2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2013 6:32 AM by eilersc

InDesign 5 does not generate TOC.  Any help from competent users, please?

GloriaMo

Got InDesign 5 demo to learn it, but when tried to make a Book got  serious problems with creating TOC by following the instructions in Help.

The situation is - when  I set TOC by the manual and click  on the page, just a blank text box appears displaying only the title I gave to  TOC ( “THE  Book contents”) but nothing else!
      I could make  TOC by hand but want to learn how to make InDesign to do this.

The book consist  of 3 chapters, TOC page and Index page properly saved as .indd documents entered in a “My new book” document I’ve created.

They are properly ordered and  checked and are seen in this order:
      - TOC page
      -Ch 01
      -Ch 02
      -Ch 03
      -Index page

TOC page and Index page are the same dimensions as Chapter pages, in  TOC page the page numbering is removed from its Master because I need TOC to be just 1 page.
      The page numbering starts at Ch 01 on the right page. From Ch 01 to end of Ch 03 are 50 pages of text and all are  properly numbered from 1 to 50 exactly as expected.

Here are some details about my attempt in settings of TOC following the Help manual:

I opened Table of content window  where made these settings:
      -TOC style is created and selected as per instructions in Help manual
      -  set title: “THE  Book contents”
      - Styles in Table of content box: entered 2 styles named respectively “Text Body” and “Plain Body”-they are practically identical.

In box Style:  entered “Text Body”-also tried   with “Plain Body”  - no success.
      In  “Page number” entered "after entry".

Between entry  to number left default -a single tab, style - tried with “none” and “Text Body” - no success.
      Option “Sort entries in alphabetical order” - either unchecked or checked- no success.
      Option “levels” - tried at different settings-2 −4-5 no success.
      Option “include book documents” - checked or unchecked produces nothing.
      Option “Numbered paragraphs”   set to “Include numbers only” and tried other options but no success.
      (actually I don’t really understand how this option  works…)

Now when I hit OK, can see bar moving and displaying  Ch1,Ch2,Ch3 and Index which indicates InDesign does something but the result is not good - just this blank text box with only name “THE  Book contents” which I’ve entered but nothing else.

Can someone with good understanding of InDesign 5, please, direct thru exact steps I have to do and  get real TOC?
      Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: InDesign 5 does not generate TOC.  Any help from competent users, please?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The TOC works by picking up text from the document that uses the paragraph styles you include. You mention two styles, but it isn't clear to me if these are paragraph styles to include, or styles to apply to the TOC listings -- these are different tasks.

It seems unlikely that you would be including any sort of body text styles in the TOC to be picked up as listings. More likely you will have some sort of headings with their own paragraph styles that you want to include. So the first thing is to make sure that those things that should appear have a style assigned, and that that style is not used for anything that you DON'T want to appear in the TOC. The next step is to make sure you include that paragraph style, or styles if you've got subheadings, for example, that you also want to include, in the box on the left side. Select the styles from the list in the right-hand box and click the "Add" button between the two boxes to include them in the TOC.

TOC Setup.png

It is also important (essential, in fact) that the TOC be its own story, not threaded into other text. If you try to thread it, it will replace your other text and you'll get nothing but the TOC title. I don't think, from your description, that you tried to put the TOC into an exisiting story, but it's worth the warning.

• 2. Re: InDesign 5 does not generate TOC.  Any help from competent users, please?
            eilersc

If your TOC comes back empty, make sure that the "Include Book documents" is checked.