 Widescreen. It can only correct for a few attributes, in otherwise good files.

The more that you can tell us about the problem files, the better someone can diagnose the possible issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9
              Brainforest Level 1

Canon FS306

pre9 - Get Media

PAL - Hard disk, Flash memory camcorders - Widescreen 48Hz

Latest Quicktime

All Windows 7 Updates

When I drag clip into project I get this message:

The format of the clips you are adding do not match the project settings format.

For best results you should use a project preset that matches your clip.

Do you want to change the project settings to match your clips? Yes/No

It makes no difference if I select Yes or No.

The video is almost completely frozen and so is the audio.

On pre8 I do not get the message regarding format when I drag in the clip.

Everything else is the same.

I select Interpret Footage and all is good.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

• 4. Re: Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9

Unfortunately, this isn't the most ideal camcorder for using with Premiere Elements. Which mode are you shooting in: XP, SP or LP?

It's just a standard resolution flash storage camcorder. About the best project settings would be for Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder, Standard DV or Widescreen DV, whichever matche the format you're shooting in. Then ignore the program's offer to switch it to a different project preset.

Then render your timeline whenever you see a red line above your clips by pressing Enter (the red line will turn green when the clips are rendered).

That's about as good as you're going to get.

• 5. Re: Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9
                  Brainforest Level 1

Shooting in XP.

Rendered Timeline. No improvement.

Thank you for your help.

But sadly I conclude -

Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9

• 6. Re: Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9

Well, Interpret Footage must not work for this type of video anyway.

But it does indeed work for every video clip I've tried, if  you select the option after right-clicking on a clip in your Project panel.

• 7. Re: Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Brainforest

I suspect that your issue has nothing to do with your video footage, camcorder, but everything to do with a glitch in the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Interpret Footage feature.It is not a fatal glitch unless you overlook what is happening. I will describe it, and let us see if this is the cause of your issue.

Let us say that I have Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 with a video file on the Timeline, frame rate 29.97 frames per second and maybe Pixel Aspect Ratio = Square Pixels. The choices are not important. It is what happens in trying to change anything like these in Interpret Footage Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1. For now let us say that you want to change just the Pixel Aspect Ratio to something else.

a. I right click the video file in Project Media View, select Interpret Footage from the menu.

b. In the Interpret Footage dialog, I go to Pixel Aspect Ratio and change it from Square Pixels to something else. Then I click OK.

c. Then, when I resume operation in the workspace, the Pixel Aspect Ratio will be Square Pixels, BUT the frame rate will be 1.00 instead of 29.97.

Whether or not you are going to change the Frame Rate there, you need to select and type in the desired frame rate in the field where it says "Assume the frame rate ___"

In my case, even though I did not alter "Frame Rate from File" = 29.97, the typing cursor jumps to the Assume this frame rate field ____ when you open the Interpret Footage dialog. If you are changing the frame rate anyway, you would never know the problem. But, when you are only changing the Pixel Aspect Ratio, often this glitch goes unnoticed.

Bottom line: In your PAL system, if the file frame rate is 25 frames per second and you want to change just the Pixel Aspect Ratio in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, be sure to type in 25 in the field for Assume this frame rate to prevent the result of 1.00 frames per second.

Please check this out and see if this is happening in your case.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9
                        Brainforest Level 1

Bravo, bravo. Clap, clap. YEAH! YEAH! Life is good again.

Yes, that silly glitch was the problem.

The frame rate was incidently being changed to 1.00 without me noticing

I now select Pixel Aspect Ratio to Conform to PAL Widescreen.

I then go back and select the option to maintain original frame rate from file.

Too easy.

Thank you kindly for your help.

All the best.

• 9. Re: Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Brainforest

Thanks for the follow up with that great news that what I described worked for you.

Sorry that I have not written about this glitch sooner here. I do not get a chance to visit here as often as I would like. I have written about it elsewhere and am surprised that it has not been written about here previously by others including Adobe.

ATR

• 10. Re: Interpret Footage works fine in pre8 but NOT pre9

Tony R scores again! Thanks for a valuable fix, sir!