11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 3:50 AM by Eugene Tyson

CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?

LantauMan

InDesign CS5.5, running in WinXP. I don't see Mini Bridge on the Window menu, and when I shift-click on the Bridge icon, it opens regular Bridge. When I click the link near the bottom which says "Reveal in Mini Bridge", I get an error message: "Unable to reveal this document". Yes, I have Bridge open already in the background. Same error no matter what document I have open.

Has Mini Bridge been discontinued in CS5.5?

• 1. Re: CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Perhaps you are using a workspace in which the menu item is hidden. Do you see a "show all menu items" command at the bottom of the Window menu?

• 2. Re: CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like corrupt preferences to me. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

• 3. Re: CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?
              LantauMan Level 1

Didn't solve the problem. InDesign seems to be working just fine in every respect. But here's a clue. When I try to use MiniBridge in Photoshop, I get the error: "Mini Bridge could not be launched because the Mini Bridge extension is not installed."

I have looked for solutions to this (yes, there is a thread in the PS forum), but nothing points to a way I can fix this. Is it because I'm using 32-bit XP? I don't get it. Any suggestions how to install the MiniBridge extension for InDesign and Photoshop?

• 4. Re: CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?

Perhaps Bridge is a bad install.

Try holding down the keys you used to Reset inDesign preferences, except do this when Launching Bridge.

See if you can reinstall Bridge.

• 5. Re: CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Check the extension manager and see if mini bridge is listed. Is this a suite installation or a standalone? I'm not sure what the status of Bridge and Mini Bridge integaration is with standalones.

I've had trouble with mini bridge myself in XP, but not what you describe. In my case MB would open, but then forever say "browsing" or waiting for bridge or some such. Dleting some prefs files fixed that (don't remember off the top of my head, bu they are the prefs for all the extension panels, and you have to do it manually -- Harbs told me where they were), but not appearing in the menu sounds different, like it either is not installed at all, or is turned off in Extensions Manager.

• 6. Re: CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?

Bridge works fine, as does Minibridge, on standalone.

• 7. Re: CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?
                      LantauMan Level 1

Wow, thanks for all the responses. But nothing works. I absolutely give up. Adobe products are great, but ever since the advent of the Creative Suites, I have always had problems. In CS4, none of the products would update, period. Every update would fail and roll back (including manually downloaded ones). I finally stopped wasting my time, and decided to live with the fact that CS4 was seriously flawed. I was actually an official beta tester for one of their products last year and realized first-hand that products are often rushed to market, knowing that certain bugs exist, only because they have time constraints, and a seemingly minor bug like the one I'm experiencing can feasibly cause major delays in trying to fix. I sympathize with the engineers, and it taught me a lesson to never expect a solution in certain cases, because the engineers are not given rein to fix them.

Now after countless hours of trying to get MiniBridge to work and CSLive services to work, and noticing numerous forum posts with people experiencing similar problems (with no solutions), I'm ready to throw in the towel, say "f--- it!" and accept the fact that I'll never be able to use MiniBridge, Kuler (no big loss) or CS Live services (also no big loss).

• 8. Re: CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?
                        LantauMan Level 1

Oh, and to Peter: MiniBridge is not listed in Extension Manager. Is it listed in yours? I've searched for a MiniBridge extension to install and find none.

• 9. Re: CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?

You're experiencing something that's frustrating. But I can say that it's not Adobe's fault. It has to be something on your system. I've never had an issue updating any Adobe software, across suites, or standalone products.

Minibridge works for me in InDesign, and for everyone else I work with. And it works on my home computers.

There is something within your computer system causing these issues.

If I was you I'd start from scratch. Backup your files of importance. Reset your computer to factory settings and reload the softwares you need.

sorry I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but I sincerely think there is something up with your system.

• 10. Re: CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?
                            LantauMan Level 1

Eugene, of course I've thought of that. But the evidence points to something more inbetween: an incompatility between my systems (plural) and Adobe products only, with perhaps both at fault. The CS4 updating problem occurred on my previous system. For various reasons I trashed that computer and got a new one. The very first non-Microsoft programs I installed were the CS4 suite. Well, guess what? First AIR updates failed one after the other, then anything that needed AIR, such as Media Encoder, failed to update and then stopped working entirely. Photoshop CS4 failed to update yet again. I lived with it. I also wasn't alone. I checked the forums and saw louder moans than mine on this same issue.

If I was the only single user experiencing the issues of nonconnectivity of CSLive, and malfunction of MiniBridge, in every application, I'd believe it's my system's fault only. But I've found enough evidence on these forums and elsewhere that the problem I'm having, though not rampant, is not unique to me. That means there is still hope for a possible workaround.

If anyone has a suggestion for any kind of workaround specifically to install MiniBridge in its latest form for CS5.5 applications--other than reformatting my computer and hoping it maybe works this time around--I will be delighted to try it!

And by the way, Eugene, I genuinely appreciate your taking the trouble to post your various suggestions. Everyone else, too.

• 11. Re: CS5.5 - Where is Mini Bridge?

I've seen other people's grievances in this regard before. And I still say it's their system setup.

Have you tried logging in as a different user?

Have you contacted Adobe Support.

I have to say that for me when there's an issue installing an update for any program, I usually find it was an issue with my computer rather than the update software.

I don't have any other suggestions for you.