2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2011 10:19 PM by amit52 RSS

Unable to change preferences for Adobe Reader 9.4.2 on Ubuntu 11.04

woop11.04 Community Member

I installed Adobe Reader 9 via the Ubuntu Software Center.  The installed files are located at /opt/Adobe/Reader9/

The reader runs ok except when I want to change some preferences, I've found that I can only view Preferences, but I cannot change it.  All options are protected including the Cancel and OK buttons.  I can only close the Preferences window.

Is it just a simple permission (chmod on some files) issue?

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Unable to change preferences for Adobe Reader 9.4.2 on Ubuntu 11.04
          david6nz Community Member

If you have the latest updates, then Acrobat Reader 9.4.2 does (at least) partially work in Ubuntu 11.10 + Unity.

There are a number of minor glitches - due to changes in Ubuntu's undelying GUI, kernal, etc. in the upgrde to Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric).

-  floating scroll bars (only appearing when you hover mouse-cursor)

DOES NOT WORK: Does not scroll page .. 

You may need to disable this feature.  (in CCSM)

-  Edit >> Preferences

This tries to work, but loses focus.  I can see the Cancel and Ok buttons, but they don't do anyhting.

This is a GTK+ library issue, and an update to 9.4.2+ is needed.

Summary: There are a number of minor GUI issues that haev existed in 9.4.x for Linux.  The update to Gnome 3 and Unity (for Ubuntu 11.10) has definitely made this much worse.

• 2. Re: Unable to change preferences for Adobe Reader 9.4.2 on Ubuntu 11.04
            amit52 Community Member

I just found that you can, in fact, make changes to the Preferences using the keyboard. Use <tab> to move between selections, <spacebar> to select or unselect checkbox options, and <arrow> keys in spinners. To finalize, select the OK button using the <tab> key and press <enter>. It appears you have to pres the key a few times, or maybe there is a delay and I was too impatient.

Hope this helps.