9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2011 8:15 AM by ExactImage

How to Replace Footage with an AVCHD .MTS?

Navarro Parker Level 3

I have a sequence edited together from what I thought was a master H264 M4V.  I now find out that the real master is AVCHD. So how can I replace my M4V footage with an MTS?

If I do a Replace Footage, I can see multiple AVCHD MTS Streams and the usual mess of folders inside a BDMV folder, but I seem to only be able to import via Media Browser. Replace Footage doesn't work with files already in Premiere, right?

I've only worked with AVCHD files once before, so I'm a little lost.

• 1. Re: How to Replace Footage with an AVCHD .MTS?
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Not sure I properly understand you (moreover, I'm sure I do not understand you completely again...)

Well, anyway...

(Sorry for being stupid in advance...)

BDMV folder has quite clear structure.

*.MTS files themselves are contained in the STREAM folder.

Personally I have no problem with 'Replace Footage...' option in PrPro, it works in absolutely the same way as in AE...
          - Right-click footage in Project Panel

- Choose 'Replace Footage...'

- Choose proper footage and click 'Select'

• 2. Re: How to Replace Footage with an AVCHD .MTS?
            ExactImage Level 3

You can replace footage already on a sequence with different footage already in the project.  There are a couple of options....

1) Select the new file in the bin, the right click on the file in the sequence and choose replace footage with clip from bin.

or

2) Select the footage in the bin and bring it in to the source monitor (you can set in/out points etc).  Then select the clip on the sequence (as before) and choose replace footage from source monitor.

Hope that helps....

• 3. Re: How to Replace Footage with an AVCHD .MTS?
              Navarro Parker Level 3

Thanks for the advice.

I was confused because Media Browser showed 1 MTS file, while the Import dialog showed 8 MTS files in the same folder. I wasn't sure if the individual MTS streams would seamlessly link themselves together. But they do! I did a "Replace Footage" and selected the first MTS and it automatically linked the rest of them together. (I guess MTS is limited to 2GB?)

• 4. Re: How to Replace Footage with an AVCHD .MTS?
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                I guess MTS is limited to 2GB?

Yep

• 5. Re: How to Replace Footage with an AVCHD .MTS?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

(I guess MTS is limited to 2GB?)

Well, the extension itself has no such limitations.  Even the AVCHD specification doesn't have it.  It's just the cameras are purposefully limited to the outmoded and inadequate FAT32 file system. THAT is what has the file size limit.  It would be very possible to record AVCHD to an NTFS formatted card and get one file per recording, no matter how long it was.  All we need is for camera makers to program their cameras to allow the NTFS format.

The problem is Mac users, who can't natively read and write to the NTFS format out-of-the-box.  To make sure Mac editors can use AVCHD (and other solid state media), camera makers restrict SD, P2 and other cards to the aforementioned outdated and limiting FAT32 file structure.

• 6. Re: How to Replace Footage with an AVCHD .MTS?
                    ExactImage Level 3

Jim,  I'm sure we've had this discussion before..... but it's not the fault of either the camera makers OR Mac users    Since I'm now using both Mac and Windows 7 equally, I really have no axe to grind against either company.

This is entriely the fault of Microsoft who were unwilling to license NTFS to other companies, including Apple, Linux etc, added to the fact that NTFS is not suitable for lower powered devices with small amounts of embedded RAM.  NTFS is simply too complicated for them to handle using small microcontrollers, so hoping for NTFS on cameras is folly in my mind.  It's just not going to happen.

Apple, like Linux also have a file system that can handle larger files, larger even than NTFS.  The Linux file system is also open source and royalty free, so could be used free of charge by lots of camera manufacurors if they wanted to (excpet it's also a lot more complicated than FAT32), but Microsoft choose not to support it (i.e. you couldn't read the cards on Windows), probably to try block Linux getting an even stronger hold on their server market than it has already.

The fact is that FAT32 was simple to implement for small memory devices of years gone by and nothing has come along to replace it that was (a) easy on the CPU / RAM and (b) royalty free.

There's no reason they couldn't implement a FAT64, FAT128 etc, though Microsoft would probably be the sticking point there too.....

UDF was supposed to be a new replacement that could be universal (hence the name Universal Disk Format), and indeed it's easy to use in read only format (UDF 1.2 is used by even the lowest powered DVD player from 15 years ago!) but to write to UDF takes a lot more power and memory.  Also, the UDF format has evolved and is now even more complicated than before.  So, UDF is not an option either.

So, yes, the 2GB limited is caused by a 2s compliment implementation of a 32 bit file system (tecnically it could do almost 4GB, allowing for FAT terminators etc, but they only use 31 bits for the file size, which allows for reverse seeking), in a FAT (File Allocation Table) format.

Finding the next lowest common denominator is the task I hope they pull off soon.  While we can all usually work around the 2GB limit (by joining files) it would be much easier to have complete files in the first place

• 7. Re: How to Replace Footage with an AVCHD .MTS?
                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

My two pennies...

Historically AVCHD format was initially introduced for consumer camcorders. Format file system utilises 8.3 filename convention that referres to FAT32 limitations. So that consumers were able to transfer recorded files into a computer and then play SONY e.g. offered Camcorder Utility, which compiled short MTS files into long m2ts ones (also assigning long 14-digits filename), although both MTS and m2ts refer to exactly the same wrapper...

• 8. Re: How to Replace Footage with an AVCHD .MTS?
                        Navarro Parker Level 3

exFAT is supposed to be the replacement for FAT32. But I haven't seen any mainstream device support it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

• 9. Re: How to Replace Footage with an AVCHD .MTS?
                          ExactImage Level 3

Indeed.   Note the words "Proprietary" and "Patent Pending".    Microsoft aren't doing this for the good of the camera community, they are going to want license fees and/or royalties, which will cause all sorts of problems getting it accepted as the next mainstream format to replace FAT32.