10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2011 2:59 PM by Jim_Simon

What is the best configuration

gordon1@q.com

I have an ASUS P6 with 12 GiG ram, also I am using a Raid Controller Card with battery backup, using 4 each 2TB 7200 rpm as raid 10 for my operating system Win 7 64bit ultimate, and also Drive D  Raid 5 using 4 each 2TB 7200 rpm for my storage

I am using Adobe Master Colection CS5.5  also using a nVidia 470 video card

My question is should I create a scratch Disk if so where on Drive C or Drive D  and should I use Drive C or Drive D for my (File.prproj)  to operate in

Thank you for any help

• 1. Re: What is the best configuration
          RjL190365 Level 4

First off, you went way overboard on the C: drive. There is absolutely no need right now for even one 2TB hard drive, let alone 8TB worth of drives configured as a single 4TB volume, as the OS/programs drive. You could have done pretty well with just one single 300GB to 1TB hard drive (no RAID necessary) for the OS and programs.

As for the pagefile and project files, since you already have a hardware RAID controller, put them on D:.

• 2. Re: What is the best configuration
            gordon1@q.com Level 1

I thougth that if I use a Raid 10 confiiguration for my OS that I would be stripping, and if I put the (File.prproj) using Drive C that also would be stripping is that not so?

Thank you for any help

• 3. Re: What is the best configuration
              RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, RAID 10 is both mirroring and striping. As configured, you have a total of 8TB worth of drives configured to use 4TB (the remaining 4TB is just a mirror of the first 4TB). That setup only gives you the performance "advantage" of a two-disk RAID 0 but at the cost of four hard disks required for the mirroring. As configured, the OS and all of the programs you have installed combined are currently using less than 2 percent of the total usable disk space. But while that helps performance (however slightly), you're also leaving nearly the entire drive volume empty (and thus totally wasted). A typical system with the OS, pagefile and all of the Adobe Creative Suite CS5.x programs combined uses less than 100GB worth of hard disk space.

Besides, I do not recommend striping at all on the OS drive: Striping only helps sequential transfers. Unfortunately, striping also significantly increases the latency (or slows down access speed), making some programs perform slower than if they were run on just a single hard drive. Striping is fine on a temporary data storage drive - but not on an OS drive.

My disk setup recommendation, therefore, would be to break up the C: array in favor of a simple two-disk RAID 1 for the OS/programs drive, and either add the remaining two hard disks extracted from the RAID 10 to your RAID 5 or configure the two disks as separate single-disk volumes.

Message was edited by: RjL190365

• 4. Re: What is the best configuration
                gordon1@q.com Level 1

OK then I should use the Raid Controller Card using all 8 TB drive configured as a raid 5 or 6 just for backup and put the operationg system on the mother board using just one 7200 rpm drive, but I thougth that the best configuration was to use stripping

• 5. Re: What is the best configuration
                  RjL190365 Level 4

As I tried to state above, striping only helps large data transfers. It does absolutely nothing at all whatsoever to improve the OS or programs performance.

• 6. Re: What is the best configuration
                    gordon1@q.com Level 1

OK thank you, I will put my hard drives as you suggest.

is there a program that I might use to test my setup

• 7. Re: What is the best configuration
                      Jim_Simon Level 9

Here's what I'd do.

Buy a new, smaller hard drive for C:.  320GB is plenty.  Reinstall Windows and Programs here.

D:  2 of the 2TB drives in a RAID 1 for Projects/Scratch.

E:  3 of the 2TB drives in a RAID 5 for Media (RAID 3 is better if your card supports it).

F:  1 of the 2TB drives for Exports.

G:  2 of the 2TB drives in a RAID 1 for Images (created in Encore as Masters of your projects).

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: What is the best configuration
                        gordon1@q.com Level 1

OK thank you I will try all of your suggestion not quite sure what raid 3 is but I will check

do you know of any program that I might use to test all of this out for the best speed?

• 9. Re: What is the best configuration
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere Pro Benchmark (PPBM5) has a disk intensive (Disk I/O) test.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: What is the best configuration
                            Jim_Simon Level 9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

Simply put, RAID 3 is similar to RAID 5, but performs better with a small number of large files (i.e. - video), whereas RAID 5 performs better with a large number of small files (i.e. - Internet server).