4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2011 7:56 PM by the_wine_snob

Canon Vixia HF R21 camcorder question

22163991 Level 1

Problem: Just bought a Canon Vixia HF R21 HD camcorder. Just shot a football game with it using the highest quality setting called MXP. This is 1080x1920 at 24Mbps and a frame rate of 60i. Output is 1080i. The video looks awesome on the camcorder screen.

In PE9 it looks jittery AND WAVY. Almost like looking trough heat waves.

Questions:

1. I did not set the camera to sports mode. Should I have?

2. Besides 60i, there are PF30 and PF24 frame rates. Would either get rid of the jitters?

3. Is the jitters I'm seeing because I don't have a Hi-def monitor or TV or Blu-ray player?

4. Don't know about 1080i vs 1080p.

5. All I know is I want what's on the camera to be on DVDs or Blu-ray DVDs.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Canon Vixia HF R21 camcorder question
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com on your system.

Then ensure that, when you started your project, you chose the settings for a Full AVCHD 1920x1080 video project. You'll know if you've selected the right settings for your project because, when you add the video to your timeline, there will NOT be a red line above the clips until you add effects or transitions to them.

Is that the case in your situation?

Did you use Premiere Elements' Video Importer to get the video from the camcorder to your computer? You should. It's located under Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk Cameras.

If, with everything set up right, you're still having problems, it could be that your computer isn't powerful enough to work with AVCHD. Most people successfully editing AVCHD have quad-core or i7 processors.

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? Have you cleared and defragmented your hard drive recently?

• 2. Re: Canon Vixia HF R21 camcorder question
            22163991 Level 1

have amd phenom x955 quad core and 8gb ram

under change settings....

no clue what to choose

In a message dated 9/2/2011 1:14:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

First,  ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com

on your  system.

Then ensure that, when you started your project, you  chose the settings

for a Full AVCHD 1920x1080 video project. You'll know if  you've selected the

right settings for your project because, when you add the  video to your

timeline, there will NOT be a red line above the clips until you  add effects

or transitions to them.

Is that the case in your  situation?

Did you use Premiere Elements' Video Importer to get  the video from the

camcorder to your computer? You should. It's located under  Get Media/From

Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk Cameras.

If, with  everything set up right, you're still having problems, it could

be that your  computer isn't powerful enough to work with AVCHD. Most people

successfully  editing AVCHD have quad-core or i7 processors.

How fast is your  processor and how much RAM do you have? Have you cleared

and defragmented your  hard drive  recently?

• 3. Re: Canon Vixia HF R21 camcorder question
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm sorry, you haven't given me enough information to be able to help you. If you can't answer my questions, I can't answer yours.

Maybe it would help if you worked through my free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com. Part 1 explains how to properly set up a project.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 4. Re: Canon Vixia HF R21 camcorder question
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Perhaps this ARTICLE will give you tips on the info, that is so necessary to troubleshoot remotely.

Good luck,

Hunt