5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 4:36 AM by Aniks

importing media problem

u65ex54ed

i constantly have issues geting video files

into my project. i dont beleive that

it has much to do with the format or s

ize because it will let me select any movie file an

it will try and upload it but sometimes it will not upload. if it does upload i have to tell it were the file is located but when i go to the location of the file and select it, it simply goes up to the next folder and decelects it. any help  would be greatly apreciated

• 1. Re: importing media problem
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, you haven't given us nearly enough information to help you.

What type of camcorder is your video coming from? Are you using Premiere Elements' Get Media tool to get the video from the camcorder into your computer?

When you started your PRemiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

What operating system are you using?

How much free, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive? Are you editing your video on your C drive or on a second or external drive? If you are editing to another drive, have you ensured that the drive is formatted NTFS and not FAT32, as they come from the factory?

• 2. Re: importing media problem
            u65ex54ed Level 1

my video is coming from a mini dv

camcorder and am using premiere elements 8. my setings are for the DV standard 48hkz. my operating system is windows 7. only 13 GB of memory is left

• 3. Re: importing media problem
              the_wine_snob Level 9

only 13 GB of memory is left

If that is only 13GB of HDD space left, then it is very likely at least part of the problem. This will be especially true if your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) is dynamically managed (the default), as you will have even less space, than you are seeing, with the computer at idle.

One other consideration is that as a HDD nears 70% of capacity, it begins slowing down, and the slowing is exponential, as one gets closer to 100% capacity. Near 100%, the likelihood of failure goes up too.

With miniDV tape Capture, the files will be DV-AVI, the best that you can get, and they will occupy ~ 13GB per hour of tape.

I would do a major cleaning of the HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: importing media problem
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bill. Premiere Elements has a problem running on computers with less than 20 gigs of free, defragmented space on the C drive -- especially if you are using that same drive to run your programs and to store your project and media files.

You'll do well to clear off another 15 gigabytes of space and defragment your drive. You'll do even better to add a second hard drive or even an external drive as your media and project file area.

• 5. Re: importing media problem
                  Aniks Level 2

Also, if you haven't applied the patch for Premiere Elements 8, then I would recommend you to apply it. You may get it from "http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4653&fileID=4342"