7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 6:50 AM by [Jongware]

Text Box Indesign CS4

JediTim Level 1

When I place the text box the box does not show the X as a Place Holder

• 1. Re: Text Box Indesign CS4
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why do you need the X? In any case, it only appears if you add a graphic

frame or an undefined frame to the document. If you add a text frame,

there X doesn't appear.

Ariel

• 2. Re: Text Box Indesign CS4
            JediTim Level 1

I like to see my Place Holders in the layer colors to make placing text and images in proper places like making a road map and having a concept of the final result.  A good designer puts that together before ever putting the brush to canves.

Thank you,

• 3. Re: Text Box Indesign CS4
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Tim,

In future please remove your contact information from your email responses. Everything is posted on the web.

Several thoughts. First, the frame edge should be be in the layer color, so if you can see colored Xs you should also see colored edges. I find it very useful that thr three types of frames are different in appearance -- image frames have an X, unassigned frames (or shapes) have no X, and text frames have no X, but do have in and out ports on the edge (whcih admittedly don't show unless thr frame is selected).

Second, unless you've changed it in the prefs, EVERY frame is potentially a text frame, no matter how it's drawn. Just click in it with the text tool or click inside it with a loaded place cursor, so you can draw all your frames with the regular frame tool if you want the X.

• 4. Re: Text Box Indesign CS4
                JediTim Level 1

I talked to a long time friend she said  VIEW > SHOW FRAME EDGES... Now wasn't that simple than going through the WHY question  Simple answers That's All

Thank you,

• 5. Re: Text Box Indesign CS4
                  JediTim Level 1

Thank you,

• 6. Re: Text Box Indesign CS4
                    JediTim Level 1

Thanks for the note... just responded to another with all the stuff... now you think I will be getting many email not wanted??

• 7. Re: Text Box Indesign CS4
                      [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

JediTim wrote:

I talked to a long time friend she said  VIEW > SHOW FRAME EDGES... Now wasn't that simple than going through the WHY question  Simple answers That's All

If that was the answer you were looking for, your initial question was wrong ...

That's All.