15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 8:31 AM by focus16

Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)

kirk_c

Ok I have a very perplexing situation.  I have been doing video editing for years but this is a new one for me.  I just got a new Windows 7 PC (64 bit) I7-8GB RAM Lenovo system.  I just installed Premiere CS5.5 on it and installed a new SIIG firewire card.  I have a Sony Mini-DV camercorder that works great and have been exporting with firewire on my previous 3 systems with no problem (last system was Win 7 64bit as well).  On this system I attach the camera via firewire cable and Windows instantly recognizes the camera and the general dialog box comes up asking me if I would like to capture video with Adobe Premiere, Cyberlink PowerDirector, or Windows Live Photo Gallery.   Both PowerDirector and Windows Photo Gallery I can open and capture video with no problems. However if I open Premiere in anyway (in DV mode) and bring up the capture window while the camera is on I get the message:  "Can't activate recorder.  Try resetting camera."   If I switch the camera off while the capture window is up it then switches to the message "Capture device offline". 

So it seems the firewire card, camera are fine, but giving Premiere fits for some reason.   Side notes, I also have a Sony FX-1 HD camera which I can connect with the same firewire cable and inside Premiere and it will capture video but will not display it while capturing (I read this is common with High Def video though).   I also have disabled the Windows firewall as I read about in other threads.  I have tried 2 other firewire cards with the same exact results.  The mini-DV camera I'm trying to get Premiere to capture with is a Sony DCR-PC9 and I have used it in my last 3 systems all running Windows and Premiere. This is really frustating.

Any tips and or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Kirk

• 1. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)
          Alan Craven-Y3Asuo Level 1

Have you tried the change of firewire drivers to "legacy" which is often recommended for solving firewire problems with Windows 7?

• 3. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)
            kirk_c Level 1

Ok here is what I just tried for the last half hour.  I went in to device manager and set the 1394 driver to the legacy option (1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)).   Rebooted, same results....PowerDirector captures no problem but not Premiere.  There is also an option for Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller and tried that with a reboot and it has the exact same results.  The last driver is the Unibrain driver / OHCI Compatible Board and when I use that option with a reboot no program can capture at all, it even caused a Blue Screen reboot when I tried to update the driver thru the internet.

Further observations:  In Premiere in the Capture box I tried setting the camera to Sony (DCR-PC9) with all the drivers and no luck.  I tried switching from DV to HDV capture mode and something interesting happened.  The Capture window went black (instead of the default gray) but it showed 'Capture Device offline'...but what was interesting was I was able to use the STOP and PLAY buttons to work the camera and even the REWIND, FF, etc.  But not the record button.  Still it showed no display in the capture box and further it still said "Capture Device offline" (even though it was playing on the camera viewfinder).

My last Windows 7 setup I had with Premiere shows two drivers in the device manage for the Firewire card (I just checked).  And it has the same exact model firewire card.  They are "Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" and "VIA OHCI Compliant Host Controller" in that order.  Do you think I might need to get my card configured like my last machine with both drivers?  I have no idea what the VIA one is or where it came from.

Thanks again for any help!

• 4. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)

With Windows 7 you must not switch on your camera until Windows has booted.  Open Premiere after switching on your camera.  You mention both HD and mini-DV cameras - and the HD camera captures OK?

You are not trying to capture from your mini-DV camera into an HD project, are you?

I know these are basic points, and I expect you are doing the right thing, but clearly there is something odd going on If you can capture with one camera, but not the other.  If you are able to capture from one camera using a particular fire wire port and lead, but not from another camera using the same port and lead, then the problem must lie with the camera, and its matching to the Premiere project.

If you had two instances of firewire drivers in your previous sytem, you probably had two firewire devices. one Texas, one Via.

Another old trick to solve Premiere problems is to clear the preferences files and/or re-create the PluginCache by holding down the shift key while starting Premiere.

It could also be worth opening a new project, with a single mini-DV sequence and try to capture again.

• 5. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)
                kirk_c Level 1

Ok well I made sure and booted the PC, switched on the camera, launched Premiere and still the same things are happening.  I messed around for another half hour just doing different little things like booting the PC, then plugging in the firewire, then turning on the camera, then Premiere,  or turning on the PC, launching Premiere, then the camera, etc.  Basically all sorts of different sequences but still getting the exact same problem.  I am capturing in the correct mode (DV vs HDV) and the project is in the correct mode as well.     Now as far as what you asked about the HDV capturing this is also a little quirky.  I can launch an HDV project and goto Capture and I will not get any video display in the capture box but if I hit the record button it will say "Playing on Video Hardware" in the capture box followed by the asian text.  Now when I hit stop the capture has indeed worked and I can put it on the timeline.  I just can't see it while I am capturing.   Side note, in PowerDirector I can see the footage on my HD camera and Capture box while capturing it.   I also tried booting Premiere with SHIFT key down and further opening a new DV project while in Premiere and bringing up the capture box to no avail.   Another side note as I have ordered Sony Vegas which will be here on Tuesday and I can update the thread on if Vegas recoginizes both cameras and captures with a display, etc.  But as PowerDirector and the Microsoft ones do, I have a feeling Vegas should work.  I am just extremely proficient and fast at editing in Premiere and would hate to have to dedicate a lot of time switching from Adobe for such an annoying glitch.

Thanks again for any help!

• 6. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)

Sorry, but at that point, I am out of ideas.

The one thing I can add is that your HDV capture is normal Premiere behaviour.  The video is not displayed in the capture window, and you get a multi-lingual message about viewing the video on your hardware.

As a work-around, can you not capture your video using Power Director, and then import the clips into Premiere?

• 7. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)
                    kirk_c Level 1

Thanks for your help Alan, and at this point I am out of ideas too.  I can always import

with a different program but you know how inconveinent that is.  I will if I get a chance

update this thread on Tuesday night about Sony Vegas and if it works fine as well.

Anyone else who can throw some light on this very bizzarre glitch, please by all means...

thanks!

• 8. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)
                      Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Harm, what was the old standby capture utility that you recommended?

• 9. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not Harm, but...

SD capture http://windv.mourek.cz/ or http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html or http://www.exsate.com/products/dvcapture/
                        Do note that the demo version of ScenalyzerLive puts a watermark in the files it creates
                        - I'm told that the OLD version of Scenalyzer is freeware... check the download page for details

Try this for HDV capture http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

• 10. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)
                          kirk_c Level 1

Just an update.   I got Sony Vegas in the mail, installed it, and it too recognized both of my camcorders (the Mini-DV and the FX-1 HD) and was able to capture and watch while capturing (even in HD which Premiere still can't do).   So basically my favorite video capture and editing program (Premiere) is the only one that isn't working with my Mini DV camera.  So I returned the Lenovo system and dropped a lot of extra dough and got a Vaio-All-in-One PC that does everything (firewire was built in).  I tried Premiere on it and works like a charm.  It is running Windows 7 64bit OS as was the Lenovo.  So even though I wanted the Lenovo (I like being able to swap drives in and out and there is no way with this VAIO, you can't even open it up) I'm going to try the VAIO for awhile.   Another update: I went back to Fry's and purchased another model Lenovo with the same OS but a different graphics card, memory, etc just to see if perhaps I got a glitchy system.  Same exact thing, Premiere wouldn't recognize my DV camera while Vegas did.  So I'm thinking there is some kind of conflict with the setup drivers on the Lenovo PCs and Premiere and/or my camcorder.   Just wanted to update the thread incase anyone finds themselves here with a few more gray hairs than normal.  Thanks for all the help guys!

• 12. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)
                            dlewistheman

Make sure you have an audio output device plugged in.  I'm not exactly sure why, but when I have no device (speakers/headphones) plugged in and I have the little speaker icon in the corner by the clock with a red "X" on it, I get the "Can't activate recorder" error.  Once I plugged in some headphones into the soundcard and it went back to the normal speaker icon, it worked fine. 

• 13. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)
                              filmgeneration

IT department worked on this for three days. In the meantime I was using Moviemaker to capture. All it took was plugging in headphones. Come on Adobe.

Thanks dlewistheman, YOU ARE THE MAN.

• 14. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)
                                gus900

+1.  But I only wasted three hours of my time before finding dlewistheman's post about audio output.  Adobe - you should hang your heads in shame.

• 15. Re: Premiere won't recognize my camera (Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.)
                                  focus16

I have a similar situation as kirk_c and would be grateful for any help resolving the inability to capture in CS5.5.

The system:

Lenovo Thinkpad W520

I72720QM @ 2.2Ghz

RAM 16Gb

Win 7 64bit

Adobe Master Collection.

Camera: Panasonic AG-DVX100B

My problem:

When I got to capture using the F5 command I get a black screen but am unable to see anything on the screen. The scene detect does work and I was able to get clips off the camera into my project. I have been messing around with the settings, changing the firewire drivers, etc and find that the capture screen seems to hang up and I have to shut down premiere pro cs5.5 each time and begin again.

I have Premiere pro 1.5 also installed on this machine – voila works fine and was able to capture with seemingly no issues. Can anyone help me solve this crazy situation.

Bottom line:

Premiere pro 1.5 captures the clip off the pansaonic camcorder (dvx-100b) standard def. without a hitch.

Premiere pro cs5.5’s capture does not seem to be working as advertised!