6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2011 7:25 PM by RjL190365

Buying a laptop

kyhweslie

Hello everyone!

I am a new user with Premiere CS5.5 and I plan to buy a laptop for its portability. I am thinking of the following laptop but I have no idea if it will run Premiere reasonably well. If not, which specs should be changed? Any advice? Thank you!

Model: ASUS K43Sv29i7

CPU:  Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor 2.0Ghz
      VGA: NIVDIA GeForce GT 540 with 1 GB dedicated DDR3 VRAM
      SCREEN: 14"HD (1366x768)
      RAM&HDD: 6GB DDR3 RAM & 640GB SATA HDD (5400rpm)

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Buying a laptop
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Laptop Video Editing PC http://www.sagernotebook.com/

-or

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=118

-or another brand laptop with the following features
          -the newer sandy bridge 2720 or 2820 quad processor
          -and nvidia graphics preferably the 460m, 485m is a bit much
          -1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card
          -and 8 or 16 gig ram and Win7 64bit Pro
          -and 2 internal 7200 HDDs minimum 

>HDD (5400rpm)

Way below minimum... you need TWO 7200rpm drives

• 2. Re: Buying a laptop
            RjL190365 Level 4

That laptop will be pretty sluggish in CS5.x: Slow-clocked CPU, slow hard drive, too little RAM, slow GPU (especially VRAM). In addition, the screen might cut off part of your work area due to its below-minimum vertical resolution (Adobe requires a minimum vertical screen resolution of 900 pixels - but that laptop has only 768 pixels of vertical screen resolution). Worst of all, that laptop has no eSATA, Firewire or USB 3.0 ports whatsoever; thus, you're permanently stuck with a single hard drive for absolutely everything (USB 2.0 is of no use since that interface is much slower than today's hard drives can sustain) because that laptop supports only one non-bottlenecked hard drive - period. (Adobe requires a minimum of two fast SATA hard drives just for even minimally acceptable performance - but more fast hard drives that aren't bottlenecked by a very slow interface are better.)

In other words, that particular laptop is significantly below Adobe's minimum requirements for Premiere Pro CS-anything, especially in the maximum number of supported fast, non-bottlenecked hard drives.

Message was edited by: RjL190365

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Buying a laptop
              kyhweslie Level 1

Thank you very much John! I will scout around for another laptop!

• 4. Re: Buying a laptop
                kyhweslie Level 1

Thanks Rj for the information. I will look around for another laptop. However I was just wondering, lets say I have met all the minimum specs except for the graphic card which I am not able to get a GTX but a GT 540M (with NVIDIA Optimus technology, 3048MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM), would it still work?

• 5. Re: Buying a laptop
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Welcome to the forums.  Visit our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) and sort on laptops

Look at the ASUS G74SX and see my comments in this forum link especially the last two paragraphs.

• 6. Re: Buying a laptop
                    RjL190365 Level 4

I just looked at the PPBM5 results list again - and there is an Asus N73-series laptop with almost the same hardware as that K43-series laptop you were considering (but with an SSD as the OS drive and a secondary hard drive). That system scored a respectable (for a laptop with such a lower-speed CPU and slower hard drive) 478 seconds (with 5.0.3) in that benchmark. But since the K-series laptops are designed for portability first, expandability be screwed, expect significantly slower performance due to the lack of high-speed expandability.