10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 10:36 AM by charlzm

Missing FX on output

charlzm

I added a fractal noise effect to a solid in my composition.  I can see that reulst when I park on a frame inside the project.  When I ouput the composition, the final .mov file has all the lighting, animation, etc... except that effect on the solid.

Help?

• 1. Re: Missing FX on output
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Turn off OpenGL in the prefs, or at leasdt set the "Accelerate effects using..." option to adaptive mode. Fractal Noise is hardware accelerated and under cvertain conditions this may not work for final output due to OpenGL's resource handling model.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Missing FX on output
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Also check your render settings. You can turn off effects there, and it may be that you're using a render settings template that has effects turned off.

• 3. Re: Missing FX on output
              charlzm Level 1

OpenGL was off.  Thanks for the info, though.

• 4. Re: Missing FX on output
                charlzm Level 1

Render settings were correct.  The reason this was so perplexing is that I've been using After Effects for almost three years now and have never had this issue before, even when exporting similar footage.

• 5. Re: Missing FX on output
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I don't understand. Do you mean that you've resolved the issue and the render settings were the culprit, or do you mean that you haven't resolved the issue and the render settings are and were as they should be?

• 6. Re: Missing FX on output
                    charlzm Level 1

What I wound up doing as a work-around:

This was a short title sequuence for a DVD/Blu-Ray project.  I had several 3D lights moving, switching on/off, changing luminosity/color, etc... while an angled solid provided a backdrop for the shadows the spotlights threw on some text.  I wanted to add just a hint of fractal noise to make things more visually interesting.  On my output, however, I wasn't getting any of the fractal noise.

I finally wound up checking "rasterize every frame", which made my fractal noise appear on output.  However, doing this resulted in the shadows disappearing!

So I took an earlier saved output (without the fractal noise but with shadows), the latest output (with fractal noise but without shadows), brought them both into Avid and then layered them with the fractal clip having 25% opacity on top of the shadows clip.

Worked out okay.

Would be nice to know why I had to resort to a workaround, though.

• 7. Re: Missing FX on output
                      charlzm Level 1

I'm sorry, I meant that the render settings did not seem to be the issue.  However, I am not still not sure why this has happened.

• 8. Re: Missing FX on output
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I finally wound up checking "rasterize every frame",

Now I'm very confused. Where is there such an option?

• 9. Re: Missing FX on output
                          bogiesan Level 4

I'm confused, too, but that's myproblem, notyours.

I do this kind of thing by pre-rendering as may of the smaller pieces as possible or reasonable. That way I end up with a sinlge movie that will be processed quickly if I'm aplying a global filter.

Unpredicatably weird things happen when you try to apply an adjustment layer to a complex 3D sequence.

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Missing FX on output
                            charlzm Level 1

I'm not sitting in front of the program right now, but I believe it's a toggle in the timeline window.  (Sorry if I don't know the official term for that window).