12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2011 7:14 AM by Eugene Tyson

Switching to Indesign Q's?

Freellustrator

As a user of Freehand since the first release, I am about to bite the bullet and give CS5.5 and especially Indesign a go on a 48 page equipment catalogue I have to produce. Hence I have a few question I need to ask ask!

I do this every year and can basically produce the complete document layout in 1 saved file and considering the amount of images etc, the program is never sluggish or feels bloated. All my images are linked in as eps files, which makes my layout file small and zippy?

Now with indesign, a decent layered .psd file will be huge (mb), and as you are using layered .psd images from Photoshop, does this not slow ID up as it has to deal with all those extra layers, effects etc?

If i had a layered .psd file of images that I used all over the Indesign layout, does Indesign see each different layer image I use as a seperate .psd link or does it only use the master .psd layer file?

What is the best type of image format to place in ID? .jpg, .psd, .tif, .eps?

Is ID a raster, Vector or a hybrid program?

Hope to hear any answers or explanations.

• 1. Re: Switching to Indesign Q's?
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Now with indesign, a decent layered .psd file will be huge (mb), and as you are using layered .psd images from Photoshop, does this not slow ID up as it has to deal with all those extra layers, effects etc?

Not at all, PSD files are better than using EPS files.

If your PSD file contains vectors, such as text layers, vector shapes and/or vector masks then save as a Photoshop PDF with pdf editing capabilities.

I tend to stay away from Phtosohop EPS files for the simple reason that opening an EPS file can rasterise and flatten the entire file when reopened for editing.

Absolutely, if it's just PURE RASTER image then I would use PSD or TIFF. If it has any vectors in it then I save as a PDF with photoshop editing capabilities.

If i had a layered .psd file of images that I used all over the Indesign layout, does Indesign see each different layer image I use as a seperate .psd link or does it only use the master .psd layer file?

It will place the entire PSD layer. But you can contrl the layer visibility

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/InDesign/6.0/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6bbea.html

What is the best type of image format to place in ID? .jpg, .psd, .tif, .eps?

I often place RGB images that come as JPG from stock image websites. I see absoltuely no advantage of resaving that JPG as a TIFF, PSD or any other format.

RGB has a wider colour gamut than CMYK - so I see no advantage of changing to the CMYK gamut I'll be printing at before placing in InDesign, it would seem to pigeon-hole the use of that file.

However, there are certain circumstances where you need to edit the JPG - so I would never save an image as JPG after making edits to it.

PSD and TIFF are just fine for purely raster Images.

EPS - I tend to stay away from in favour of PDF. I find the PDF more flexible for editing. It's noted in the Photoshop help files that EPS files are flattened and rasterised when reopened in Photoshop, whereas PDFs are not, so it's better for editing and things like that

Is ID a raster, Vector or a hybrid program?

InDesign can handle both vector and raster. It's exactly what it was designed to do. Take illustrations from Illustrator, Photos from Photoshop and combine them in a Page layout for print or web.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Switching to Indesign Q's?

There is a very handy PDF available from Adobe on a lot of these questions

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/cs3/articles/cs3_printguide.html

Sorry I can't find the CS4 or CS5 one?

But the answer would be the same.

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Switching to Indesign Q's?
              Freellustrator Level 1

It will place the entire PSD layer. But you can contrl the layer visibility.

I understand what you are saying, but, say your psd file has 5 layers and is 100mb, then is ID reading a 100mb file (x 5) for 5 different instances on your layout if you choose to use layer visibility for all 5 layers when placing the individual layered images.

i.e.  Using 1 PSD file with 5 layers, place the 5 layered images on a page, controlling the layer visibility.

Does ID link only 1 psd file or 5?

• 6. Re: Switching to Indesign Q's?
                Freellustrator Level 1

Thanks for that!

• 7. Re: Switching to Indesign Q's?

I don't know I've never tested it.I'm just not sure. I'd like to know too actually, just never thought about it.

In my experience though, PSD file with layers seems to work better for me than EPS files.

There's a good article here http://indesignsecrets.com/tiff-vs-psd-vs-eps-vs-pdf-vs.php

and LOTS of comments too.

• 8. Re: Switching to Indesign Q's?
                    Freellustrator Level 1

As I am a Freehand user, I am just used to using .eps's as the do not get rasterd when placing, they are just a representation of the hi res file on your HD.

So for a page with 5 images, I would have 5 individual .eps/jpg/tiff files but never a psd file as Freehand did not support .psd files with layers and such for placing images. This however had a good side effect which never made the document file bloated with huge external links.

Your link however has a lot of good information, thanks!

• 9. Re: Switching to Indesign Q's?

Definitely placing the file in InDesign, it only uses a proxy image to display the image in InDesign, whcih you can control the quality of the proxy image in the View>Display Performance

If you are finding that placing huge files, like layered PSD files, then  you may have to flatten that PSD file.

But honestly, in 6 years of using INDEsign, I've never had to do that. I use placed PSD files with lots of layers, huge file sizes and plenty of pages.

Never had an issue.

However, I have noticed that I do get some people sending me InDesign files with EPS files from photoshop. And I notice a huge drag on InDesign. And I often resave the EPS fiel to TIFF and use the TIFF instead, and indesign becomes a lot more responsive.

• 10. Re: Switching to Indesign Q's?
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When placing the layered file, ID Links to the entire file, but the size of the ID file changes only based on the image preview, not the number of layers or type of file that is linked. Links are pointers to the address where the actual file is stored, so format is irrelevant, and the only "real" data is the preview. When you adjust the image layer visibility ID regenerates a new preview. If you have multiple instances of the same file with different layers showing you would have multiple previews embedded.

• 11. Re: Switching to Indesign Q's?
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

May I make a couple "newbie" suggestions?

You should invest in Sandee Cohen's Visual Quick Start Guide: http://amzn.to/oqJC9I

Best $18 you'll ever spend learning InDesign.

Lynda.com is a great service if you're into video training. This link will get you a free seven day trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

And of course, this forum is one you should have bookmarked.

Bob

• 12. Re: Switching to Indesign Q's?

There are also Freehand to InDesign migration tips out there

http://creativetechs.com/tipsblog/freehand-to-illustrator-migration-guide/