7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2011 5:54 AM by DHR

InDesign interactive question...

DHR Level 1

I have encountered a problem recently with InDesign interactive that I wasn't aware of up till now. When I position objects on the screen, that have motion applied, if they are placed in the same position on another page with no motion applied, they preview out of position... i.e they look visually different. Up or down a few pixels. I've even noticed that images and items are positioned where I want them in the X and Y coordinates – then when exporting they look out of position??? This is really causing me a lot of vexation at this point as I was working on a project for months when I just noticed some of this. Why does an item that is placed exactly where I want it, appear different when exported out as a swf and previewed. Is this something I wasn't aware of with pixel preview or something??? Anyone encountered this, and is there a way around it.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: InDesign interactive question...
          DHR Level 1

Helloo... No one using InDesign to do interactive stuff?

• 2. Re: InDesign interactive question...
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I cant' help you (completely outside my workflow), but be patient. You asked on a weekend, and a holiday weekend for those of us in the US to boot.

• 3. Re: InDesign interactive question...
              Petteri_Paananen Level 4

I don´t fully understand your problem... could you attach some actual sample?

• 4. Re: InDesign interactive question...
                DHR Level 1

Basically if you create 4 objects, say squares... and turn them into buttons and position them on a page. Then apply motion to them, say fly in from right. If you take those same 4 buttons and position them on another page in the exact same position with no motion applied... when you export the 2 pages out, the page with the buttons that have motion applied is shifted 2-3 pixels up! So say you want the buttons to fly in from the right initially but on subsequent pages you want them to be fixed in their position. The buttons with motion applied after exporting are shifting or not exactly in the same position as the non - moving buttons. Needless to say that's not acceptable for presentation purposes. It's visible! Apparently I never noticed it because I was applying motion to all pages... Very disturbing as I use InDesign a lot for interactive stuff. Maybe a bug... not sure but I'd love to figure out what the problem is and or ask Adobe about it. Too bad you can't just call em' up on the phone anymore...

• 5. Re: InDesign interactive question...
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

CreateSmart wrote:

Basically if you create 4 objects, say squares... and turn them into buttons and position them on a page. Then apply motion to them, say fly in from right. If you take those same 4 buttons and position them on another page in the exact same position with no motion applied... when you export the 2 pages out, the page with the buttons that have motion applied is shifted 2-3 pixels up! So say you want the buttons to fly in from the right initially but on subsequent pages you want them to be fixed in their position. The buttons with motion applied after exporting are shifting or not exactly in the same position as the non - moving buttons. Needless to say that's not acceptable for presentation purposes. It's visible! Apparently I never noticed it because I was applying motion to all pages... Very disturbing as I use InDesign a lot for interactive stuff. Maybe a bug... not sure but I'd love to figure out what the problem is and or ask Adobe about it. Too bad you can't just call em' up on the phone anymore...

As Peter S said, it's also completely outside my workflow. However, a thought popped up: have you tried creating the objects on a master page that's applied to the particular document pages involved, then releasing (aka "override them locally") them on the page where you'll apply animation? If not, give it a try and let the forum know the results.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: InDesign interactive question...
                    KonstantinosAnt

I have been creating interactive infographics with InDesign for a while now and I have noticed the same problem. For me it happens on rectangles which do not align properly -but miss a few px- on the output.

I have been masking that with strokes, where possible, or nudged a bit or work around with the rest of the elements, but I have yet to find a solution.

Some of these can be seen in my blog, where you'd have to follow the link and click on the interactive infographic icon for the .swf to pop up.

• 7. Re: InDesign interactive question...
                      DHR Level 1

I just noticed it with this project... where the elements with motion applied are not in the exact same position as non-animated images? I've tried a bunch of different techniques to get around this, but it's huge, as the elements can be very small... and even 1 pixel being out of place is a disaster. Especially since you have to do some tricks with buttons inside of multi-states to achieve what you want.... here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.dhrcreative.com/Files/Multi1.swf

the bars on the left are buttons... the black bar that designates the selected item is in the multi-state. All the elements are aligned in exactly the same position but as you can see the position of the black bar shifts as you go up and down the items??? Very frustrating... and pretty much unusable which is even worse!

Maybe it's more of an issue with me, than the average user, but if you take the time to align items perfectly, to a grid, you don't expect it to look like you did it by eye? I'd love to hear Adobe's comment on this.