29 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 8:38 PM by dontasemebro

What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?

donttasemebro

Hey there, I'm a Premiere Pro noob and I'm trying to assemble my first editing PC.  I'm completely new to all of this, so I've just been doing some research and I have come up with this list.  I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of changes I could make, or maybe there are things that I'm missing that I should consider.  I assume one of the first things I'll hear is the the hard drives are too small - 3 x 320GB.  I'm mostly concerned with keeping the cost down.  I was hoping to set up my PC for 1500, so I'm spending that little bit more already.  I don't want to overclock and I'll be mostly editing AVCHD, so there's no need for RAID afaik.  Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

IWANT.PNG

• 1. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No remarks about the disks, as you expected, but about the case, the PSU and the memory.

Get a big tower for better cooling, easier installation and better cable management. Get a heftier gold label PSU, probably around 750-850 W and double your memory to 16 GB.

Read some of the suggestions that are available under the overview tab at the top of the page.

• 2. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
            donttasemebro Level 1

Thanks, I should have pasted a clearer image of my list.  I was thinking of getting 4 x 4GB sticks.  As far as I know, the tower I have on the list is pretty big - apparently 21.5" x 8.1" x 19.7".  As far as the PSU is concerned - is Corsair a decent brand? 

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

• 3. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files

Your data drive really needs to be larger than 320Gig

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

I am happy with my Corsair PS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

• 4. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, I do have some concerns about the hard disks:

The Scorpio Blacks are notebook hard drives, not desktop hard drives. They are slower in sequential transfers than most desktop hard drives on the market. Plus, the 320GB Scorpio costs triple the price (on a per-GB basis) than the 1TB 3.5" desktop drives that outperform the Scorpio drives by nearly double. And even in (R)aid0, two 320GB Scorpio Blacks combined are still slower than one single 500GB or larger 3.5" desktop hard drive. These are due to the fact that 2.5" platters could never achieve the same high sequential transfer speeds as their 3.5" brethren, especially on the outer tracks. Plus, the notebook hard drives often have a significantly slower access speed (in milliseconds) than their larger desktop brethren.

As for the i7-2600 itself, you could have gone with the K model for about $15 more since the non-K version has what's called a "limited unlocked" multiplier that limits overclocking to only 3.9GHz with all four cores in use. (The Sandy Bridge core is capable of sustaining clock speeds of 4.5GHz and beyond with the appropriate aftermarket CPU air cooler such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.)

And I agree with Harm about the PSU: 550W is not enough for an i7 and a GTX 570, especially if the CPU is overclocked.

Message was edited by: RjL190365

• 5. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                  Zoop studio Level 1

Let me tell you what I ordered this week (because your in the same $1500,- range like I do)

Case; Fractal design defineR3 (nice ''NO game/ledspinning- minimalistic design) , 8 internal HD sleeves and very good isolation: quiet! € 86,-

Coolermaster GX 750 psu (o.k.harm should be 850... budget!) € 80,-

Kingston 16GB 1600mhz memorykit € 94,-

Gigabyte Geforce gts450 oc2 (almost as good as the heavier/ expencive cards) 2 fans cooling €109,-

3x Samsung HD502hj  500gb disks 1 for OS/Prepro/AE, 2x in raid 0 for preview etc PrePro/AfterEffects €109,-

Hitachi 7K3000 2TB disk for footage/capture €91,-

Intel 2600K €250,-

Scythe mugen 2 rev.b cpu cooler € 37,-

Asus P8Z68 V Pro  for very easy overclocking (1 button: 40% faster cpu, very useful for your AVHDC files encoding) more sata for more disks € 156,-

Windows 7 OEM prof € 115,-

Lg GH24ns70  DVD/rom writer €18,-

Tot € 1150,-  or +/- $ 1380,-

If Harm, Bill or any one have any remarks.. please.. (I can make changes till mondaynight)

• 6. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                    dontasemebro

Ok, I have now revised my list.  Looks like my budget is a bit higher than I had originally anticipated - I'm living in Japan, so the total is actually in Yen and then exchanged.

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8Z68-V

PROCESSOR: Intel i7 2600k

RAM: 2 x 8GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz

HDD: 1 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm 64MB SATA 6.0Gbps  

2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200rpm 64MB SATA 6.0Gbps

VIDEO CARD: ASUS GTX 550 Ti PSU: Corsair HX ATX 850W

CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Mid tower

MONITOR: Dell U2311H

EXTRA: Random mouse, keyboard and DVD-writer

Grand Total: ¥ 150,000 / €1,420 / $2000

• 7. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                      Zoop studio Level 1

Great choice!

Maybe consider a V PRO mobo instead of the V: you'll have more sata connections for more harddisks so if you're gonna upgrade for more HD's in raid

The price is only $ 20,- higher.

• 8. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                        dontasemebro Level 1

Thanks, your gave me the idea for the motherboard.  Believe it or not the PRO costs like $80 more on Amazon.jp.  I probably won't be switching to RAID anytime soon though so I'm pretty sure I won't need it.

I also didn't add any fans, because the case has them built in.  Is a "mid tower" big enough for all that? 

• 9. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                          Zoop studio Level 1

That's odd, i'm having a price difference of € 17,90 between (in Holland) V and V pro, so don't buy at Amazon.(i'm sure you want to upgrade in the future, the rest of your new computer is asking for it: for example 2 little HD's in raid 0 for fast previewing)

The asus mobo has great control for your fans ( 4 controls) so you just watch in the Asus bios software your temperture's and slow down or speed up your fans

or add more fans to your system.

The Asus software can do this automaticly (except adding new fans  ha ha)

• 10. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                            dontasemebro Level 1

To be honest, I find all this discussion about RAID mega confusing.  I'm a total beginner with all this so I'm trying to bluff my way to a decent set up.  If the RAID thing is such a no-brainer, I guess I should get another two HDDs, but what type - what are they for?  What is RAID?!  I've been trying to find out but terms like "striping" and "no fault tolerance" lose me completely.  I read that RAID isn't really worth it if you're just working with AVCHD, which is what I'll be doing.

As for the Asus mobo - that's perfect.  The case has 4 fans.

• 11. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Adobe Forums: To RAID or not to RAID, that is the...

If you have a look at the PPBM5 Benchmark you will see that all the Top-20 systems are overclocked and have raid configurations. People telling you that the bitrate of AVCHD is not more than DV of HDV are correct in that statement, but also forget the large temporary storage requirements that such a heavily compressed codec entails.

General rule: The more complex the codec, the more you need raid solutions. See Adobe Forums: System requirements for CS5

• 12. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                Zoop studio Level 1

See the picture in Harm's disk guide.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972

Now al the big guys over here will go the multi K $ set up with 10+ disks with a Areca 1880 raid controller but I think, because your under 2K$ and work

with AVCHD you can have a faster workflow by just adding 2 Samsung F3 500 GB disks (about $45,- each) in RAID 0 (that doubles the speed) and in Premiere Pro settings, put your preview in this raid.

You can make this RAID 0 config., again, very simple in the Asus mobo software.

1 small disk voor Windows 7 and Adobe prog's

1 large disks (Hitachi 7k3000 series) voor your videofiles

2 small disks in Raid 0 for preview http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2tb-hdd-7200,2430-2.html

No  green or eco disks, just 7200 rpm or faster.

• 13. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                  dontasemebro Level 1

Awesome, thanks so much for the advice guys, it has been very helpful - and that RAID explanation is neat.  I'm going to change my 1TB HDD to a 2TB HDD and add another 500GB HDD.  The Western Digital Black Caviar disks appear to be the best deal here in Japan as they seem to have a stellar reputation, so I'll stick with them I guess.  I'm also going to add a UPC if I can find one that's reasonably priced - unfortunately they're horrendously expensive here.  A CyberPower CR1200 (1200VA/720W) is Y23,280 / $300 

• 14. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                    dontasemebro Level 1

Actually scrap that, apparently the WD blacks can't really be used for RAID as they "do not have TLER so any bad sectors arising from BER (Bit Error Rate) would cause that disk to be disconnected/dropped from the array."

I'll keep the 1TB WD, 1 x 500GB WD and then add 2 RAID 0 compatible hard drives.  Though I have another question.  The WD Blacks are SATA 3.0 (6GB/s) and the motherboard has two SATA 3.0 storage slots (and 4 SATA 2.0 slots).  Is there any advantage to having 2 SATA 3.0 HDDs and if so, should the 3.0s be the RAID 0 drives, or the other drives?

• 15. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                      RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, the WD Blacks can be used in a RAID 0 or a RAID 1. Only the "parity" RAID levels, such as RAID 3, RAID 5 or RAID 6, are problematic with drives that have their TLER (or ERC or CCTL) permanently disabled in firmware.

• 16. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                        dontasemebro Level 1

Oh ok cool, so would it make sense to use the 2 SATA 3.0 (6GB/s) slots for the RAID drives and the SATA 2.0 (3GB/s) for the 2 non-raid drives?

• 17. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                          Zoop studio Level 1

The sata 2 or sata 3 does not effect the performence of your disks: a sata 2 is always faster then a harddisk, and so is a sata 3.

So, let's say your very fast hd does a 150mb/ sec read, it's always slower then the sata 2 or 3  where you connect it to, in raid 0 it's 2x disks connected on 2 sata connections.

• 18. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                            dontasemebro Level 1

:/ I'm sort of confused.  So basically, there's no need to use SATA 3.0 at all?  The Caviar Blacks I have listed are all 3.0, will they work ok with a SATA 2.0 slot on the motherboard?

• 19. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                              RjL190365 Level 4

What Luc was trying to state is that the physical transfer speed of the mechanically spinning drive is the limiting factor when it comes to drive performance in a modern system. That means that the SATA II (3.0 Gbps) interface will not bottleneck current SATA III (6.0 Gbps) hard drives. However, many motherboards require that the primary SATA port (on LGA 1155 systems, this means the first SATA III port) be used in order to work properly unless a third-party SATA or SAS controller is used.

• 20. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                                dontasemebro Level 1

Ah ok great, so the mobo has SATA 3.0 (6Gbps) x2 / SATA 2.0 (3Gbps) x4 / eSATA 3Gbps x1

If all my 4 HDDs are 6Gbps, then which HDDs should go in the 2 SATA 6Gbps slots and which should go in 2 of the 3Gbps slots?  I assume C would be the primary right?

C (500GB): OS, programs

D (2 TB): Media, Projects

E (500GB RAID 0): Pagefile, Media Cache

F (500GB RAID 0): Previews, Exports

Is there any chance you guys know anything about IPS monitors?  Dell Japan have a U2311H for $220, but there's also a new model - a U2312HM, for $285.  Afaik the only difference is that the latter model has a white LED backlight.  Any idea if it's worth the extra $65?

• 21. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                                  relwarcrepus Level 1

dontasemebro wrote:

To be honest, I find all this discussion about RAID mega confusing.  ... I guess I should get another two HDDs, but ... - what are they for?  What is RAID?!

All About RAID

RAID

• 22. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                                    dontasemebro Level 1

Cheers, I understand RAID now.  I'll be using Raid 0 on two drives to speed up editing and I'll have my 2TB drive for raw and completed footage.  I'll buy a 1TB USB 3.0 External hard drive for back ups from the 2TB drive.  Does that all make sense?

• 23. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                                      relwarcrepus Level 1

I take it you understand that if you have two disks in RAID 0, then performance wise your two-disk RAID 0 will be almost twice as fast as a single disk,

and that though you will have two physical disks in RAID 0, your Operating System will see those two disks as ONE disk, so if you are going to have two 500GB disks in RAID 0, your OS is going to see it as one 1TB disk,

so though you wrote,

E (500GB RAID 0): Pagefile, Media Cache,
                                                      F (500GB RAID 0): Previews, Exports,

it will not be possible to put Pagefile and Media Cache on one disk and Previews and Exports on the other disk, but instead the data of Pagefile, Media Cache, Previews and Exports will be broken up into chunks spread across the two disks and the OS will see it as this:

E: 1TB: Pagefile, Media Cache, Previews, Exports,

and that because the data will thus be divided between your two 500GB physical disks (STRIPED), acting as ONE disk, RAID 0 will offer NO security in case of hard drive failure, because if one of those two disks fail, ALL of your data on those two disks will be lost.

So, yes, your backup plan sounds good, especially for backing up your projects files.

At the following link is a good explanation of RAID for whoever wants to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_rchCjcYu8

• 24. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                                        dontasemebro Level 1

Ah yes I understand, I wrote that sort of absent-mindedly because I was looking at this picture:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-2906955-31395/Guideline+Disks.jpg

But yeah I understand, finally! So I'm happy with that hard drive set up.  My remaining question is, if If all my 4 HDDs are 6Gbps (3 x 500GB & 1 x 2TB), then which HDDs should go to the 2 SATA 6Gbps slots and which should go to 2 of the 4 3Gbps slots on the motherboard?  Or does it matter at all?

If anyone knows about monitors, it would be great if you could can advise me on whether I should get the Dell U2311H, or pay $65 extra for a model including a white LED backlight (U2312MH). 

• 25. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                                          relwarcrepus Level 1

dontasemebro wrote:

My remaining question is, if If all my 4 HDDs are 6Gbps (3 x 500GB & 1 x 2TB), then which HDDs should go to the 2 SATA 6Gbps slots and which should go to 2 of the 4 3Gbps slots on the motherboard?  Or does it matter at all?

If anyone knows about monitors, it would be great if you could can advise me on whether I should get the Dell U2311H, or pay $65 extra for a model including a white LED backlight (U2312MH). 

I don't know the answers to these questions, let's hope someone can answer you here on this, because I'm also curious to know.

• 26. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                                            Zoop studio Level 1

To avoid controller problems check your mobo specs, so if your mobo has 4 sata II connections with Intel controller, 2 sata III with Intel and 2 sata III controllers with Marvell controller, Connect your Windows7 disk to a Marvell, Your Videofootage files on Raid 10 (4 large discs) on the sata II Intel and preview  Raid 0 on sata III Intel controller  (If Export ot Back up disk on Marvell control,  etc..)

I'm only ''parroting'' my PC builders knowledge.. I'm not that smart.

Monitor: No TN but IPS or MVA type of screen, For example: Iiyama E2472HD = OK, Iiyama E2473HDS = NOT

• 27. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                                              dontasemebro Level 1

Ok great - well, I've just managed to source a V-PRO mobo, meaning that there are 4 SATA III slots.  That solves my dilemma right? All I want is 4 6Gb/s hard drives, with 2 for RAID 0, so I can put them all in the SATA III slots eh?

As for the monitor, I'll stick with the Dell U2311H so, it's only Y17,000 / $220 /  €156 so I can't go wrong!  I think that's everything.

Ah yes, one more question - regarding the PSU, would 750W be sufficient, or should I stick with the 850W?  The UPS I'll be getting is a CyberPower 1200VA / 720W - it's really expensive here in Japan, so that's as high spec as I can go.  I wouldn't be able to get away with a 500W model would I?  

• 28. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                                                Zoop studio Level 1

1 Yes

2 great if not an TN but a IPS or M-VA screen

3 I would not dare to go under 750watt (Cooler master GX750 is a 85+% certified and cheap, well reviewed PSU)

I can't help you with UPS mathers They say it has to max out your PSU wattage by far.($$$)

• 29. Re: What's a decent set up for a Premiere Pro, CS5 noob?
                                                                  dontasemebro Level 1

Yup, the U2311H is an IPS monitor so I'm happy with that.  I'll get a 750W PSU and scrap the UPS for the time being.  I don't want my hard drives getting corrupted in the event of a power cut, but I'll take my chances and back up the important files from the 2TB drive with my external hard drive.  Saves me a lot of $$$.  If any HDDs corrupt, I can always replace them and reinstall software.  Well, it looks like I'm all done, finally.  Thanks for the help everyone!

Here's my final set up, for those of you who are interested:

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO

PROCESSOR: Intel i7 2600k

RAM: 2 x 8GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz

HDD: 1 x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200rpm 64MB SATA 6.0Gbps         

3 x Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200rpm 64MB SATA 6.0Gbps (2 for RAID 0)

1 x Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1TB External Hard Drive (Backup)

VIDEO CARD: ASUS GTX 550 Ti

PSU: Corsair HX ATX 750W

CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Mid tower

MONITOR: Dell U2311H

OS: Windows Professional 64 bit

EXTRA: Mouse, keyboard and DVD-writer

Approximate cost (max): Y150000 / €1380 / $1940