4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2011 12:57 PM by the_wine_snob

I Know I am in the Wrong Room, but I Need Some Help with an Mpeg 2 File

Jazzooo

Hi, all--

Forgive me as best you can--I am in a fairly desperate situation. Allow me to explain, and please feel free to contact me at jazzooo@aol.com if you know a lot about this stuff I'm going to describe.

We have a project, 29 minutes long. It is a slideshow of paintings with original music by me.

I live in central Mexico (love it!). However, I was forced to use a video editor who has been a dunce so far. No matter what I ask him for, whether it is a version in a specific format or an edit, I get something different. Every time he has fixed a problem, he has created a new one.

Now his house was broken into and all of his computers were stolen--I suspect he only has low quality backup files of the project.

We are in a huge rush, because this is supposed to debut at an arts festival in October, and we need to duplicate a few hundred DVDs first...and now the problem:

ALL WE HAVE FROM HIM IS AN MPEG2 of the project. The sound won't play on my Mac, but it plays on my friend's PC, so I have to assume that a pro duplication house won't have a problem with the sound if I send him the file on a thumb drive.

THE PROBLEM WITH THE MPEG2 is that it is jittery when key images slide across the screen. This will look terrible on a 6 x 10' screen at the premiere, plus we do not want to sell DVDs with this unprofessional look.  I asked the editor for an M2V file (requested by the guy who was going to create a menu) and he instead gave me an Mpeg2 that is jittery.

QUESTION: is there such a program that can take an mpeg 2 and eliminate jitter? I do NOT think I can get another file from the editor.

CAN ANY OF YOU DO THE WORK IF I SEND YOU THE FILE? I WILL PAY.

Thanks.

Doug

• 1. Re: I Know I am in the Wrong Room, but I Need Some Help with an Mpeg 2 File
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

Sorry for the issues with this Project.

First, where are you playing the MPEG-2, that you see that jitter?

The reason that I ask is that, though a standard, there is some processing involved in playing MPEG-2. Things like the actual software player used, the speed of one's HDD, and, to a lesser extent, the CPU on the playing computer, can show similar issues. This is not a Mac vs PC thing, but instead the power of the computer.

Another thing that can cause jitter in an MPEG-2 is the Bit-Rate - higher the Bit-Rate, the better the quality, but the larger the file. For a DVD, one is limited by the total Bit-Rate (both Audio & Video), but with longer prodcutions, some users choose too low a Bit-Rate. If this is the issue, one would need to go back to the original Project and do a new Export/Share.

Field Order issues can cause defects in the image, but those are most often referred to as 'shearing," or "tearing," or "jaggies." Again, the fix there would be to Export/Share with the proper Field Order.

Good luck, and let us know just a bit more, please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: I Know I am in the Wrong Room, but I Need Some Help with an Mpeg 2 File
            Jazzooo Level 1

First of all, Hunt--thanks for responding!

"First, where are you playing the MPEG-2, that you see that jitter?"

On both a MacBook Pro, an Acer laptop and my Mac Tower. I would love to think that it is a problem with the playback system, and that if I merely send the file off to the duplicator they won't have the same problem. Maybe that is the case...I don't know if I have a choice rather than sending it off to see. But it happens in the same spots, in the same way, on all three of the players so I'm a little reluctant to have faith.

"Another thing that can cause jitter in an MPEG-2 is the Bit-Rate - higher the Bit-Rate, the better the quality, but the larger the file. For a DVD, one is limited by the total Bit-Rate (both Audio & Video), but with longer prodcutions, some users choose too low a Bit-Rate. If this is the issue, one would need to go back to the original Project and do a new Export/Share."

Of course, but in the case there is no more 'original project.' It is gone like the wind, stolen along with his computer and backups.

I think I am stuck using one of two files as my master: a DVD he burned where I only see the stutter/vibration/jitter once, or the mpeg2 file where I see it three times. Hopefully, the duplication house can rip if off of one of them and not see the jitter. I know that in audio, my personal filed, you can do a lot to enhance already existing sound--EQ, compression, tape saturation emulation software, etc. I guess I'm hoping there is some kind of analog to the video world that address jitter after a source has been printed--if indeed the source has been printed to be jittery.

Thanks,

Doug

• 3. Re: I Know I am in the Wrong Room, but I Need Some Help with an Mpeg 2 File
              the_wine_snob Level 9

But it happens in the same spots, in the same way, on all three of the players so I'm a little reluctant to have faith.

No, three systems, with the same result, pretty much negates the issue being relegated to a playback issue. Now, one little test, just to verify, would be to use a different player, on one of those machines. For instance, if you are ONLY test playing in QT Player, maybe try another. You should be able to download and install either VLC Player, or MediaPlayer Classic HC, both free, on the Acer. If you see the same issue - that pretty much clinches it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: I Know I am in the Wrong Room, but I Need Some Help with an Mpeg 2 File
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As for improving the Video, yes, much can be done with color, density, etc., but with something like this, there are fewer Effects that can correct things.

If that MPEG-2 is 100% DVD-compliant, the authoring shop should not have to re-Transcode it, so any additional compression should not be needed, or introduced. The closer that you can stay to that MPEG-2, the better things will be.

Hope that when authored, prior to replication, things will look better, or that the audience will never notice.

Good luck,

Hunt